Page 15 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 1081
Like Tree13Likes
  1. rksand's Avatar
    Posts
    151 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    #281  
    Additionally, when you edit a file, comment out notes to yourself with a # at the start of the line. I can't always remember what mods I do months later, it makes it easy to see what I did, when, why, and I can reference the source.
  2. #282  
    Looks like this thread is moving again. Wooooo! So I'm also guessing people upgraded to the new F105-51 kernel?

    Just to join the convo, im a ubuntu kind of guy. The terminal is a powerful tool and if you havent used it you should give it a try. I normally do my editing in vi but every now and then I have to use emacs
    Sprint pre -> Motorola Photon 4G
  3. #283  
    the F105-51 kernel is giving me problems.

    It wont screenstate from 500mhz to 1.05ghz.

    It just sticks at 500mhz. Reinstalled govnah, same problem.

    Any suggestions?
  4. #284  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    the F105-51 kernel is giving me problems.

    It wont screenstate from 500mhz to 1.05ghz.

    It just sticks at 500mhz. Reinstalled govnah, same problem.

    Any suggestions?

    *I* only use Harrier (I personally have found webOS 2.1 to like a constant freq better - 1.4.5 liked to scale), but I believe 'Psycho changed the charger poll rate to FULL seconds now and Govnah doesn't know how to handle that yet. So I think what you're sing is not that is *doesn't* scale, it's just taking FAR longer than you think it should. If you have it set at "100", let's say, that's 100 FULL seconds now. I do believe Rod/oil are aware of the change and a new rev of Govnah should be out soon.


    M.
  5. #285  
    well yeah the soft swap is actually working but if there is another way to get the same result without the chance of having it not start up and run out of memory. i dont want to have to check it every time i restart. if your way of changing the line in compache essentially does the same then i would like to try it.
  6. #286  
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    well yeah the soft swap is actually working but if there is another way to get the same result without the chance of having it not start up and run out of memory. i dont want to have to check it every time i restart. if your way of changing the line in compache essentially does the same then i would like to try it.
    It would be great to have upstart run this on boot, i agree.
    The other option i'm advocating for, and i'm repeating myself, is to request that commands be executable by Mode Switcher. Sconix has this planned for a future release, and would probably up-prioritize it if a bunch of folks post in that thread: http://forums.precentral.net/enlight...tcher-2-x.html
  7. #287  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    *I* only use Harrier (I personally have found webOS 2.1 to like a constant freq better - 1.4.5 liked to scale), but I believe 'Psycho changed the charger poll rate to FULL seconds now and Govnah doesn't know how to handle that yet. So I think what you're sing is not that is *doesn't* scale, it's just taking FAR longer than you think it should. If you have it set at "100", let's say, that's 100 FULL seconds now. I do believe Rod/oil are aware of the change and a new rev of Govnah should be out soon.


    M.
    How do you find battery life to be on 1 ghz constantly? battery life is very important to me.
  8. #288  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Oops, didn't see this...

    You can edit it any way you feel comfortable editing very low-level system files. As Loopy's experience taught everyone reading these words, one wrong move and the thing won't boot.

    Though I do have to add again, if the "SoftSwap" script thing has been working fine for you, I'm not all that sure it'd be a good idea to back out of it now. This is super pre-alpha grade tests here. It's rarely a good idea to change a lot at once.

    It does baffle me though: If people are so willing to potentially make their phone not boot again, why aren't people taking the time to learn to do these things the right way? Novaterm to the thing, or use SDL Terminal, edit the file with nano. Reboot. Boom. Done. It's never a good idea to only know GUI ways to "work on computers".

    What happens when the GUI can't load?


    M.

    can you recommend something i can read to better understand how to do things through terminal, i have been using it more but would like to understand it more so i can make those changes as you said. i want to edit those two files and remove the soft swap script.
  9. rksand's Avatar
    Posts
    151 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    #289  
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    can you recommend something i can read to better understand how to do things through terminal, i have been using it more but would like to understand it more so i can make those changes as you said. i want to edit those two files and remove the soft swap script.
    Start here:

    Basic Linux Use - WebOS Internals
  10. #290  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    the F105-51 kernel is giving me problems.

