Page 12 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    So thats what the name problem is. I just updated palms compcache to 32 mb so i wouldnt have to deal with it. Interesting enough I havent seen any problems with having no disk backing. Ive played games, checked email, rebooted, all kinds of things. No crashing, better performance, not perfect still some lags but better. I'm thinking that it would be possible to update govnah to change the disk limit instead of the mem limit and just drop the backing part. It would make it easier for others to test. they would just have to manually enable it on reboot. Maybe if things look promising, mode switcher could auto enable it or something.
    Sprint pre -> Motorola Photon 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by theXfactor2011 View Post
    So that's what the name problem is.
    Yeppers. And there's no real/sane solution either (that I'm aware of - I'm no dev though). It would take modifying /etc/event.d/compcache in order to "fix" it.

M.
    im just testing something out and was wondering how govnah knows to change the value of memlimit_kb=value. I'm trying to make the softswap setup configurable through govnah. Does it grep the line for memlimit and then change the value? or something similar. I'm thinking something like..
    Code:
    description "Govnah CompCache Configuration"

start on stopped finish
    stop on runlevel [!2]

script

[ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m com.palm.properties.prevBootPanicked`" = "false" ] || exit 0
    [ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m com.palm.properties.prevShutdownClean`" = "true" ] || exit 0
    [ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m -n com.palm.system last_umount_clean`"  = "true" ] || exit 0

swapoff -a
    insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/xvmalloc.ko
    memlimit_kb=32768
    insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/ramzswap.ko disksize_kb=$memlimit_kb 
    sleep 3
    swapon /dev/ramzswap0 -p 1

end script
    kind of trick it lol
    im just testing something out and was wondering how govnah knows to change the value of memlimit_kb=value. I'm trying to make the softswap setup configurable through govnah. Does it grep the line for memlimit and then change the value? or something similar.
    None of the above.

It writes its own file in /var/palm/event.d:

Code:
    root@My Pre:/var/palm/event.d# cat org.webosinternals.govnah-settings 
    description "Govnah Settings"

start on stopped finish

script

[ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m com.palm.properties.prevBootPanicked`" = "false" ] || exit 0
    [ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m com.palm.properties.prevShutdownClean`" = "true" ] || exit 0
    [ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m -n com.palm.system last_umount_clean`"  = "true" ] || exit 0

echo -n 'vdemand' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo -n '65 62 60' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/vdemand/vdemand_vsel_vdd1
    echo -n '43 40 38' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/vdemand/vdemand_vsel_vdd2
    echo -n '52' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/override/cpu_hightemp_alarm
    echo -n '45' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/override/cpu_hightemp_reset
    echo -n '25' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/override/battery_scaleback_percent
    echo -n '1' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/override/override_charger

end script
    It simply re-writes that file every time you change your profile. You can watch it, actually.

Code:
    root@My Pre:/var/palm/event.d# ls -l org.webosinternals.govnah-settings
    -rw-r--r--    1       901 May 11 10:48 org.webosinternals.govnah-settings
    Tap your Profile in Govnah

Code:
    root@My Pre:/var/palm/event.d# ls -l org.webosinternals.govnah-settings
    -rw-r--r--    1       901 May 11 16:33 org.webosinternals.govnah-settings
    Note the time difference.

M.
    isnt the settings file just for cpu related stuff. It looked like compcache was in org.webosinternals.govnah-compcache in /var/palm/event.d

but nothing changed when I changed the size of my compcache.
    Code:
    root@Harry's Palm Pre:/var/palm/event.d# ls -l org.webosinternals.gov
    nah-compcache
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root           663 May 11 16:15 org.webosinternals.govnah-compcache
    root@Harry's Palm Pre:/var/palm/event.d# ls -l org.webosinternals.gov
    nah-compcache
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root           663 May 11 16:15 org.webosinternals.govnah-compcache
    so that file isnt being rewritten. however changing how i thought it was read doesnt do anything either.

Code:
    root@Harry's Palm Pre:/var/palm/event.d# cat org.webosinternals.govna
    h-compcache
    description "Govnah CompCache Configuration"

start on stopped finish
    stop on runlevel [!2]

script

swapoff -a
    memlimit_kb=32768
    #insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/ramzswap.ko memlimit_kb=32768 backing_swap=/dev/mapper/store-swap
    sleep 3

end script
    Looks like no easy way to get a large set of test data.
    removed due to false alarm in my reading lol
    Last edited by theXfactor2011; 05/11/2011 at 04:43 PM. Reason: i lied
    So is anyone having luck with the ramswap script, and getting it to work on upstart? If so i'll write up some instructions to get it going.
    I followed your instructions (post 110 or so) for applying this on the device about 10 hours ago.
    I'm running F104A at 1100/500, permanent compcache setting of 65536.
    This morning Govnah is fluctuating between 230/78 and 236/78.
    I have open at the moment:

Messaging: Summary view (stack 1)
    Email: All Inbox view (stack 1)
    Email: New compose email (stack 1)
    Browser: 3 instances (stack 2)
    Govnah
    Calendar

I'm experiencing some lag but not what I've been accustomed to.

