Page 14 of 55 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Really it's just changing a couple existing values in /etc/sysctl.conf and adding one more to it.

"Old":

Code:
    vm.swappiness = 20
    vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 180

vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 180000
    vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 60000
    (proposed) "New":

Code:
    vm.swappiness = 0
    vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 200
    vm.page-cluster = 1

vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 180000
    vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 60000
    Two values and one line. I just had to drone on and on explaining the changes.

The bit at the end about making life easy on yourself by adding a Scripts dir to your path was more for those that don't really use Linux and/or those who didn't have it occur to them. Just a tip to pass on, ya know.

M.
    What's your current thinking on the so-called "dangerous" mods you proposed earlier in the thread. I still have those in place, along with the old swappiness values. Also, are you running this alone, or with the softswap suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    What's your current thinking on the so-called "dangerous" mods you proposed earlier in the thread. I still have those in place, along with the old swappiness values. Also, are you running this alone, or with the softswap suggestions?
    Yeah, I did stick an edit in at the end of my huge rant:

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu
    I did change the way ramzswap is being loaded also. The relevant line in /etc/event.d/compcache looks like:

Code:
    modprobe ramzswap disksize_kb=131072
    That's 128*1024, of course. I decided to try using a nice "round" powers-of-two number that computers like.
    ~~~~~~~

I don't think commenting out the two lines I had found are really all that "dangerous" any more. I had only called it that since I had/have zero idea what it does. Honestly, I don't know that it's done much of anything. I suppose the test would to put them back the way they were and see what happens.

M.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    # EDIT:

I did change the way ramzswap is being loaded also. The relevant line in /etc/event.d/compcache looks like:

Code:
    modprobe ramzswap disksize_kb=131072
    That's 128*1024, of course. I decided to try using a nice "round" powers-of-two number that computers like.

I don't see that line in my /etc/event.d/compcache. I see the line:

Code:
     modprobe ramzswap memlimit_kb=32768 backing_swap=/dev/store/swap
    Was that something you added?
    Quote Originally Posted by rksand View Post
    I don't see that line in my /etc/event.d/compcache. I see the line:

Code:
     modprobe ramzswap memlimit_kb=32768 backing_swap=/dev/store/swap
    Was that something you added?

That's the line I changed. Essentially, that's all the whole script/upstart/etc. script is doing - just changing that one line. I (personally - and mean ZERO offense) don't see the purpose in the whole creating yet another thing to start at boot time to remove modules and putting them back and all that. All that has to happen is changing that one line (commenting out the original of course).

M.
    so can i just go into the sysctl in internalz using the linux formatting of course and change and add those lines and restart
    ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    That's the line I changed. Essentially, that's all the whole script/upstart/etc. script is doing - just changing that one line. I (personally - and mean ZERO offense) don't see the purpose in the whole creating yet another thing to start at boot time to remove modules and putting them back and all that. All that has to happen is changing that one line (commenting out the original of course).

M.
    so what changes are you currently using? are you saying you dont understand that new softswap script? sorry if i sound like a total noob with all of this. i am eating it all up though. love learning about it.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    so can i just go into the sysctl in internalz using the linux formatting of course and change and add those lines and restart
    ?
    Be careful with internalz. See this link:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2953390
    Last edited by rksand; 05/19/2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: missing link
    ?
    You'll have to make / writable, of course as well. Yes, you can use Internalz just make sure you change the EOL setting or your phone may not boot!

M.
    oh boy that doesnt sound good. so how would you replace the file? i have a copy of the original so i can make the changes. can i just follow the steps from the first time? will it overwrite it if it is the same file name? or is there a way i have to delete it?
    Are you saying you don't understand that new softswap script?
    I understand what the script is doing, and that's why I don't understand its existence. I mean, it looks like it should do exactly what it's advertised to do, but just changing the one line in /etc/event.d/compcache does the exact same thing. I guess it helps people who don't really understand what it is they are playing around with from totally hosing their phones, but, at the cost of another point of failure (the script not starting for whatever reason) and the user of a Pre- is (potentially!) left with no swap at all seems to be a fairly high price to pay.

I like the idea, and it *looks* like it should work fine, and I'm sure it helps those that seem to be afraid of text on a black screen, so I say if it works for people go for it. Novaterm (or SDL Terminal when on-the-go) and Nano is much simpler, though.

