Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I upgraded my Verizon Pre Plus from 1.4.5 to 2.1.0 and went to install 5x5 icons and that patch isn't supported on 2.1.0. Is there any patches that allow me to change the default 3x3 ? I had alot of great patches installed on 1.4.5, but unfortunately it seems a good deal of the tweaks that made me like the Pre are now unavailable on 2.1.0, which sorta sucks.
    the icons are only available in the 33 setup on 2.1. You get used to it though. The many positives out weight the negitives when comparing 1.4.5 to 2.1 . There are other cool patches that are new and only on 2.1.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Janke, thanks for the quick reply.

I've only had this upgrade for a few hours, but I don't see any huge difference in functionality. What do you think the positives are of going to 2.1.0? I like the ability to voicedial, but other then that, I don't see much difference.
    the searching is far better. You are able to store search engines from sites you visit. Stacks is alright. You will see everything that is improved the more you play around with it.
    auto correct dictionary is key! and stacks are awesome, love exhibition view too.
    Quote Originally Posted by rspinell View Post
    ...I've only had this upgrade for a few hours, but I don't see any huge difference in functionality. What do you think the positives are of going to 2.1.0? I like the ability to voicedial, but other then that, I don't see much difference.
    There are many advantages that 2.x has over 1.4.5. You might check the main Precentral.net page for all of the articles related to webOS 2.x. All of the new stuff in webOS 2.x has been covered in depth.

Stacks, Just Type, Exhibition, under the hood improvements to the system and some built-in apps, sure.. voice dialing, etc... to name a few.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Give it a week, or a couple of days for that matter. It takes a little while to find all the bells and whistles, I was kind of skeptical at first as well. The launcher layout was an issue for about 2 days, if I recall correctly. (And if you still HAVE to have your 5X5 icons, you can always revert back to 1.4.5).
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Thanks for the responses. I would like to stick with 2.1, and most likely will, guess I'll get used to 3x3.

The other thing I'm noticing is that i get an EV icon at the top, I thought I used to get a 3G icon on 1.45. Is EV the same thing as 3G or is it something slower?
    I think it's pretty much the same, I know there's patches you could put on to change it from 3G to EVDO to 4G, etc, etc. Don't forget you can add launcher pages, up to ten I think. I have a lot of apps on my phone, and if I'm lucky use 10% of them. I have to be pretty bored to be searching for that lost app. Most of the time, "Just Type"-ing the first 2 or 3 letters works the fastest, for me.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Having the launcher back to 3x3 didn't particularly bother me, but I place more weight on being able to organize the icons how I want than what size they are... I didn't apply the 4x4 patch until months after it was released.

As far as visible improvements, just 5 minutes with the device shows how much smoother the swiping and notifications are. And while I haven't really taken advantage of Just Type's customizability (I rarely used Universal Search for much other than Google searches and contacts not on speed dial) it's definitely a LOT faster.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the responses and great info. I'm getting by with the 3 x 3, but I really don't like it. It gives the phone the look of something you would give to a kid. I wonder why it was never updated for 2.10.
    Quote Originally Posted by rspinell View Post
    The other thing I'm noticing is that i get an EV icon at the top, I thought I used to get a 3G icon on 1.45. Is EV the same thing as 3G or is it something slower?
    I had the same question initially. Turns out EV and 3G are the same thing. The 3G icon is actually in the device. There's a patch to make it show up instead of the EV one.
    I miss 5x5 icons too. I thought I read somewhere that it's an issue with how the pages are built in 2.x vs 1.x and that "as soon as they figure out the new process" there would be an update. so far, nothing...

IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy