Page 18 of 55 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    Are you still having success with these settings?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I am still having success but haven't had time to really drive the phone hard, just day to day tasks today.

But, i removed "vm.page-cluster = 5", so its just:

vm.swappiness = 90
    vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 200
    vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 120000
    vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 60000

I have found all the newest other addons did nothing but lock my phone, especially the cluster setting.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    I'm a bit confused on how the size of swap is set. To get 96 meg of compcache, I presume you are editing the stock /etc/event.d/compcache and only changing the one number (I think it originally was 10 meg) to 96 meg. But where is the swap size set to 100 meg?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    I am still having success but haven't had time to really drive the phone hard, just day to day tasks today.

But, i removed "vm.page-cluster = 5", so its just:

vm.swappiness = 90

I have found all the newest other addons did nothing but lock my phone, especially the cluster setting.
    are you still running your compcache at 96mb? are you just editing it through govnah or did you perm. change it?
    I changed it to 96mb in etc/event.d/compcache

changed it to 98304 (kilobytes)

The SSD swap is always set at 100mb by Palm. I'd love to change it to 200mb but I dont know how.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    I changed it to 96mb in etc/event.d/compcache

changed it to 98304 (kilobytes)

The SSD swap is always set at 100mb by Palm. I'd love to change it to 200mb but I dont know how.
    /etc/init.d/swaphack.sh

Be vewy vewy caafuu. You're hunting wabbits.

M.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Are you sure swaphack.sh is being run? If it was, then /dev/store/swap should have been added as a swap area. I think it can't be running for two reasons. 1) swapon -s doesn't list /dev/store/swap and 2) compcache is using that area for backing store and it can't be both.

I'm thinking that backing store is a problem. The compcache developers admit that backing store is often less efficient than just having compcache and a separate physical swap. I want to try compcache without backing store and a discreet swap with a lower priority. I think there is no swap on our devices other than compcache. At least not on mine. When people are talking about compcache and swap, they really mean compcache and backing store. Again, at least that's what I am seeing on my Pre-. But I think compcache and swap would be a good combination.

CompilingAndUsingNew - compcache - Compiling and Using ramzswap (0.6 or newer) - Compressed Caching for Linux - Google Project Hosting
    and go down to March 19th.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    /etc/init.d/swaphack.sh

Be vewy vewy caafuu. You're hunting wabbits.

M.
    Wabbit Stuuu
    Well lets get swap running then and disable the backing!
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    I've been following this thread for a while and I love the fact that you guys are experimenting. What I have been hoping for though, is an app that when launched would run the script to clear the swap and then close itself. I am not a developer so I'm not sure if this is even possible. If it is, we could use Mode Switcher to launch it at any frequency we want. Thoughts from people with knowledge?
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    I've been following this thread for a while and I love the fact that you guys are experimenting. What I have been hoping for though, is an app that when launched would run the script to clear the swap and then close itself. I am not a developer so I'm not sure if this is even possible. If it is, we could use Mode Switcher to launch it at any frequency we want. Thoughts from people with knowledge?
    I feel like this is a band-aid solution.

Everytime you run this your phone is going to be unresponsive for about 30 seconds while it clears out the swap.

Im hoping we get things to the point where you dont have to clear out the swap.
  11.    #351  
    yes that would be great, but in the meantime we could have mode switcher running this app everytime the screen shuts off. Any chance that someone can create this even as a band aid solution?
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    OK. so now I have SWAP. I mean real swap!!

Code:
    root@ - Palm Pre:/# swapon -s
    Filename                              Type          Size      Used      Priority
    /dev/ramzswap0                        partition     98296     29700     100
    /dev/mapper/store-swap                partition     106488    0         -2
    I just started this experiment. So I have no real data yet, but I'll report back.

The compcache has no backing store. The VM system will definitely favor the compcache over the physical swap because of the priorities. I also have some tweaks in /etc/sysctl.conf taken from some of the recent postings here. Most notably the high swappiness. If this is stable, then I'll try playing with tuning it. But for now I just want to leave it alone and see how it handles a few days of hard use.
    Quote Originally Posted by carrel View Post
    OK. so now I have SWAP. I mean real swap!!

Code:
    root@ - Palm Pre:/# swapon -s
    Filename                              Type          Size      Used      Priority
    /dev/ramzswap0                        partition     98296     29700     100
    /dev/mapper/store-swap                partition     106488    0         -2
    I just started this experiment. So I have no real data yet, but I'll report back.

What was it you played with to get that working? Comment out a couple things in swaphack.sh?

