1.    #1  
    I still have webos 1.4.5 on my main phone.
    I want to get webos 2.1 but it looks risky without navigation nd prl update.
    I'm not really technical into this.

so how long does it take for webos to be intalled in a pre- ?
    It's easy, and nothing to worry about. The easiest method is Sprint webOS 2.1.0 Upgrade - simplified

Make sure you read and understand the whole process before starting. Lots of us have already upgraded, and some have gone back. I'm happy enough with it to stay.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I put WebOS 2.1.0 on my Sprint Pre- and it went very smooth after setting up meta-doctor and getting the meta-sprint file all ready to flash on the phone, That took about a half hour tops. Then the actually flash form 1.4.5 to 2.1.0 to the phone only takes maybe like ten minutes. I loved it on my Pre- I had mine oc'd with F104a with screenstatev2 at 500/1.1. I had sprint navigation installed and I had flash installed as well. It ran good it had it's moment of a little lag but nothing so bad that would make you want to go back to 1.4.5 or at least not for me. I did end up doing a FrankenPre+ conversion, Only becaue i got the phone very cheap in great condition and I will say the extra ram in it, Goin form 256 to 512 makes a pretty big difference. But a Sprint Pre- to me is capable of running 2.1.0. That's my 2 cents I hope that it helps ya make a informed decision.
    Sprint Palm Pre+ WebOS 2.1 W/ Flash. OC'D 500/1.1ghz.
    honestly it's simple to do, but I came back to 1.4.5

mainly because of lag, I tried telling myself 2.1 ran fast n didn't lag much with the overclock but when I went back to 1.4.5 with 1ghz I realized I was lying to myself.

this was on a OG Pre though, I'm sure it's tons better on Pre+ or Pre2
    took a half hour or so to download cygwin. After that, the whole process was around ten minutes.
    from the webOS 2 upgrade wiki:

"NOTE THAT USING CYGWIN ON WINDOWS IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED AND WILL MAKE YOUR PHONE FAIL TO BOOT"

don't use Cygwin and make sure you understand the wiki page:
    WebOS 2 Upgrade
    If people download the most recent MetaDoctor, it won't even let them use it. Please, PLEASE!!! STOP USING IT UNTIL SOMEONE FIGURES OUT WHAT'S WRONG!!!!!!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post

"NOTE THAT USING CYGWIN ON WINDOWS IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED AND WILL MAKE YOUR PHONE FAIL TO BOOT"

WebOS 2 Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    If people download the most recent MetaDoctor, it won't even let them use it. Please, PLEASE!!! STOP USING IT UNTIL SOMEONE FIGURES OUT WHAT'S WRONG!!!!!!

Strange, I followed that thread to the letter about a month after the thread was started and had no issues, aside from NOT READING THE INSTRUCTIONS, IN FULL but after I added the correct components, it worked. What happened that it doesn't work anymore?

(I'm not suggesting that they go ahead and use Cygwin, just wondering why it's changed)
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Strange, I followed that thread to the letter about a month after the thread was started and had no issues, aside from NOT READING THE INSTRUCTIONS, IN FULL but after I added the correct components, it worked. What happened that it doesn't work anymore?

(I'm not suggesting that they go ahead and use Cygwin, just wondering why it's changed)
    It's not respecting some symbolic links at the decompression stage on meta doctor. This is random, cannot be reproduced, and leads to weird issues on the devices creates with it.

If you did it, and it worked, consider yourself lucky. But, if you return to the thread with some bizarre issue as running out of space, some apps not updating, media errors, and things equally strange, I'll be the first to bash Cygwin and send you straight to make a proper meta doctor with Linux or a Mac.

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Ok well thanks for the info, I'll keep my eyes open. I haven't had the running out of space, apps not updating, media errors problems that you mentioned, however, it seems that I'm getting more frequent stutters/lag. I think it's more F104A/govnah related, I have to keep a better eye on what freq I'm running at, more than I have been, (as every once in awhile I keep getting set back to default). I have 900MB left in memory, so I should be ok, I think.
  11.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    took a half hour or so to download cygwin. After that, the whole process was around ten minutes.
    Ok I downloaded cywgin.but the thing I didn't understand is where to find the Cmd file Nd doctoring thing.
    Can u specifically tell me what did u do after u downloaded cywgin?
    Really? Cygwin?

Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post

WebOS 2 Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by jesuspantaleon1993 View Post
    Ok I downloaded cywgin.but the thing I didn't understand is where to find the Cmd file Nd doctoring thing.
    Can u specifically tell me what did u do after u downloaded cywgin?
    Delete it....as stated above you will wreck your phone if you continue. Your best bet is to go to the Meta-Doctor Thread and READ THE WHOLE THING AND MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND IT Not trying to be a jerk, but if you just jump into something and screw your phone up, without fully understanding what's going on (at least try to understand), you are going to cause a little bit of grief when you're crying that your phone doesn't work.

Make an effort, and try and read it, and then ask for help, that's all we ask
  14.    #15  
    thanks all for lettin me know what I'm against up..im 17 so I'm pretty new to all this..i hope I don't damage my ohone cause it's the only one I have nd use for everything.lol
    I finally made the leap and upgraded mine a few days ago. It took a few hours, but most of that was the installation of all the necessary components on my computer (eg the SDK, Novacom drivers, Linux). The actual doctoring/restoration process took less than an hour, and the whole process overall was ridiculously easy; just followed all the instructions on the webOS Internals wiki.

Mine runs great with Govnah set to Screenstate 500/800... I dropped down from 500/1000 because the battery life is horrible now (turning off data really helps, though). It's my only complaint, but the benefits far outweigh it. Unless you get severe lag issues (I haven't, but scouring through posts showed me results definitely vary), you'll never want to go back to 1.4.5.

EDIT: Regarding your main concerns, Google Maps still works (if you could call that lackluster app "working"), and there's a section of the walkthrough that guides you through backing up and applying a PRL update before you upgrade. And unless you use roaming a lot, lack of PRL updates won't affect you.
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintPre-1983 View Post
    I put WebOS 2.1.0 on my Sprint Pre- and it went very smooth after setting up meta-doctor and getting the meta-sprint file all ready to flash on the phone, That took about a half hour tops. Then the actually flash form 1.4.5 to 2.1.0 to the phone only takes maybe like ten minutes. I loved it on my Pre- I had mine oc'd with F104a with screenstatev2 at 500/1.1. I had sprint navigation installed and I had flash installed as well. It ran good it had it's moment of a little lag but nothing so bad that would make you want to go back to 1.4.5 or at least not for me. I did end up doing a FrankenPre+ conversion, Only becaue i got the phone very cheap in great condition and I will say the extra ram in it, Goin form 256 to 512 makes a pretty big difference. But a Sprint Pre- to me is capable of running 2.1.0. That's my 2 cents I hope that it helps ya make a informed decision.
    Just remember that not all pre- run the same with 2.1 installed. I had it for about a month and went back to 1.4.5 and now my pre- runs better than it ever did with 2.1.
    LIVE HARD, PLAY HARDER and KNOW WHEN TO SHUT ONES MOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!