Page 19 of 55 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carrel View Post
    Hmmm, I am beating on this puppy hard and she keeps recovering. But I do notice swapping delays sometimes. Well, of course some of that is just inevitable. But I was looking at tuning and I went back to post #74 and found some math there is wrong. In particular, the centiseconds values are off by a factor of 10. Instead of 3 minutes, that values gives you 30 minutes. Without rebooting I have changed my values to
    Code:
    vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 6000
    vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 1500
    I closed a bunch of apps to see if swap was reclaimed. It was. But interestingly about 20M of compcache was free-ed up and almost 16M remains in the physical swap. I was hoping to see the vm system migrate that memory to the higher priority compcache swap partition. But it did not. Maybe it wont bother with it until I access it. But the good news is that I have seen the physical swap partition's usage actually decrease over time. Not much, but it has. Now to keep watching...
    This seems to be the best implementation I've tried thus far. I can open and close muntiple apps, including hogs like Classic, and the phone recovers well and is generally more responsive, but for a few swap pauses that i think are tollerable.
    But I was looking at tuning and I went back to post #74 and found some math there is wrong. In particular, the centiseconds values are off by a factor of 10. Instead of 3 minutes, that values gives you 30 minutes.
    Yumpin' Yimminy! I can't believe I messed that up! You are 100% correct. I'll go back an edit that post for future generations.

M.
    Code:
    mkswap /dev/store/swap
    swapon /dev/store/swap
    I get

/dev/store/swap: Device or resource busy

with the first command. Help?
    This is awesome work you guys:

I have also added these values and am having good results:

vm.swappiness = 100
    vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 200
    vm.dirty_ratio = 40
    vm.dirty_background_ratio= 0

This is a bit extreme so maybe you want to try:

vm.swappiness = 90
    vm.dirty_ratio = 40
    vm.dirty_background_ratio= 10

first.

Lets get the swap to 200mb. I can afford the space on my memory.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    I agree, this is awesome. My swap is running high (like 102) after running many intensive apps, but the phone remains zippy. I think its doing a better job of keeping ram available. I've been able to go from Classic, to NFS to web browsing and back without a notable change in responsiveness.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    I get

/dev/store/swap: Device or resource busy

with the first command. Help?
    By default /etc/event.d/compcache is configured to use /dev/store/swap as compcache's backing store. It can not be both at the same time. Did you disable that and set compcache to have no backing store??
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    +1

Is there any easy way to disable the swap partition and use swap files? I would think due to flash wear we should be using files not partitions and creating a second one when we want to disable the old one and move to new flash areas. This assumes the flash in the phone is not automatically implementing some type of wear leveling.
    I don't think I'd worry about flash wear with modern flash. /dev/store/swap is this 100M partition available to us. (Actually it's a link to /dev/mapper/store-swap.) I haven't figured out exactly what/where it is. Maybe that's my next investigation. What is block device 254,5??? Does anyone know?

Off to go sailing now...
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    This is awesome work you guys:

I have also added these values and am having good results:

vm.swappiness = 100
    vm.dirty_ratio = 40
    vm.dirty_background_ratio= 0

This is a bit extreme so maybe you want to try:

vm.swappiness = 90
    vm.dirty_ratio = 40
    vm.dirty_background_ratio= 10

first.

Lets get the swap to 200mb. I can afford the space on my memory.
    Update, changed it to

vm.swappiness = 100
    #vm.dirty_ratio = 40
    #vm.dirty_background_ratio= 0

Dont add those two last lines yet. Im not happy with the results.

swappiness at 100 is fine tho.
    swaphack.sh isn't getting run by default. It's just sitting there to tempt us. I thought of running it, but it does a little more than I wanted.

I simply changed /etc/event.d/compcache to create a 96M compcache with no backing store. I changed the line to:
    Code:
    modprobe ramzswap disksize_kb=98304
    May I suggest using Memlimit rather than Disksize? As in

Code:
     modprobe ramzswap memlimit_kb=98304
    memlimit is resizeable on demand, and disksize is a static size.

With memlimit, if there isnt any swap, the kernel can use that space as actual ram instead, and dynamically make the size of the ramzswap smaller or larger depending on demand.

Why use up ram that you arent using?
    Last edited by rmausser; 05/27/2011 at 06:54 PM.
    By default /etc/event.d/compcache is configured to use /dev/store/swap as compcache's backing store. It can not be both at the same time. Did you disable that and set compcache to have no backing store??
    Yes, I made your other suggested change to kill the backing store and allocate 96 MB to compcache. Or at least I think I did.
    THESE NEW SETTINGS ARE AMAZING!!

Just had to say. Good work everyone. My phone is usable again. THANK GOD.

To recap so far: (use Internalz Pro on the phone if ur not good with terminal to change these files BUT FIRST MAKE SURE that Internalz Pro is set to LINUX mode. To switch to linux mode open Internalz Pro and "left drop down menu>Preferences>Text Editor>Newline format: LINUX") Also scroll to the bottom of preferences and enable Master mode. BE CAREFUL, you now have the ability to modify system files with Internalz. Turn this off after you hack your phone so you dont delete something by mistake.

Step 1: Change /etc/event.d/LunaSysMgr from:

Code:
    echo "1" > /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory".
    to

Code:
     #echo "1" > /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory".
    Step 2: Make a file in /etc called "sysctl.conf". Open the file with a text editor and write:

Code:

vm.swappiness = 90
    vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 1800
    vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 6000
    Step 3: Open /etc/event.d/compcache.

edit line 10 to say:

Code:
    change line 10 to say ONLY that. Remove the part that says: dev/store/swap after it.

then, after the line 12 in Compcache (swapon /dev/ramzswap0 -p 100, add:

Code:
    mkswap /dev/store/swap
    swapon /dev/store/swap
    Reboot the phone. Enjoy.

