Page 30 of 55 FirstFirst ... 20252627282930313233343540 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    i'm rebooting for SR71 then i'll check.
    Im tryin to do the /etc/event.d/compcache mod on my pixi, but It doesnt seem to even have the compcache file...help?

I have a compcache capable kernel installed and govnah. What do I need to get the compcache file by default, so I can edit it from there?
    Quote Originally Posted by carrel View Post
    That looks right except for the 300 Meg swap partition. Are you sure that first number isn't a 1? 106488 is what I have. 300M would be great, but I just can't see how you would have that.
    lol, yep, sorry. typo.

so far my feelings of the change are unsure. it feels snappier and smoother but has weird like freeze/stops when doing things like swiping and opening apps ect.

are there other modifications to test?
    Hey guys.

So, I have been secretly working on sysctl settings without updating them. Just constantly refining.

Yesterday i made a mistake while entering in values, and accidentally came across some really great numbers. A penicillin moment if you will.

So, I am going to keep whittling away and then when I feel its appropriate release what numbers I am using.

Cheers
    sounds great bud!

for the record, i've noticed awesome performance after turned auto garbage collect on in Jstop.
    Quote Originally Posted by GenTarkin View Post
    Im tryin to do the /etc/event.d/compcache mod on my pixi, but It doesnt seem to even have the compcache file...help?

I have a compcache capable kernel installed and govnah. What do I need to get the compcache file by default, so I can edit it from there?
    I'm currently using the script file that the softswap stuff was in, but replaced the guts with what I found here. Essentially, modprobe wouldn't work for whatever reason. Softswap instead uses insmod /lib/modules/'uname -r'/extra/[insert module name] and I replaced modprobe with this. Other than that, I kept the same script. If this was a bad idea, someone please chime in, as to me this was fine as everything was set-up without a problem.

I have to say, Palm must have known the Pixi was a dog and gave it a substantial amount of swap space. With the script enabled, I'm looking at a total of 295 MB of swap space. I will keep with this set-up for a while to see how it goes. Given the slightly lower availability of RAM in the Pixi, and the larger swap, I may increase swappiness to try to have more RAM available for opening apps. I'll see what happens when I mess with the settings and I'll post my findings. If I like what I see, I'll make the script into one that enables on startup (I have it located in media/internal for now to prevent any accidental startup in case of a crash). So far, with just this done, Govnah is reporting 188/13 for memory usage. I have never seen swap usage this low... ever. This looks very promising.
    i had to get a replacement phone and have a quick question. on top of post 419 you are still using the updated lunasysmgr and sysctl right?
    thanks
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    i had to get a replacement phone and have a quick question. on top of post 419 you are still using the updated lunasysmgr and sysctl right?
    thanks
    I am not.

I personally believe that the LunaSysMgr change is doing nothing now that there is real swap. Overcommit set to zero is still going to overcommit beyond the total amount of VM. This won't effect performance but may effect behavior if you start running out of VM. (I wrote about this in detail in an earlier post.) The sysctl changes have real potential and I like what others are doing with them. (Some are truly tuning swap/vm performance. Some are not. Some settings mentioned affect data writes to disk, and NOT vm.)

I am happy with the defaults. I think this depends on personal usage patterns. I would like to also play with the sysctl settings but I don't have the time right now to do the kind of performance testing that I would want to do, as I'm playing with other things. I'm not trying to steer you or anyone else away from them. Not at all. I'm just saying that I'm not using them.
    Thank you for the quick response. so you are finding real benefits with the changes made to compcache only?
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    I'm currently using the script file that the softswap stuff was in, but replaced the guts with what I found here. Essentially, modprobe wouldn't work for whatever reason. Softswap instead uses insmod /lib/modules/'uname -r'/extra/[insert module name] and I replaced modprobe with this. Other than that, I kept the same script. If this was a bad idea, someone please chime in, as to me this was fine as everything was set-up without a problem.

I have to say, Palm must have known the Pixi was a dog and gave it a substantial amount of swap space. With the script enabled, I'm looking at a total of 295 MB of swap space. I will keep with this set-up for a while to see how it goes. Given the slightly lower availability of RAM in the Pixi, and the larger swap, I may increase swappiness to try to have more RAM available for opening apps. I'll see what happens when I mess with the settings and I'll post my findings. If I like what I see, I'll make the script into one that enables on startup (I have it located in media/internal for now to prevent any accidental startup in case of a crash). So far, with just this done, Govnah is reporting 188/13 for memory usage. I have never seen swap usage this low... ever. This looks very promising.
    Yeah, I ended up doing this as well. I have been using the softswapon / off scripts for a little while. So, I changed the guts of it with the info in this thread, works great.
    I have set compcache to only 64MB though because, It seems when the pixi starts eating its ram for compcache it dogs down. So, having max usage of around 20-25M for RAM dedicated to compcache is good.