    It wont screenstate from 500mhz to 1.05ghz.

    It just sticks at 500mhz. Reinstalled govnah, same problem.

    Any suggestions?
    I noticed that. I deleted my profiles, pulled the battery recreated a profile to my liking. seems to work fine now.
    Sprint pre -> Motorola Photon 4G
  11. #291  
    Just found this while doing some research. It's quite informative, actually.

    Help! Linux ate my RAM!


    M.
  12. #292  
    NickVTPre, can you make another sysctl with the new settings? i dont have a linux system here at work i can do it on. that is how you have to do it correct? then you can just send the file? or can i edit the file through internalz using the linux formatting and then send it?

    xanadu can you post exactly what your compache file looks like? i dont want to take anything out that shouldnt be based on your abbreviated posts.

    thanks
  13. #293  
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    Xanadu can you post exactly what your compache file looks like? i dont want to take anything out that shouldnt be based on your abbreviated posts.

    I wasn't aware they were "abbreviated". I've pasted exactly what /etc/sysctl.conf should look like and exactly the line that needs to change in /etc/event.d/compcache (even going as far as saying that the original should be commented out so it's easier to go back - which really shouldn't have to be said).

    Make the edits, save, reboot. I'm not sure I understand where the confusion is coming from.

    You may want to wait, though. I'm starting to think, after watching the VM system, that I don't know that a swappiness of zero is a good idea. I do still think that the page-cluster should be lower than default to hopefully reduce I/O hit. I'm trying that at zero now with a couple other ideas also.


    M.
  14. #294  
    ok i will wait a bit. i am sorry for all of the questions. i just want to leave as little to chance as possible. maybe i think the line in compache is more than is actually there because of how it looked in internalz. i felt like there was a lot more to the line at the end then what you showed. i dont mean to be a pain and apologize if i am. just trying to make sure i fully understand and can see everything cleanly before i start playing.
    Last edited by graffix31; 05/20/2011 at 01:54 PM.
  15. #295  
    i just edited sysctl in ubuntu and then replaced it on the pre. no when i go to check it, the file opens in word not in internalz. does this mean the formatting is wrong and the file is doing nothing?
  16. rksand's Avatar
    Posts
    151 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    #296  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    ...I'm starting to think, after watching the VM system, that I don't know that a swappiness of zero is a good idea. ...
    M.
    I just changed from sysctl.conf settings from post 258 back to those of post 74. I had found that my swap grew to over 100MB and I had to reboot. This happened several times. I think the settings from post 74 worked better for me.

    I don't think it makes a difference, but I did change from F104 to the just released F105 kernel. Love the new boot screen!
  17. #297  
    ok well i just made the change to sysctl, just adding the new line not changing the swappiness value and added the new line in compcache. everything is booting properly, will report using soon. i to am also thinking about changing from f-105 from f-104.
    Last edited by graffix31; 05/22/2011 at 09:55 AM.
  18. #298  
    Quote Originally Posted by rksand View Post
    I just changed from sysctl.conf settings from post 258 back to those of post 74. I had found that my swap grew to over 100MB and I had to reboot. This happened several times. I think the settings from post 74 worked better for me.

    Yes, that was a bad idea. I was just sitting and watching swap counting up for no reason. New plan of attack test.


    Code:
    vm.swappiness = 30
    vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 200
    vm.page-cluster = 8

    M.
  19. #299  
    Looking forward to the results.


    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  20.    #300  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Yes, that was a bad idea. I was just sitting and watching swap counting up for no reason. New plan of attack test.


    Code:
    vm.swappiness = 30
    vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 200
    vm.page-cluster = 8

    M.
    just to be sure, if testing this, i will replace the code to what is written above only, i should not include the other bit of code from the last test (vm.dirty.....)
    What does this button do?


    crappy phones -->treo 600--> 700p--> 755p--> Pre--->Pre- 2.1 F104-----Franken Pre+ 2.1 f105 ---> Franken pre2 2.2.4
    touchpad 16gig uberkernel woop woop!!!

Posting Permissions