Page 27 of 55 FirstFirst ... 17222324252627282930313237 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 540 of 1081
Like Tree13Likes
  1. #521  
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    from what i understand you should not be running govnah for long periods of time. that is unless your trying to fill up your memory quickly to test. because it is constantly polling while open.
    yup, i only opened govnah at some points, read out the data and closed it again.
  2. #522  
    i read through some linux pages and discovered, that when you set vm.swappiness = 0 then swap will only be used if the kernel really has no choice but to swap.

    1. would that cause huge lags?
    2. would that keep swap as small as possible for the longest amount of time possible?

    Would be good if answer 1 was no and 2 was yes but i fear it is yes, yes.

    best regards,

    Heino
  3. carrel's Avatar
    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    #523  
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    No i meant carrel.
    NO. The first post references Post #74 which, was really great. But that still used compcache's backing store. I'd say that is now obsolete. I think pretty much everyone seriously testing this now has switched off backing store and is using that disk area as physical swap. There are differences on how much compcache to use with this and which sysctl settings are optimal.

    I'd suggest start with post 419 and then play with how much compcache is ideal for you and which sysctl settings give you the best behavior. I tried at a discussion of choosing compcache size in post 422. I personally have not done much testing of the sysctl changes and others have done more more there.

    I think the next big thing needed is more swap. Once that is figured out and tested, it will probably be time to write this up somewhere in a single place.
  4. carrel's Avatar
    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    #524  
    Quote Originally Posted by heino View Post
    i read through some linux pages and discovered, that when you set vm.swappiness = 0 then swap will only be used if the kernel really has no choice but to swap.

    1. would that cause huge lags?
    2. would that keep swap as small as possible for the longest amount of time possible?

    Would be good if answer 1 was no and 2 was yes but i fear it is yes, yes.

    best regards,

    Heino
    The problem with a setting of zero is that you know that you need swap. If you wait until the last possible moment, then you know you will get delays when you are trying to do something. Normally the VM system is trying to be smart and move memory that hasn't been used for a while into swap. It tries to keep some RAM free so that when you do something new, there is RAM ready. Ideally it moves memory to/from swap in the background as much as possible. At zero, it shouldn't be able to do that.

    The default values are very general purpose and not necessarily optimized to your usae behavior and your hardware. But they are "reasonable". I think swappiness of 0 would really be less than optimal.

    But it doesn't mean you can't try it. It would be interesting to know what you thought of it.
  5. #525  
    Quote Originally Posted by theXfactor2011 View Post
    Sorry for being away seems like progress has been made. I figure I could share my settings now that I have had a few weeks of success.

    Code:
    root@Harry Palm Pre:/var/home/root# free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           239        208         30          0          0         50
    -/+ buffers/cache:        156         82
    Swap:          199          0        199
    root@Harry Palm Pre:/var/home/root# free -m -s 120
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           239        235          4          0          0         71
    -/+ buffers/cache:        162         76
    Swap:          199          0        199
    
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           239        233          5          0          1         44
    -/+ buffers/cache:        187         52
    Swap:          199         10        189
    
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           239        233          5          0          1         39
    -/+ buffers/cache:        192         47
    Swap:          199         38        161
    
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           239        206         32          0          1         43
    -/+ buffers/cache:        161         78
    Swap:          199         35        164
    
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           239        217         22          0          2         48
    -/+ buffers/cache:        166         73
    Swap:          199         35        164
    
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           239        217         22          0          2         48
    -/+ buffers/cache:        166         73
    Swap:          199         35        164
    
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           239        222         17          0          3         51
    -/+ buffers/cache:        167         71
    Swap:          199         35        164
    
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           239        227         12          0          4         52
    -/+ buffers/cache:        170         68
    Swap:          199         35        164
    
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           239        226         12          0          4         52
    -/+ buffers/cache:        169         69
    Swap:          199         35        164
    