M.
    oh boy that doesn't sound good. so how would you replace the file? i have a copy of the original so i can make the changes. can i just follow the steps from the first time? will it overwrite it if it is the same file name? or is there a way i have to delete it?
    I'd have to dig though here to see what "the first time" was, but if it worked then, there's no reason it wouldn't now.

I'm just saying that with Internalz (as Loopy found out for us...), the "File Type" needs to be changed to Linux. For a reason I'll probably never come to grips with, a text editor on a Linux OS, able to modify Linux files, should default to a Linux file type. I'm sure Jason had his reasons for setting the default to the Windows EOL, but, I don't see it.

Then again, I only support Windows for money, I don't actually *use* the P.O.S., so 95%+ of my files are Linux EOLs. The ones that aren't are .vbs scripts I've cobbled together over the years for Group Policy pushing, SCCM package installs, Machine setup/imaging, registry hacking scripts, auto-printer installs and migrations (I rather liked that one - took almost a week to get 100%, but it works great), etc., so they need to stay Windows EOL. *BUT* that's what Unix2Dos is for...

M.
    ok i can dig it, ltm. i know how to revert the soft swap script. so here is my question. what is the best method to one, change the settings in the sysctl and then two to change the line in compcache.event.d?

thanks for your help and clarrification.

edit, just saw your second post. so if i repeat the method used to install sysctl the first time using the edited file will it overwrite the original? and how did you modify the other event.d file. again sorry for all the questions but thanks for all the help.
    ok i can dig it, ltm. i know how to revert the soft swap script. so here is my question. what is the best method to one, change the settings in the sysctl and then two to change the line in compcache.event.d?

thanks for your help and clarrification.

edit, just saw your second post. so if i repeat the method used to install sysctl the first time using the edited file will it overwrite the original? and how did you modify the other event.d file. again sorry for all the questions but thanks for all the help.

I don't know that there is a "best way". It's just two different approaches to same solution. Use which ever you feel most comfortable with (not "you" as *you*, but "you" as in whomever is reading this).

~~~~~~~

If you're referring to NickVTPre's post (#110) with the step by step thing, then yes, assuming you've remember to make the file system writable, it'll over-write the existing file. You can always verify afterward (and you probably should just to be on the safe side - it never hurts to be on the safe side of things).

M.
    ok so if i also edit the compcache file i can then send it the same way as sysctl? i have changed my test editor to linux formatting in internalz. i made a back up copy of compache.d so can i just edit that in there or should i use the method i just said?
    NickVTPre where are you for the write up, ltm ltm ltm
    hey so I was wondering, when you set compcache to 131 072 kilobytes (128mb) it shows up in Govnah as "36796". Why is this??
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    hey so I was wondering, when you set compcache to 131 072 kilobytes (128mb) it shows up in Govnah as "36796". Why is this??
    I have no idea since we're disabling compcache in Govnah so it didn't interfere with the things we've been playing with...

M.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    If it shows up at all in Govnah, then softswap isn't running.
    ok so if i also edit the compcache file i can then send it the same way as sysctl? i have changed my test editor to linux formatting in internalz. i made a back up copy of compache.d so can i just edit that in there or should i use the method i just said?
    Oops, didn't see this...

You can edit it any way you feel comfortable editing very low-level system files. As Loopy's experience taught everyone reading these words, one wrong move and the thing won't boot.

Though I do have to add again, if the "SoftSwap" script thing has been working fine for you, I'm not all that sure it'd be a good idea to back out of it now. This is super pre-alpha grade tests here. It's rarely a good idea to change a lot at once.

It does baffle me though: If people are so willing to potentially make their phone not boot again, why aren't people taking the time to learn to do these things the right way? Novaterm to the thing, or use SDL Terminal, edit the file with nano. Reboot. Boom. Done. It's never a good idea to only know GUI ways to "work on computers".

What happens when the GUI can't load?

M.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Personally, I love openssh. Wifi loads early in the boot process and I can putty or filezilla in before luna loads - no cables. With a shared key, its very secure. With 3 basic commands, vi is very easy to learn and use: load, insert, save. Its All in the wiki:

Application:OpenSSH