Page 32 of 55 FirstFirst ... 22272829303132333435363742 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    It's kinda hard to decipher {code} blocks in mobile view... Yes, you are right, it looks like the only thing played with was /media/internal.

M.
    I see what everyone means now. oops I guess its back to tinkering around again and playing with parted and resizefat
    Sprint pre -> Motorola Photon 4G
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    If its correcting the size of the fat/media partition we are worried about, can't it be formatted via the usb cable?
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theXfactor2011 View Post
    I see what everyone means now. oops I guess its back to tinkering around again and playing with parted and resizefat
    Parted doesn't see the vfat partition table correcctly so I'd recommend against using that.

Palm uses resizefat in the doctor. You can see it in the output. Here's somebody else's post with output to show an example of how it is called.
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post2930700

I have searched a LOT to find documentation or source for resizefat on the web. No luck. I'd recommend running dosfsck on the partition after running resizefat.
    Quote Originally Posted by carrel View Post
    I have searched a LOT to find documentation or source for resizefat on the web. No luck. I'd recommend running dosfsck on the partition after running resizefat.
    resizefat --help

It seems pretty self-explanatory.

M.
    meh its working fine for me now, so I will just make sure to not fill up my /media/internal drive.

Im sorry 369mb swap partition is AWESOME. Never going back...NEVER!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    meh its working fine for me now, so I will just make sure to not fill up my /media/internal drive.

Im sorry 369mb swap partition is AWESOME. Never going back...NEVER!!
    Give it 5+ *DAYS* of uptime and see if you feel the same way.

M.
    I use preset reset daily.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    I don't think that matters. Once data is corrupted on the media/internal volume,it will stay corrupted. And cryptofs resides there too.
    Then all this is pretty much pointless for you. I drive my phone pretty hard and if I was rebooting every day (Windows mentality strikes again...), I wouldn't be bothering with all this.

M.
    Then all this is pretty much pointless for you. I drive my phone pretty hard and if I was rebooting every day (Windows mentality strikes again...), I wouldn't be bothering with all this.
    For the record - neither my work laptop nor my home Vista laptop are rebooted except once in a while. I go weeks without rebooting either - sometimes much longer.

So don't insult Windows because someone plays reboot every day with their phone!

M.

I drive my phone harder than you.

Touchstone in the car: upon putting it on Mode Switcher loads:

Music Remix
    Navit
    Google Maps
    Where
    Trapster
    Laditude Updater

When I put it on my touchstone on my Bike it does the same thing, except loads Smartrunner too.

combine that with a PDK game here and there and by the end of the day my Pre is hitting 150mb of swap easy.

Trust me, I need this.
    and yes I have a Touchstone on my bike, its powered by a Nokia dynamo with an adapter.

Im the ultimate WebOS nerd.

And if you were wondering, no, the magnet isnt strong enough, I cut a hole in the back of a generic phone bike mount.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    And if you were wondering, no, the magnet isnt strong enough, I cut a hole in the back of a generic phone bike mount.
    You have a picture of that?
    I wish the Pre really was capable of handling all those tasks rmausser described without lagging. I'd use my phone just the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    I know, even with all these tweaks it still chokes a bit.

Forget about someone trying to call me.

but I am going to the dev meetup in T.O

Hopefully I can snag an unlocked Veer or Pre 2 if im lucky.

I really would upgrade but my provider Bell doesnt have the Pre2 and I am locked into a 3 year plan. Canada eh...
    Quote Originally Posted by rksand View Post
    You have a picture of that?
    pics in a bit... im too busy these days.
    Just an update on my end:

I tried the following settings on my Pixi:
    ramzswap = 64MB
    swapiness = 70
    dirty/dirty_expire = what Xanadu originally posted.
    cache pressure = 200
    overcommit = 0
    dirty_background/dirty ratio = 5 and 75 (I forget which had which values).

I am now trying the mods recently proposed by rmauser (only the vm stuff). I'm also trying only 48MB of ramzswap.

Conclusions thus far:

The settings I first used made a noticeable difference for the better. RAM typically had 12-2 MB free and swap never used a total of more than 130 MB. Phone also had few, if any major lockups. As soon as I inputed the new settings, my Pixi did a full reset. That seems like it wasn't connected to the change. I'll update after some time with the new settings. Initial impressions though seem to indicate that my new settings aren't as good.
    I only changed item #3 (discussed back on page 21) to 96MB and did not create a sysctl.conf file and the phone is the best its been since migrating to 2.1

Had the sysctl.conf file for a few hours; but while I could have spent time looking for a sweetspot; it seemed more effort than needed considering how well just the 96MB 'swapon -s' was working.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    what would really be nice is if we could somehow incorporate increasing the size of the partition during the dr. phase and still be able to gain access to the usb drive. i would 100% do a clean dr. to do that.
    Who's got a spare Pre- and wants to play?

This should shrink /media/internal *and* update the FS at the same time. After that, stretch the existing swap "partition", "format" and mount it.

Code:
    # umount /media/internal
    # swapoff /dev/store/swap
    # lvm lvresize -r -L -256M /dev/store/media
    # lvm lvresize -L +256M /dev/store/swap
    # mkswap /dev/store/swap
    # swapon /dev/store/swap
    The "-r" is important. The man page says that it "resizes the file system". I don't know if that includes vFAT or not (that's the real BIG TEST here - the rest is nothing special). I can't find anything that says either way. As far as the numbers goes, lvreduce/lvextend/lvresize accept "relative" numbers. You'll see the + and the - above. That's adding and subtracting space rather than giving it exact values as was done before which left "dead space" on the disk.

In theory, it really should be as easy as the above.

Who's got a spare Pre?

M.

#######
    # EDIT:

Just added the umount/swapoff in case there's a person reading this that isn't very Linux savvy...
    #######
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 06/16/2011 at 02:54 PM.