Also, has it been proven that a high swappiness value is indeed better than a low one? Cuz, I was running swappiness at 0 for a while to prevent swapping. Because once the swap fills up these things need a freakin reboot to clear it again, which sucks!
    But it also makes sense for a high swappiness value to encourage most used apps to remain in RAM, it just fills up swap fast as hell =/
    There must be a mem leak in luna somewhere, I wish swap or luna would release the damn no longer used pages.
    one more question. i have a friend who is currently running the original lunasysmgr change and sysctl settings. if i want to get rid of that i just swap in the old lunasysmgr and delete sysctl right?
    thanks
    one more question. i have a friend who is currently running the original lunasysmgr change and sysctl settings. if i want to get rid of that i just swap in the old lunasysmgr and delete sysctl right?
    thanks
    correct
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GenTarkin View Post
    Also, has it been proven that a high swappiness value is indeed better than a low one? Cuz, I was running swappiness at 0 for a while to prevent swapping. Because once the swap fills up these things need a freakin reboot to clear it again, which sucks!
    But it also makes sense for a high swappiness value to encourage most used apps to remain in RAM, it just fills up swap fast as hell =/
    There must be a mem leak in luna somewhere, I wish swap or luna would release the damn no longer used pages.
    Luna could certainly have a memory leak, but this doesn't prove that. Much of what you are seeing is behavior of Linux's memory allocation scheme. When a process malloc's memory, the kernel gives it to the process, but doesn't actually "reserve" or set aside the memory until it is used. Luna is a huge process and many of its capabilities are not always used. Initially you may be only utilizing a small portion of it, and as you open more and more apps, then you utilize more and more features of Luna and Luna uses more and more memory. That is why Luna appears to grow. But it does seem to stabilize out, which indicates that there aren't memory leaks (or at least not huge ones) and it is just a big honkin' program.

Our problem is that Luna stabilizes out at a point that all of our VM is pretty much used up. Another Linux-ism is that it doesn't behave well when VM is full or even nearly full. That makes sense. The kernel needs memory and it just isn't there. With a Pre- or Pixi, we run out of total VM and then things go wonky. 256 M of RAM and 100M of swap just isn't enough. Adding 96M of compcache increases the total VM but at a performance cost.

This is why I am working on increasing the size of swap. Swap is slow, which is a drag (pun intended). But if there is enough total VM then the system should be stable and I'll take stable over speed.
    Cool, well that explains things LOL. So, your working on resizing the actual swap partition...what to something like 512MB or something?
    Newest Super Settings

So, I accidentally came across these settings. I would have never in my right mind have tried this.

But after a couple days of testing it seems they work awesome. They by no means are perfect, and I have only tried with 96mb of compcache, but instead of long freezes things seem to pause for quick milliseconds before recovering completely. Its like it smooths the long freeze into a short burst of the kernel quickly fixing things constantly. Which I would much prefer myself.

Here they are.

Code:
    vm.swappiness = 0
    vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 200
    vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 18000
    vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 6000
    vm.dirty_background_ratio = 0
    vm.dirty_ratio = 0
    vm.min_free_kbytes = 4096
    Again, this isn't perfect. BUT, it really pushes hard to fix itself.

I was up to 140mb swap at one point and things were getting slow, and after I closed a PDK app, swap slowly went back down and the system became responsive again. Let me at least say that it was the first time I've seen the system "come back to life" after getting hit pretty hard.

Tested with 96mb compcache but going to test with 32mb and then no compcache. I think it will be better due to the nature of the setup.
    Are you also using the commented out lunasysmgr and the changes to compcache?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Are you also using the commented out lunasysmgr and the changes to compcache?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Yeah I was going to ask that too.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    I do not believe it really matters at this point.

Also, I tried those settings with no compcache yesturday.

My phone froze while on the touchstone last night...dont know if it was related.

Trying 32mb next.

I *MIGHT* change swapiness to 60 too, but the part that really seems to stop locking is setting "Dirty" ratio and background to 0.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    I do not believe it really matters at this point.

Also, I tried those settings with no compcache yesturday.

My phone froze while on the touchstone last night...dont know if it was related.

Trying 32mb next.

I *MIGHT* change swapiness to 60 too, but the part that really seems to stop locking is setting "Dirty" ratio and background to 0.
    I also tried the setting swappiness=0 and my pixi plus 2.1 also froze at some point, before a 24 hr period.
    after dr. my phone to a fresh 2.1 and using like that for a while before trying the new compache settings i dont know if i am seeing a huge benefit to it. i am going to try it in conjuntion with the other settings that i originally had back from post 74 and see if that helps. i had ok results with those before. anyone find a nice sysctl settings that are giving good results. apparently the swappiness=0 is freezing phones.
    thanks