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           239        226         12          0          4         52
    -/+ buffers/cache:        169         69
    Swap:          199         35        164
    
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           239        230          9          0          4         52
    -/+ buffers/cache:        173         66
    Swap:          199         35        164
    
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           239        231          8          0          4         53
    -/+ buffers/cache:        173         66
    Swap:          199         35        164
    
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           239        225         13          0          4         53
    -/+ buffers/cache:        167         72
    Swap:          199         35        164
    
    
    root@HarryPalm Pre:/var/home/root#
    Above are some test results of using my settings. So the first memory read was taken after a clean reboot. the rest were every 2 mins while I did some stuff and then closed apps opened new ones etc and finally turning off the screen and watching some tv. Not too bad.

    So I'm using the standard 92 mb compcache without backing like most people at this point. (aka modifying the compcache file to say disksize_kb=98304) I have enabled the store swap (swapon /dev/store/swap -p -2). Now for the fun part the sysctl settings in /etc/sysctl.conf

    Code:
    vm.swappiness = 30
    vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 200
    vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 1500
    vm.laptop_mode = 1
    vm.dirty_background_ratio = 5
    vm.dirty_ratio = 60
    vm.min_free_kbytes = 4096
    Yeah there are some new values that we have not looked at before.

    vm.dirty_ratio: percentage of overall memory, that is allowed to contain dirty pages before its flushed.

    vm.dirty_background_ratio: once flush starts, this is the percentage of memory that is allowed to remain dirty.

    Why those values, 60 because our phone is an ssd. 60 gives enough for application use so we dont purge during running the app but its not all the ram we have so I figure its a good buffer zone. 5% because once we start purging I dont want it to take forever and I figure it might not be a bad idea to leave some items behind just in case we open the app again.

    vm.laptop_mode, will fire a flush when we access the disk. so keep the stuff we are using and dump the rest.

    Finally the vm.min_free_kbytes is just the amount of memory reserved for kernel use. I started at 4 mb and I'm thinking of lowering it to 2 just to see what happens figure take all we can get. However, setting it too low may crash the phone.

    Good Luck.

    also one last mem check
    Code:
    root@Harry Palm Pre:/var/home/root# free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           239        217         21          0          4         45
    -/+ buffers/cache:        167         71
    Swap:          199         35        164
    still seems to be working
    I tried these settings but then decided to change sysctl to this

    Code:
    vm.swappiness = 90
    vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 200
    vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 18000
    vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 6000
    vm.laptop_mode = 1
    vm.dirty_background_ratio = 5
    vm.dirty_ratio = 20
    vm.min_free_kbytes = 4096
    I like these settings better so far.

    I like high swapiness, call me weird but my phone lags like crazy with low swapiness.
  6. #526  
    I feel like apps not in focus should be in compressed memory while the one in focus(or ones programmed to be in regular memory) should be in regular memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  7. #527  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    I tried these settings but then decided to change sysctl to this

    Code:
    vm.swappiness = 90
    vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 200
    vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 18000
    vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 6000
    vm.laptop_mode = 1
    vm.dirty_background_ratio = 5
    vm.dirty_ratio = 20
    vm.min_free_kbytes = 4096
    I like these settings better so far.

    I like high swapiness, call me weird but my phone lags like crazy with low swapiness.

    Before you go playing with laptop_mode, you may want to read up on it:

    Linux Kernel Documentation :: laptops : laptop-mode.txt

    Without the userspace tools for it, I'm not sure that it'll do anything anyway.


    M.
  8. #528  
    Quote Originally Posted by carrel View Post
    NO. The first post references Post #74 which, was really great. But that still used compcache's backing store. I'd say that is now obsolete. I think pretty much everyone seriously testing this now has switched off backing store and is using that disk area as physical swap. There are differences on how much compcache to use with this and which sysctl settings are optimal.

