Page 13 of 55 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    hmmm.... I just did this:

aaand now my Pre wont boot (stuck at linux dude)

Is there any way to modify the file back on a device that wont boot?

or am I looking at WebOSDoctor....sigh.

A webOS device rarely *has* to be Doctored. You might/should be able to novaterm in and undo it. Novacomd starts on the device during the Tux portion, WAY before the flashing boot logo.

M.
    Thanks

one question: does compcache use up more battery than disabling it (using ssd swap only)

I ask this because my sister has a Pre and I am trying to tweak it entirely just for battery life, as that is her biggest complaint.
    Thanks

one question: does compcache use up more battery than disabling it (using ssd swap only)

I ask this because my sister has a Pre and I am trying to tweak it entirely just for battery life, as that is her biggest complaint.
    Inconclusive. I've ben running the change in ramzswap the past few days. 'm probably not the best person to run these tests as I have Koto running ALL night and stream with Ampache Mobile several times during the day. Lots of LARGE things n RAM at all times that always make it into swap. I've still "had" to do a few Luna Restarts the past few days to reduce swapped junk.

As far as battery life goes, if you're trying to increase the time in between charges with the Palm stock battery, just give up now. If you really want good battery life, buy a Mugen 1400 mAh battery. You'll never regret it.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    buy a Mugen 1400 mAh battery.

M.
    Thanks for the tip but I already have bought several.

Still not enough for her tastes. So, I have several kernel/phone tweaks to minimize battery use. Id go into detail but they are found elsewhere on this forum. stay on topic!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrabble View Post
    A couple of questions on this.

1: Will this permanently install this until uninstalled? Will this survive a reboot, or will it need to be done again?

2: Should compcache be disabled permanently so it does not turn back on after a reboot?
    1. This script will last until you remove it. If your pre crashes for any reason it will default to standard settings until a successful reboot.

2. The script will auto disable palms compcache on boot. I ask to turn it off in govnah to avoid errors. In theory though it should disable it for you. But I haven't tested it. In the end none of the errors should be too bad. I believe govnah may complain that a module is already loaded and just doesn't load it.
    I need some clarification on what I'm now reading.
    I followed NickVTPre's instruction in post 110 but didn't see anything about disabling compcache in Govnah. Are we supposed to be disabling compcache in Govnah for this to work as intended?
    I've also modified compcache in event.d to read: "modprobe ramzswap memlimit_kb=65536 backing_swap=/dev/store/swap", should this be changed?
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    I need some clarification on what I'm now reading.
    I followed NickVTPre's instruction in post 110 but didn't see anything about disabling compcache in Govnah. Are we supposed to be disabling compcache in Govnah for this to work as intended?
    I've also modified compcache in event.d to read: "modprobe ramzswap memlimit_kb=65536 backing_swap=/dev/store/swap", should this be changed?
    Right now this thread is full of just running test and "lets see what happens" kind of stuff. As of post 110 that was the best solution. My post #234, has the most recent configuration changes for softswap. It has an easy install script to get everything up. or you could extract the zip and copy SoftSwapEvent to /var/palm/event.d and then reboot. The point of disabling govnah's compcache is to avoid conflicts with which program is trying to configure ramzswap and xvmalloc. Also the new boot event allows you to use softswap without modifying any other linux files making it safer.

I would say to put things back to normal. restore any files you changed related to compcache. reboot, turn off compcache in govnah, run the softswap install script or copy the script posted in post 234 to a file in /var/palm/event.d and reboot. Once you reboot you should be able to run free -m from the terminal and see 159mb of free swap.
    Sprint pre -> Motorola Photon 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    A webOS device rarely *has* to be Doctored. You might/should be able to novaterm in and undo it. Novacomd starts on the device during the Tux portion, WAY before the flashing boot logo.

M.
    Novaterm doesnt seem to work

m*****@m*****:~$ novaterm
    unable to find device
    Am I outta luck?
    Novaterm doesnt seem to work

Am I outta luck?
    if you have a backup you could try
    cat AFile | novacom put file://path/to/AFile

it should read the contents over the old file. Works in linux with novacom and palm sdk.
    I would say to put things back to normal. restore any files you changed related to compcache. reboot, turn off compcache in govnah, run the softswap install script or copy the script posted in post 234 to a file in /var/palm/event.d and reboot. Once you reboot you should be able to run free -m from the terminal and see 159mb of free swap.[/QUOTE]

so have you noticed improvement with this over the change to lunasysmgr and adding the other sysctl file or are you using them all together?
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Just wanted to report, I have been running the latest methods (post 74 and the softswap install script) with very good results. I have been running it for two days now, and while I still needed a reboot once to keep things running smooth, there is definitely a lot less lag, and none of the minute + freeze ups I was experiencing before.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    I would say to put things back to normal. restore any files you changed related to compcache. reboot, turn off compcache in govnah, run the softswap install script or copy the script posted in post 234 to a file in /var/palm/event.d and reboot. Once you reboot you should be able to run free -m from the terminal and see 159mb of free swap.
    so have you noticed improvement with this over the change to lunasysmgr and adding the other sysctl file or are you using them all together?[/QUOTE]

