Page 24 of 55 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324252627282934 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    rmausser should I do what you said in http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2976158 or your latest post 458?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Latest settings. Your gonna laugh.

/etc/sysctl.conf

Code:
    vm.swappiness = 30
    vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 200
    vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 18000
    vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 6000

/etc/event.d/compcache

make sure to add these lines if you havent already!!

Code:
    mkswap /dev/store/swap
    swapon /dev/store/swap
    comment out line "modprobe ramzswap disksize_kb="

Code:
     #modprobe ramzswap disksize_kb=
    comment out line "swapon /dev/ramzswap0 -p 100"

Code:
      #swapon /dev/ramzswap0 -p 100
    Yup thats right.

Completely disabling compcache.

With the low swapiness and the new disk swap, I am having excellent results.

Maybe we can increase the disk swap size to 200mb for this set up, as there isnt the compcache as well.
    And the default backing swap in /etc/event.d/compcache is still commented out too, right?

Code:
    modprobe ramzswap memlimit_kb=32768 backing_swap=/dev/store/swap
    yes. comment that out too.

I am finding that this setup (without compcache) is good if you only use a couple apps at a time.

I tend to be a heavier app user and have multiple apps open at once.

So if you are an app power mutlitasker, stick with 96mb compcache.

Your phone will be slightly slower overall, but wont lock up.
    when you say heavier app user with apps running at the same time can you ellaborate? of course for different people heavy user means diff things. just curious.
    thanks
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Disabled compcache. My standard way of using my Pre- is to have Carbon, Facebook, Calendar, Messaging, Email, Weatherdashboard, and Morestocks running. It would work for a while but eventually, even with all the things you guys have come up with, it would lock up. That may still happen but this is running great for the first 30 minutes. Since going to 2.1, I was never able to open the camera with those things open. I just did, awesome! And I am getting no missed letters as I type right now. Hopefully this holds up, but regardless this is the best my Pre has ever run, thanks.
    im a bit confused by your post, did you disable compcache just now and with everything else your now working great and when you had all the other tweaks but still had compcache enabled it would lock up?
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    im a bit confused by your post, did you disable compcache just now and with everything else your now working great and when you had all the other tweaks but still had compcache enabled it would lock up?
    I have made almost all of the changes in this thread. The only thing that really has made a difference is the latest post from rmausser that disables compcache.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    yes. comment that out too.

I am finding that this setup (without compcache) is good if you only use a couple apps at a time.

I tend to be a heavier app user and have multiple apps open at once.

So if you are an app power mutlitasker, stick with 96mb compcache.

Your phone will be slightly slower overall, but wont lock up.
    Did you observe/record any swap usage stats while running this test?

What you are saying here makes sense. Without compcache, you get more RAM, but once you use up the RAM, then you go to swap which is slow. So this might be good for people running just a few apps, hence using less memory and needing less/no swap. For a user using more apps, then having compcache increases the amount of VM before you need to go to physical swap. You get less RAM, but RAM+compcache is larger than RAM without compcache and compcache is slower than RAM but faster than swap. So this is exactly what I would expect.

One thing though... Luna seems to grow over time, though it does top out. So even a user running fewer apps may find that after a day or so, things get quite slow with a zero compcache setup. I would think that almost everyone will want some amount of compcache. (But I get in trouble when I think too much.) :-)
    Still a little confused between these two things.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Latest settings. Your gonna laugh.

/etc/sysctl.conf

Code:
    vm.swappiness = 30
    vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 200
    vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 18000
    vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 6000

Those numbers look familiar.

I'll give it a shot completely disabling compcahe and see what happens here.

M.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Can someone that is running with zero compcache post the output of "free -m" ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by carrel View Post

Thanks
    Code:
    root@My Pre:/# free -m
    '             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           239        219         20          0          3         69
    -/+ buffers/cache:        146         93
    Swap:          103          0        103
    I just rebooted about a half hour ago, though.

M.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carrel View Post

Thanks
    I have only been using Internalz Pro to change these files. How do I do that?
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Code:
    free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           239        231          7          0          2         46
    -/+ buffers/cache:        182         57
    Swap:          103         83         20
    4 hours uptime and at 82 MB swap
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Thanks. But unfortunately it is not telling me the information that I was hoping to find. My output (with 96M compcache is)
    Code:
    carrel@ - Palm Pre:~$ free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           239        223         15          0          1         43
    -/+ buffers/cache:        178         60
    Swap:          199         76        123
    I was trying to see how much RAM compcache was using. Mine is configured to provide a 96 M "swap" partition. But it should be using about 1/4 that much RAM to do it. Palm did not include the rzstat tool. I was hoping that the RAM that compcache used would be deducted from the total that "free -m" is reporting. But 239 is the same for both of us, so that is how much memory the kernel sees regardless. Anyone know how to see what compcache is using other than porting the compcache rz* tools?
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Ah ha! I found it.
    Code:
    carrel@ - Palm Pre:~$ /sbin/swapon -s
    Filename                                Type            Size    Used    Priority
    /dev/ramzswap0                          partition       98296   96780   100
    /dev/mapper/store-swap                  partition       106488  0       -2
    carrel@ - Palm Pre:~$ cat /proc/ramzswap
    DiskSize:          98304 kB
    NumReads:          26978
    NumWrites:         26079
    FailedReads:           0
    FailedWrites:          0
    InvalidIO:             0
    NotifyFree:         3390
    ZeroPages:           534
    GoodCompress:         72 %
    NoCompress:            6 %
    PagesStored:       17968
    PagesUsed:          7111
    OrigDataSize:      71872 kB
    ComprDataSize:     27828 kB
    MemUsedTotal:      28444 kB
    At the bottom two lines, you can see that I am using about 27M for a 96M compcache partition. That would be a 4:1 ratio. Not sure why OrigDataSize is 71M. But swapon says that I am using basically all of the compcache.

Here's an interesting paper. Eeepc701 - compcache - Application benchmark on Eeepc 701. - Compressed Caching for Linux - Google Project Hosting
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Oh yeah... One more thought for people testing this. If you have an overclocked kernel that drops down to a lower speed when you are on the charger, then be careful that you are comparing apples to apples. Compcache is awful when I am charging, but not so bad when I am clocked up at 1.1GHz.

I'm sure you all know this, but it's easy to forget.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Swap finally filled up on me and everything is laggy again. Is there a way to make swap clear out faster?
    If you are using the no compcache method I would highly suggest using Preset Reset to restart your phone every night.

This phone eats swap for breakfast.

Ironically I still think 96mb compcache with a high swapiness is best, which was the first option I tried out almost a week ago.

Go figure.

My last test before I give up and settle on 96mb is going to be a crazy 256mb compcache (which will use up 64 mb of actual ram) and 200mb swap (provided we can resize the swap) with swapiness set to 100.

Ramp it up until it breaks, I say.
    looking forward to the results. there is only so much one can do with not enough memory. as long as we can find the best setting to optimize what we do have, i think restarting daily is good practice anyway. no harm in it thats for sure. i dont mind having to reset if the phone boggs way down from heavy use either as long as it doesnt get so bad that it requires a battery pull.