**I would highly recommend using the thundercheif F105 kernel if you can, as it overclocks the RAM to 200mhz, which will help with the slow speed of Compcache.**

Explanation:

What we are doing, is making essentially a pyramid of memory.

On the top, we have real RAM, but less of it available. This is reserved only for applications that are currently being open or run and used, so they are responsive to the users input.

In the middle of the pyramid we have Compresses Cache, or RAM that is being used as a compressed swap file. It is slower, but since it compresses the pages, there is more available for the phone to use than the Pre came with. It has the second priority, and is used for applications in the background and things that are not at your immediate attention.

At the bottom we have disk swap. This is the slowest memory, but since we essentially have 8GB of memory on the phone, we could eventually turn this up to be even larger in size. Dirty pages and memory that is currently not being used at all, but the kernel thinks might be available on short notice, like background processes, lives here.

We have organized the kernel to as quickly as possible dump any pages that arent being used to compcache, so that the faster ram is available for the app or device the user is using, hopefully eliminating lag. The advantage is that compcache increases the available amount of memory by compressing the pages, and therefore the kernel doesnt have to clean out the swap and ram as often, which is what is causing those long and painful lags we keep experiencing.

**EDIT**

changed memlimit to disksize.

memlimit isnt working right and is stuck on 60mb according to /sbin/swapon -s. Dont know why.
    Last edited by rmausser; 06/03/2011 at 02:54 PM.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts

I agree, my initial impression, after a few hours of heavy use, are very good!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  13.    #373  
    Wow, nice work yall! These new settings are making my Pre- exciting again! Whoop Whoop!!!
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Is "compressed swap" supposed to enabled in Govnah?

To recap so far: (use Internalz Pro on the phone if ur not good with terminal to change these files BUT FIRST MAKE SURE that Internalz Pro is set to LINUX mode. To switch to linux mode open Internalz Pro and "left drop down menu>Preferences>Text Editor>Newline format: LINUX")

Code:
    to

Code:
    Step 2: Make a file in /etc called "sysctl.conf". Open the file with a text editor and write:

Code:

vm.swappiness = 90

edit line 10 to say:

Code:
    change line 10 to say ONLY that. Remove the part that says: dev/store/swap after it.

Code:
    mkswap /dev/store/swap
    swapon /dev/store/swap
    Reboot the phone. Enjoy.

**I would highly recommend using the thundercheif F105 kernel if you can, as it overclocks the RAM to 200mhz, which will help with the slow speed of Compcache.**

Explanation:

On the top, we have real RAM, but less of it available. This is reserved only for applications that are currently being open or run and used, so they are responsive to the users input.

In the middle of the pyramid we have Compresses Cache, or RAM that is being used as a compressed swap file. It is slower, but since it compresses the pages, there is more available for the phone to use than the Pre came with. It has the second priority, and is used for applications in the background and things that are not at your immediate attention.

At the bottom we have disk swap. This is the slowest memory, but since we essentially have 8GB of memory on the phone, we could eventually turn this up to be even larger in size. Dirty pages and memory that is currently not being used at all, but the kernel thinks might be available on short notice, like background processes, lives here.

We have organized the kernel to as quickly as possible dump any pages that arent being used to compcache, so that the faster ram is available for the app or device the user is using, hopefully eliminating lag. The advantage is that compcache increases the available amount of memory by compressing the pages, and therefore the kernel doesnt have to clean out the swap and ram as often, which is what is causing those long and painful lags we keep experiencing.

**EDIT**

memlimit isnt working right and is stuck on 60mb according to /sbin/swapon -s. Dont know why.
    Ah, I get it now . . . When the earlier poster said he did mkswap, etc., "by hand," I thought he meant they were to be entered at the command-line. Duh.

I have the same question as the poster above: are Govnah swap settings overruled by all this, or do they still need to be set?
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts

To recap so far: (use Internalz Pro on the phone if ur not good with terminal to change these files BUT FIRST MAKE SURE that Internalz Pro is set to LINUX mode. To switch to linux mode open Internalz Pro and "left drop down menu>Preferences>Text Editor>Newline format: LINUX")

Code:
    to

Code:

Code:

vm.swappiness = 90

edit line 10 to say:

Code:

Code:
    mkswap /dev/store/swap
    swapon /dev/store/swap
    Reboot the phone. Enjoy.

Explanation:

**EDIT**

To clarify, is this done with softswap, or compcache via Govnah?

Thanks for these relatively easy to follow instructions using Internals Pro (master mode needs to be turned on in preferences as well as changing to Linux for the Newline format to edit the files). Seems to have made a huge difference to performance on my Pre minus running 2.1.0 particularly as I've also changed from UK to F105 Thunderchief. If the F105 kernel gets updated, will I need to repeat the hack or will it survive an update?
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Is "compressed swap" supposed to enabled in Govnah?
    No. I think because we modified the Compcache file, govnah is confused by it and shows compcache as disabled.

If you go to Terminal and type:

Code:
     /sbin/swapon -s
    You can see both compcache and the new swap file and how its working.

Quote Originally Posted by rksand View Post
    To clarify, is this done with softswap, or compcache via Govnah?
    This is done with neither. If you read the instructions, its done by modifying the "/etc/event.d/compcache file."

Updated instructions for master mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Ah, I get it now . . . When the earlier poster said he did mkswap, etc., "by hand," I thought he meant they were to be entered at the command-line. Duh.

I have the same question as the poster above: are Govnah swap settings overruled by all this, or do they still need to be set?
    actually he did enter it by hand at terminal so it wouldn't stick on reboot in case it bricked his phone.

But we now know its relatively safe.