I have removed the overcommit value in lunasysmanager, I have my sysctl.conf configured from a post back around page 5 or 6 and I'm running the install script I made a few days ago. Overall I would say performance has improved. Is it perfect, nope, can it get better, maybe. We are limited to palm's / hp's coding and 256mb of ram and there's only so much that can happen. But I am not rebooting every night and lag has dropped. If you haven't tried it but know what to do then I say go for it.
    After disabling all methods for a week and undergo several freeze ups, I have begun to use both methods theXfactor2011 mentioned in previous post. In some days I hope I will report some improvement as it seems initially.

As some users are claiming what methods are being tested, I'm going to do the same now. I am using both methods at once:

1) Swappiness (modifying /etc/event.d/LunaSysMgr and creating /etc/sysctl.conf). Post #74 of Xanadu73 in 05/02/2011, 10:53 PM (using the step-by-step instructions and files from Post #110 of NickVTPre in 05/06/2011, 05:56 AM).

2) Softswap (install script creating /var/palm/event.d/SoftSwapEvent and enabling softswap). Post #234 of theXfactor2011 in 05/14/2011, 02:34 AM.
    Spanish translator of Outline Tracker, UberCalendar, sconix's advanced patches, and other MIA webOS apps. HP Pre 3 and HP TouchPad 64 GB (Espaņol_Espaņa, es_es)
    ok so i just ran the softswap script. am i not supposed to be able to reenable compcache after doing that? does this replace that more or less? if i remove it then everything is fine so i am assuming this is as intended.
    thanks
    ok so i just ran the softswap script. am i not supposed to be able to reenable compcache after doing that? does this replace that more or less? if i remove it then everything is fine so i am assuming this is as intended.
    thanks
    So the script doesn't replace or really do anything to compcache at all. It all comes down to the modules that are loaded. xvmalloc and ramzswap.

when configuring ramzswap compcache uses different parameters then softswap. So softswap unloads the modules xvmalloc.ko and ramzswap.ko and reconfigures them. while ramzswap is active if you turn on compcache in govnah you will get an error that xvmalloc.ko and ramzswap.ko already exist.

The install script creates an event that is in /var/palm/event.d that runs after compcache is setup and just turns it off and reconfigures the modules and starts it back up again. compcache and softswap are excatly the same except the following:

Code:
    #compcache
    modprobe xvmalloc
    modprobe ramzswap memlimit_kb=32768 backing_swap=/dev/store/swap
    Code:
    #softswap
    insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/xvmalloc.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/ramzswap.ko disksize_kb=163840
    side note: insmod and modprobe do exactly the same thing. Just modprobe has more options if need and is used by hp/palm. insmod pretty much loads the module and doesnt care about diagnostic feedback and stuff. more basic tool.

Its just a change in configuration. When softswap is loaded govnah doesnt know what to do since the modules are already active.

The uninstall command of the script turns off softswap, and then deletes the script. when softswap is off the modules are not loaded and govnah runs as normal.

If you run the script and then go into govnah and turn on compcache you should get an error. If compcache starts then softswap is not running. you can get it running by typing the following in the terminal.

initctl start /var/palm/event.d/SoftSwapEvent
    or
    sh /var/palm/event.d/SoftSwapEvent
    i think this actually works pretty well. I notice a bit of a trade off. the huge minute or two hangs are gone but you get more slight hangs it seems. but the swap stays much lower and all and all as long as you arent trying to load a bunch of things at once everything runs nice. but with 256k of memory that is to be expected. thanks everyone for all of your work. this is using both methods btw.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    My experience with my Sprint Pre-, metadr 2.1, and F104A

With mods from post 74 only, swap slowly grew until I needed to restart my phone. It would become very laggy at about 70+ MB swap.

With mods from post 234 only, there appeared to be no swap at all based on running a top command in terminal (is that right?). I also was unable to run NFS as it froze my phone (which makes sense if I had no swap available).

Running both mods from posts 74 and 234 concurrently seems to be working well for the past 2 hours. I have not noticed any significant lag and have been able to load quit and load another memory intensive app without trouble. I have for the first time noticed I can run at 70+ MB swap without lag, and used swap has actually decreased too.

I'll post more as time passes.
    Hey!

I've been keeping an eye on all this, I just have been running my brain ragged the past couple weeks and haven't had really been able to post much.