Is there any other data you guys would like?

Edit: After submitting this reply, Govnah is now 230/90 - 235/90. Gonna close some apps and see what happens.
    Last edited by NachoB; 05/13/2011 at 08:11 AM.
    I closed all apps and let it sit for 15 mins. Govnah reporting 213/69.

With Govnah and 1 Web instance running its 225/69.
  10.    #230  
    i"m interested in testing this but am unsure of how to implement it.
    What does this button do?

crappy phones -->treo 600--> 700p--> 755p--> Pre--->Pre- 2.1 F104-----Franken Pre+ 2.1 f105 ---> Franken pre2 2.2.4
    touchpad 16gig uberkernel woop woop!!!
    Im am going to try and make a general install / uninstall script for those who would like to give it a shot. As long as they can ssh into there phone. I should have something for everyone later this evening.
  12.    #232  
    awesome!
    Im am going to try and make a general install / uninstall script for those who would like to give it a shot.
    Great!!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Okay so here is my install script. Its very basic and pretty much puts a file where it needs to be so you dont have to. it also will remove the file and put things back the way they were. This is only for the softswap stuff. If you played with the swappiness or any other sysctrl.conf settings this will not change those settings. Also it is probably a good idea to return any modified files for compcache back to there original. So now onto the good stuff.

This replaces any previous posts on softswap config. This will not touch anything outside the palm directory or Media/internal
    I take no responsibility for anything that happens to your pre.You must have ssh or novaterm to use this. Be prepared that in the worse case you may have to doctor your phone. Back up anything you want to keep and assume the worse. Now here we go

Turn off Compcache at this time. Govnah click on profile -> settings -> compcache set to off and hit apply.

Put your phone in usb mode and copy the softswapinstall.zip onto it. Extract the files there. you will have 2 files SoftSwapEvent, and softswap.
    exit usb mode.

ssh into your phone and you will be at the terminal root@something :
    Type cd /media/internal
    run the script ./softswap install
    Code:
    root@Harry's Palm Pre:/# cd /media/internal/
    root@Harry's Palm Pre:/media/internal# ./softswap install
    Starting Softswap
    ERROR: Module ramzswap does not exist in /proc/modules
    ERROR: Module xvmalloc does not exist in /proc/modules
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           239        226         13          0         11         59
    -/+ buffers/cache:        155         84
    Swap:          159          0        159
    Softswap installed
    root@Harry's Palm Pre:/media/internal#
    Those 2 Errors are just basic checks they wont hurt anything.

There you have it its installed.

To Remove:
    Go to media internal
    run ./softswap remove
    This will remove the softswap boot event and delete SoftSwapEvent from /var/palm/event.d and set the swap back to normal. you can now go back and re-enable compcache like normal.

Code:
    root@Harry's Palm Pre:/media/internal# ./softswap remove
    Softswap removed
    root@Harry's Palm Pre:/media/internal# free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           239        229          9          0          3         53
    -/+ buffers/cache:        172         67
    Swap:          103          0        103
    root@Harry's Palm Pre:/media/internal#
    As you can see the swap went from 159 mb to the standard 103 mb (Compcache has not been re-enabled you can due that in govnah)

There is a fail safe if your phone crashes or kernel panics, on reboot the SoftSwapEvent will not run. You can either reboot normally or run sh /var/palm/event.d/SoftSwapEvent

if you want to change the swap size you can do the following:
    edit the SoftSwapEvent in /var/palm/event.d
    Just change the value of: memlimit_kb to something else. however with the pre
    160mb ish looks to be fine.

Code:
    start on stopped finish
    script

swapoff -a
    rmmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/ramzswap.ko
    rmmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/xvmalloc.ko
    sleep 1

memlimit_kb=163840

sleep 3

end script
    Good Luck everyone
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by theXfactor2011; 05/14/2011 at 10:20 AM. Reason: clarified some things
    So after using softswap for a while, I have come to the conclusion that while it is good in the short run, eventually my Pre grinds to a halt.

This happens especially while viewing full webpages or playing a PDK game.

When I am driving, I have a touchstone mounted in my car and like to run Navit, Google Maps with Traffic, Trapster, and Music Player Remix (I have a bluetooth stereo in my car)

Even with Softswap160 it simply cant handle all of this.