M.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    swaphack.sh isn't getting run by default. It's just sitting there to tempt us. I thought of running it, but it does a little more than I wanted.

I simply changed /etc/event.d/compcache to create a 96M compcache with no backing store. I changed the line to:
    Code:
    modprobe ramzswap disksize_kb=98304
    Then I did the next step by hand. (This is my phone, after all. I don't want to get stuck if this all fails miserably.) I didn't want this to auto-start if the thing crashed. (Eventually I'll put this in /etc/event.d/compcache) I ran:
    Code:
    mkswap /dev/store/swap
    swapon /dev/store/swap
    And here is my sysctl.conf
    Code:
    vm.swappiness = 90
    #vm.page-cluster = 5
    I know it is way to early to really know, but so far I am really happy. I ran 8 apps all night. This morning the phone is responsive. That's far from conclusive, but it is promissing. I am also seeing that swap is actually being used:
    Code:
    carrel@ - Palm Pre:~$ /sbin/swapon -s
    Filename                                Type            Size    Used    Priority
    /dev/ramzswap0                          partition       98296   86340   100
    /dev/mapper/store-swap                  partition       106488  5200    -2
    More later...
    Has anyone looked at this page:
    Tips for running Linux on a flash device

A lot of similar ideas are expressed there.
    Last edited by Unclevanya; 05/27/2011 at 11:57 AM.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Hmmm, I am beating on this puppy hard and she keeps recovering. But I do notice swapping delays sometimes. Well, of course some of that is just inevitable. But I was looking at tuning and I went back to post #74 and found some math there is wrong. In particular, the centiseconds values are off by a factor of 10. Instead of 3 minutes, that values gives you 30 minutes. Without rebooting I have changed my values to
    Code:
    vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 6000
    vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 1500
    I closed a bunch of apps to see if swap was reclaimed. It was. But interestingly about 20M of compcache was free-ed up and almost 16M remains in the physical swap. I was hoping to see the vm system migrate that memory to the higher priority compcache swap partition. But it did not. Maybe it wont bother with it until I access it. But the good news is that I have seen the physical swap partition's usage actually decrease over time. Not much, but it has. Now to keep watching...
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Has anyone looked at this page:
    Tips for running Linux on a flash device

A lot of similar ideas are expressed there.
    Yep, good ideas. It seems though that we'd like to apply much of what they say to the true swap flash storage, but not to the compcache swap storage in ram. Unfortunately the kernel doesn't give us that much flexibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by carrel View Post
    Yep, good ideas. It seems though that we'd like to apply much of what they say to the true swap flash storage, but not to the compcache swap storage in ram. Unfortunately the kernel doesn't give us that much flexibility.

+1

Is there any easy way to disable the swap partition and use swap files? I would think due to flash wear we should be using files not partitions and creating a second one when we want to disable the old one and move to new flash areas. This assumes the flash in the phone is not automatically implmenting some type of wear leveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    +1

Is there any easy way to disable the swap partition and use swap files? I would think due to flash wear we should be using files not partitions and creating a second one when we want to disable the old one and move to new flash areas. This assumes the flash in the phone is not automatically implmenting some type of wear leveling.
    Yes, it's quite simple (in theory). Move upstart's compcache out of there. Create a swap *file* with dd. Hand type that file in /etc/fstab as swap. It should be that simple. Performance might suffer some because swap *files* aren't as good as swap *partitions*, but we really don't have the choice here.

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 05/27/2011 at 03:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Yes, it's quite simple (in theory). Move upstart's compcache out of there. Create a swap *file* with dd. Hand type that file in /etc/fstab as swap. T should be that simple. Performance might suffer some because swap *files* aren't as good as swap *partitions*, but w really don't have the choice here.
    I know that files once upon a time were not as fast as partitions - but my reading of info on current kernels seems to suggest there isn't much if any penalty for doing that now.

IGNORE BELOW. I talked to a buddy who reminded me that swap might not be in /etc/fstab so I went looking with his help and found it in /dev/store/swap and got it back.

On a related note - if I disable swap using:

swapon -a

and then try to restart it with:

swapon -a

I get a free -m output showing 0 swap. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here... The only reason I did this was to clear out swap to see what impact some new settings would have. After that failed I rebooted and tried without any changes and it persists. I have swap when I restart - but as soon as I use swapoff - I can't seem to get it back with swapon.

FWIW - swapon -s shows no swap devices/files.

I guess I can reboot and see what swapon -s shows when first restarted...
    Last edited by Unclevanya; 05/27/2011 at 12:30 PM.