    I'd suggest start with post 419 and then play with how much compcache is ideal for you and which sysctl settings give you the best behavior. I tried at a discussion of choosing compcache size in post 422. I personally have not done much testing of the sysctl changes and others have done more more there.

    I think the next big thing needed is more swap. Once that is figured out and tested, it will probably be time to write this up somewhere in a single place.
    i followed post 419 and restarted my phone. should govnah be showing 96MB in the compcache section of my overclock profile? because it still says 32MB even though i changed what you said.
  9. #529  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    i followed post 419 and restarted my phone. should govnah be showing 96MB in the compcache section of my overclock profile? because it still says 32MB even though i changed what you said.

    You were supposed to disable compcache in Govnah so it didn't change things.


    M.
  10. #530  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    You were supposed to disable compcache in Govnah so it didn't change things.


    M.
    ah thanks.
  11. #531  
    if it says that its disabled in govnah, whats the est way to test and make sure the changes took effect?
  12. carrel's Avatar
    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    #532  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    i followed post 419 and restarted my phone. should govnah be showing 96MB in the compcache section of my overclock profile? because it still says 32MB even though i changed what you said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    You were supposed to disable compcache in Govnah so it didn't change things.


    M.
    Yeah! What Xanadu said! When you have it right, you should be able to run 'swapon -s' and see a 96 M compcache and 100 M swap. Govnah tells me I have compcache disabled (because it didn't enable it) but swapon tells me the truth.
  13. carrel's Avatar
    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    #533  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Before you go playing with laptop_mode, you may want to read up on it:

    Linux Kernel Documentation :: laptops : laptop-mode.txt

    Without the userspace tools for it, I'm not sure that it'll do anything anyway.


    M.
    I agree. laptop_mode is primarily intended for laptops that spin down their disks. It helps limit spin-up to conserve power. The downside is that you risk losing data because file data (not swap, but your files) is buffered MUCH longer than normal. Since flash doesn't spin up, laptop_mode doesn't seem like it would add anything and the risk is significant.
  14. carrel's Avatar
    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    #534  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    if it says that its disabled in govnah, whats the est way to test and make sure the changes took effect?
    Here is an example.
  15. #535  
    Quote Originally Posted by carrel View Post
    Yeah! What Xanadu said! When you have it right, you should be able to run 'swapon -s' and see a 96 M compcache and 100 M swap. Govnah tells me I have compcache disabled (because it didn't enable it) but swapon tells me the truth.
    sorry for not quite understanding but where should i run that? i used Xterm and it gave me some information but didn't seem to match what you said i should see.
    Last edited by blackfireball5; 06/06/2011 at 06:19 PM.
  16. #536  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    sorry for not quite understanding but where should i run that? i used Xterm and it gave me some information but didn't seem to match what you said i should see.
    You haven't rebooted since you saved a Govnah profile with compcache disabled, right?


    M.
  17. #537  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    You haven't rebooted since you saved a Govnah profile with compcache disabled, right?


    M.
    yes, i have rebooted.
  18. #538  
    I only have the /dev/mapper/store-swap with 106488 Size and 28316 used. -1 priotity. does that sound right?
  19. carrel's Avatar
    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    #539  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    I only have the /dev/mapper/store-swap with 106488 Size and 28316 used. -1 priotity. does that sound right?
    No. That says that your compcache is missing. What does your /etc/event.d/compcache look like? Can you post it here?

    In govnah did you set compcache to zero or disabled? (I don't even know if you can set it to zero.) Did you go back to govnah after you rebooted and verify that it thinks compcache is disabled?
  20. #540  
    i just copied your exact code from post 419. restarted the phone. and it is the same thing with the numbers being size = 106488 and used = 19132

    Quote Originally Posted by carrel View Post
    What does your /etc/event.d/compcache look like? Can you post it here?

    In govnah did you set compcache to zero or disabled?
    govnah says compressed swap is 'disabled'.

Posting Permissions