Page 22 of 55 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I have one...but not on me (girlfriend's haha) if noone else reports I will do so tonight when I get it!
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Ok, so now that I am comfortable that VM is stable, I'm starting to look at optimizing it. My 2 cents worth is that the biggest bang for the buck is setting the compcache size. I chose to initially set compcache to 96 meg in a VERY unscientific way. Others have tried running with smaller values with some success, but there seems to be some agreement that results are very subjective. So how can we be more scientific and more objective??

What do we know? ... RAM is fast, compcache is slower and physical swap is the slowest. We also know that increasing the size of compcache reduces the size of RAM but increases the total size of RAM + compcache. Also the size of physical swap is fixed. (Even if we could increase physical swap, who cares, it's slow.) Ideally we barely use physical swap, but we do use it a little. We want to adjust the size of RAM + compcache to be as small as possible (because that makes RAM bigger) but large enough that we only use physical swap a little bit.

Using "swapon -s" we can observe how we are doing. Initially usage always starts low, so don't pay much attention to the values for a while after a reboot (or Luna restart). Luna usage grows over time as you run different apps and the memory isn't all released when that app closes. This isn't a leak, its just Luna doing its thing. It does level off. Now once we are stable, let's run "swapon -s":
    Code:
    carrel@ - Palm Pre:~$ /sbin/swapon -s
    Filename                                Type            Size    Used    Priority
    /dev/ramzswap0                          partition       98296   96836   100
    /dev/mapper/store-swap                  partition       106488  5728    -2
    Looking at that, compcache is basically full and under 6 Megs of physical swap are in use. That's pretty ideal, I think. Now the thing to do is check this at many points in time. It's fine to use more swap if you are temporarily using more apps than you normally do. You'll get some delays, but remember, we are optimizing for our normal usage.

You probably will never see physical swap usage go to zero. Even when compcache usage is less than full. Some memory gets allocated and seems to be rarely, if ever, used so it remains in swap and never brought up to higher priority compcache or RAM. (Why should the VM system bother using resources to move it if you aren't using it.)

If you find that compcache is ususally not close to full, then you probably can decrease the size of your compcache. If you see that a significant amount of swap is usually being used, then you probably should increase the size of compcache. The test of your settings is how balanced you are with your usage.

OK, so that's my analysis. I included no numbers here because I'm hoping to discuss the concepts and analysis methodology, rather than just people's personal observations. What do people think? Make sense? Any other analysis tools that people are using?
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Ok, I have a few questions, i type in swapon -s and get this:

Code:
    blahblah:$ /var/home/root/swapon -s
    Filename                                Type            Size    Used    Priority
    /dev/mapper/store-swap           partition       106488  0       -2
    /dev/ramzswap0                      partition       131064  27464   1
    So basically same idea, but the questions I have are
    1) Why (if it matters) is my store listed first?

2) Why is the priority of my ramzswap0 only 1?

3) Why is my ramzswap0 size so damn big?

EDIT: Keep in mind I'm using the same settings, and the sysctl.conf that rm recently posted.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snpalavan View Post

Code:
    So basically same idea, but the questions I have are
    1) Why (if it matters) is my store listed first?

2) Why is the priority of my ramzswap0 only 1?

3) Why is my ramzswap0 size so damn big?

EDIT: Keep in mind I'm using the same settings, and the sysctl.conf that rm recently posted.
    Hmmm, that is different.

I would guess, 1) because the physical swap was created before the compcache, 2) & 3) I would guess something got mistyped.

Did you do any of this by hand?

Did you ever do any of the things posted much earlier in this thread where there was a script to occasionally remove swap and then re-create it? (Could that still be around?) This is my number #1 guess as to what is happening!!!

How long ago did you last reboot? How does it look right after a reboot?

Can you post your entire /etc/event.d/compcache file.

Dave
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts

Code:
    Uh... why is swapon in /var/home/root/ ?? You should be using /sbin/swapon
    I have to admit, been using the Sysctl settings I made in post 420 (hehehe) for half the day today, and they have been stellar.

On idle my swap whittles itself down to a nice 65mb, not too small but not too big.

Really enjoying this setting.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    That's directly from copy/paste out of linux terminal from novaterm. But I did restart and now its ramz first at 100 priority (98296 mb) then swap at -2 priority (106488 mb). However, it runs from wherever doesn't show /var/home/root unless i'm in that folder.

EDIT: The problem was leftover code from previous testing totally forgot to check thanks! Now it works fine haha.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    And for the base Palm kernel on 1.4.5 (I have to type on phone excuse me):

Code:
    error: permission denied on key 'kernel.sched_nr_migration'
    error: permission denied on key 'net.ipv4.route.flush'
    vm.overcommit_memory = 1
    vm.panic_on_oom = 0
    vm.oom_kill_allocating_task = 0
    vm.oom_late_helper = /usr/sbin/oom_late_helper
    vm.overcommit_ratio = 50
    vm.page-cluster = 3
    vm.dirty_background_ratio = 5
    vm.dirty_ratio = 10
    vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 500
    vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 6000
    vm.nr_pdflush_threads = 2
    vm.swappiness = 60
    vm.lowmem_reserve_ratio = 25632
    vm.drop_caches = 0
    vm.min_free_kbytes = 1999
    vm.percpu_pagelist_fraction = 0
    vm.max_map_count = 65536
    vm.laptop_mode = 0
    vm.block_dump = 0
    vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 100
    that's all of the output I get
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    And for the base Palm kernel on 1.4.5 (I have to type on phone excuse me):