I have made a slight change to my /etc/sysctl.conf "tweaks". My current sysctl.conf looks like:

Code:
    vm.swappiness = 0
    vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 200
    vm.page-cluster = 1

vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 180000
    vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 60000
    A few big changes there. The times for the dirty_* stuff is the same. What I changed was "vm.swappiness", "vm.vfs_cache_pressure", and have added "vm.page-cluster". I'll explain:

I dropped the swappiness to zero because the kernel will only shove stuff out to swap when it's in DIRE need to free up RAM, *BUT*, putting the vfs_cache_pressure at 200 will make cached file/directory inodes VERY expendable and totally dump that first to free up RAM. The page-cluster is a bit more complex. First, from the kernel documentation:

Quote Originally Posted by /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sysctl/vm.txt
    page-cluster controls the number of pages which are written to swap in
    a single attempt. The swap I/O size.

It is a logarithmic value - setting it to zero means "1 page", setting
    it to 1 means "2 pages", setting it to 2 means "4 pages", etc.

The default value is three (eight pages at a time). There may be some
    small benefits in tuning this to a different value if your workload is
    swap-intensive.
    Got that?!? Basically, reducing this value won't have any direct impact on what gets swapped and what doesn't, *BUT* what it will do is take smaller chunks at a time when it does. It'll still swap out what ever it's there to swap, but it should be FAR less I/O intensive of a operation hopefully reducing the HUGE lags we see when it is doing a lot of swapping.

Cool.

Bottom line:

Further reduced the kernels tendency to swap by making chached inodes VERY expendable (vfs_cache_pressure) and the kernel will do everything it can not to swap (swappiness). When it does swap, we shouldn't see the huge I/O lags that we currently do (page-cluster).

Good stuff!

Also, if you want to "watch" all this, check out "vmstat". Fire up SDL Terminal, and type "vmstat", you'll see:

Code:
    root@My Pre:/# vmstat
    procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- -system-- ----cpu----
     r  b   swpd   free   buff  cache   si   so    bi    bo   in   cs us sy id wa
     2  0    520  24140   4352  66640    0    0   110    24  414  548 15  4 72  9
    That's FAR too wide for our little screens, so, I did this:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

vmstat -S K 5 | awk '{print $3, $4, $5, $6}'
    Which looks like:

Code:
    ---swap-- -----io---- -system-- ----cpu----
    swpd free buff cache
    520 22692 4484 66768
    520 22548 4484 66768
    That fits really nice on our screens. It'll output a new line every 5 seconds so you can watch your system's VM at work. To make life easy on yourself, you may want to consider doing what I do to my Pre. Make a directory /media/internal/Scripts. Add that to your path in /etc/profile:

At the top you'll see:

PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin"

Change it to:

PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/media/internal/Scripts"

Drop all your scripts in /media/internal/Scripts and because that is now a part of your path, you don't have to type the full path to the script you want to run, just type it:

Code:
    root@My Pre:/# vmstat 
    procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- -system-- ----cpu----
     r  b   swpd   free   buff  cache   si   so    bi    bo   in   cs us sy id wa
     4  0    520  23120   4572  66792    0    0    94    21  379  491 13  4 75  8
    root@My Pre:/# ls -l /media/internal/Scripts/prevmstat 
    -rwxrwxrwx    1        57 May 19 11:42 /media/internal/Scripts/prevmstat
    root@My Pre:/# prevmstat 
    ---swap-- -----io---- -system-- ----cpu----
    swpd free buff cache
    520 23096 4572 66792
    520 22952 4572 66792

Enjoy!

#----------
    # EDIT:

I did change the way ramzswap is being loaded also. The relevant line in /etc/event.d/compcache looks like:

Code:
    modprobe ramzswap disksize_kb=131072
    That's 128*1024, of course. I decided to try using a nice "round" powers-of-two number that computers like.
    #----------

M.
    wow that was a lot and all makes sence. but if we are already using the old way what is the method to change everything to what you are saying? step by step would be much appreciated :-) a little much to wrap my head around. but when i can walk through it i can understand it much better.
    wow that was a lot and all makes sence. but if we are already using the old way what is the method to change everything to what you are saying? step by step would be much appreciated :-) a little much to wrap my head around. but when i can walk through it i can understand it much better.

Really it's just changing a couple existing values in /etc/sysctl.conf and adding one more to it.

"Old":

Code:
    vm.swappiness = 20
    vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 180

(proposed) "New":

Code:
    vm.swappiness = 0
    vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 200
    vm.page-cluster = 1

Two values and one line. I just had to drone on and on explaining the changes.

The bit at the end about making life easy on yourself by adding a Scripts dir to your path was more for those that don't really use Linux and/or those who didn't have it occur to them. Just a tip to pass on, ya know.

M.