After months of testing I have found that Compcache 32mb is the best option for me.

I feel that softswap is like biking in low gear. On normal ground its fine, but as soon as you hit a hill or steep grade you are going to be exhausted and run out of strength.

Setting the read ahead to 1mb really helps though.

In Novaterm, type:

1) "/usr/sbin/rootfs_open -t"

2) "vi /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/read_ahead_kb"

3) Press "Shift+R"

4) Modify the number 128 to 1024

5) Hit escape

6) type ":wq"

This really speeds up the Pre in terms of responsiveness.

So imo compcache at 32mb with backing swap, thunderchief kernel with 200mhz ram overclock and 1ghz cpu overclock, changing the read ahead to 1mb, and the modifications found on post 74 all combined leads to a pretty consistent and tasty experience on 2.1

I say consistant because while I find 32mb compcache to not be as fast as softswap, its more reliable in the long run when you start openign pdk apps, web pages and multiple apps etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    2) "vi /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/read_ahead_kb"

First, why in the world are you using vi to change a /sys entry?!? Just use echo.

Code:
    echo 1024 > /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/read_ahead_kb
    because /sys and /proc are NOT files. They are generated by the kernel at every boot. You're "editing" it like you think that's permanent. Changes are good that what you're "seeing" is a placebo (unless you're doing that *EVERY* boot - which is ludicrous).

Second, that's really a bad idea. This is FLASH storage. Very little of it is sequential. You're reading a MEG of disk into RAM that there's (probably close to) 90%+ chance the data that's being "read-ahead" has absolutely nothing to do with the file that is currently being looked at. You're better off making the read-ahead zero, actually (like the Pixi people are doing - there's a bunch of links to the work the Pixi people are doing posted not long ago).

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 05/13/2011 at 09:48 PM. Reason: typo
    I am doing it at every boot for now until I decide if it is a good thing to do permanently.

On the PIXI forums they are changing dmsetup to 0:

We added the following lines to bootmisc.sh:

Code:

blockdev --setra none /dev/mapper/store-swap
    blockdev --setra none /dev/mapper/store-var
    blockdev --setra none /dev/mapper/store-media
    blockdev --setra none /dev/mapper/store-update
    blockdev --setra none /dev/mapper/store-log
    blockdev --setra none /dev/mapper/store-root

the command dmsetup info should then return a read ahead value of 0 for all the partitions.:"
    Which is believe is different than mmcblk0 which they are changing to 1024 for use with compcache.

mmcblk0 is device level, dmsetup is RAID level
    So dmsetup is for read ahead from the ssd, but mmcblk0 is totally different.

Apparently the 0 read ahead in dmsetup is better for when not using compcache at all, and mmcblk0 is better with compcache at 1024kb. mmcblk0 is not good at 0 under any circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    First, why in the world are you using vi to change a /sys entry?!? Just use echo.

Code:
    echo 1024 > sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/read_ahead_kb
    because /sys and /proc are NOT files. They are generated by the kernel at every boot. You're "editing" it like you think that's permanent. Changes are good that what you're "seeing" is a placebo (unless you're doing that *EVERY* boot - which is ludicrous).

Second, that's really a bad idea. This is FLASH storage. Very little of it is sequential. You're reading a MEG of disk into RAM that there's (probably close to) 90%+ chance the data that's being "read-ahead" has absolutely nothing to do with the file that is currently being looked at. You're better off making the read-ahead zero, actually (like the Pixi people are doing - there's a bunch of links to the work the Pixi people are doing posted not long ago).

M.
    Can I add this

echo 1024 > sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/read_ahead_kb

to bootmisc.sh as well? or how would I word it to work at every boot
    hmmm.... I just did this:

We added the following lines to bootmisc.sh:

Code:

blockdev --setra none /dev/mapper/store-swap
    blockdev --setra none /dev/mapper/store-var
    blockdev --setra none /dev/mapper/store-media
    blockdev --setra none /dev/mapper/store-update
    blockdev --setra none /dev/mapper/store-log
    blockdev --setra none /dev/mapper/store-root

the command dmsetup info should then return a read ahead value of 0 for all the partitions.:"
    aaand now my Pre wont boot (stuck at linux dude)

Is there any way to modify the file back on a device that wont boot?

or am I looking at WebOSDoctor....sigh.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Okay so here is my install script. Its very basic and pretty much puts a file where it needs to be so you dont have to. it also will remove the file and put things back the way they were. So now onto the good stuff.
    A couple of questions on this.

1: Will this permanently install this until uninstalled? Will this survive a reboot, or will it need to be done again?

2: Should compcache be disabled permanently so it does not turn back on after a reboot?