Code:
    error: permission denied on key 'kernel.sched_nr_migration'
    error: permission denied on key 'net.ipv4.route.flush'
    vm.overcommit_memory = 1
    vm.panic_on_oom = 0
    vm.oom_kill_allocating_task = 0
    vm.oom_late_helper = /usr/sbin/oom_late_helper
    vm.overcommit_ratio = 50
    vm.page-cluster = 3
    vm.dirty_background_ratio = 5
    vm.dirty_ratio = 10
    vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 500
    vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 6000
    vm.nr_pdflush_threads = 2
    vm.swappiness = 60
    vm.lowmem_reserve_ratio = 25632
    vm.drop_caches = 0
    vm.min_free_kbytes = 1999
    vm.percpu_pagelist_fraction = 0
    vm.max_map_count = 65536
    vm.laptop_mode = 0
    vm.block_dump = 0
    vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 100
    that's all of the output I get
    Thanks. That's identical to 2.1.0. I think that shows that Palm wasn't really tuning this and more certainly wasn't tuning it for the Pre- vs. the Pre+.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    no problemo! Sucked...had to type that ALL on the phone haha!
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Ok I had an issue with the settings using the video recording. After 15 seconds or so the phone froze and reset. This was no ordinary reboot, however, when the phone turned back on I had lost 'settings'. (Govnah, Preware, etc. acted as if they had never been run)

First, has any one else experienced this, or is it due to some other tinkering I have done because so far everything else has worked flawlessly. And second, what would have happened to cause the setting loss...perhaps memory related??
    Its well known, that if you don't make a clean shutdown you may loose seting.
    I think it's filesystem related.
    and it looks like you had a hard crash.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Save Restore might be useful in these situations.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Save Restore might be useful in these situations.
    Oh yes, I forgot to shamelessly plug Save/Restore, i had used that two days ago and it did indeed save my booty. No major settings, just things like the initial page on apps, and stuff like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post

This is true, and there's a way to "fix" that also.

Some dolt at Palm thought it was a good idea to change /var's mount option to: "data=writeback" in /etc/fstab. GET RID OF THAT so the kernel falls back to the default for ext3 of "data=ordered". First from the man page:

Quote Originally Posted by man mount

writeback

Data ordering is not preserved - data may be written into the main filesystem after its metadata has been committed to the journal. This is rumoured to be the highest-throughput option. It guarantees internal filesystem integrity, however it can allow old data to appear in files after a crash and journal recovery.
    Quote Originally Posted by man mount

ordered

This is the default mode. All data is forced directly out to the main file system prior to its metadata being committed to the journal.

In human terms, in the event of a dirty shutdown, there's NO GUARANTEE that the journal was updated with what is current in the filesystem (the kernel devs even say "it gets to it when it gets to it; it could be seconds, minutes, or even hours later."), so when the journal replays at next boot, the file system will get over written with old/bad/incomplete/etc. data which, in our case, often wipes out all our personal settings.

I made this change about a year ago and with all the dirty shutdowns from bad kernel settings, battery pulls, etc., I have NOT ONCE lost all my settings again.

Stupid, stupid, Palm.

M.
    http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf

It appears someone outside of this group is looking at optimizing flash storage on Linux and they propose a new way of doing that.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post

Some dolt at Palm thought it was a good idea to change /var's mount option to: "data=writeback" in /etc/fstab. GET RID OF THAT so the kernel falls back to the default for ext3 of "data=ordered".
    Could you enlighten those of us who are not so linux savvy on how to do that? I'm a little tired of that issue myself.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf

It appears someone outside of this group is looking at optimizing flash storage on Linux and they propose a new way of doing that.
    It would be awesome if we could optimize our flash memory to the point that compcache would not even be necessary.

Could you imagine? 256mb of flash disk swap at the same speed as compcache with all 256mb of ram available as actual ram.....
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    It would be awesome if we could optimize our flash memory to the point that compcache would not even be necessary.

Could you imagine? 256mb of flash disk swap at the same speed as compcache with all 256mb of ram available as actual ram.....
    That would be nice but the article only promised about 20% improvement if I recall - it also reduced unnecessary write cycles on the flash.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post

Stupid, stupid, Palm.

M.
    Totally wish i had known about this a long time ago, has happened a few times haha thanks!

On a separate note, I was running fine with the new settings, but out of nowhere my phone no longer works. What i mean is:
    I click on name to call and phone app shows up but no number in the area at the top.
    Pressing the call button after typing a number does nothing, it sits there.
    Texting works fine both in and out of wifi and in and out of roaming.
    Phone is not 'offline' or in 'airplane mode'.
    I get the alert for missed calls, but never have any indication that a call is incoming until then.

The reason i ask here is because this is the most recent fiddling I have done with my phone. I assume it has something to do with altering the memory, but it also might not. I'm going to doctor it to see if that helps (it's about time for one of those anyway).