View Poll Results: Pre minus 2.1.0 performance with/without overclocking

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre minus runs beter WITH uberkernal overclocking.

14 45.16%
  • Pre minus runs fine WITH stock kernal No overclocking

2 6.45%
  • Still have 1.4.5

15 48.39%
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I have been experimenting with my Pre minus 2.1.0 with Uberkernal installed and I noticed frequent stalls, freezing especially after the phones screen was off. Well not sure why does not make sense to me but I removed uberkernal and went back to stock kernal and all is fine now not a speed demon but much more stable. Anyone else notice this?
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    I have been experimenting with my Pre minus 2.1.0 with Uberkernal installed and I noticed frequent stalls, freezing especially after the phones screen was off. Well not sure why does not make sense to me but I removed uberkernal and went back to stock kernal and all is fine now not a speed demon but much more stable. Anyone else notice this?
    What were your settings? Most importantly were you using Compcache?
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    What were your settings? Most importantly were you using Compcache?

I used to think changes to compache made a difference until I read this
    http://forums.precentral.net/2944379-post1562.html

and here http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post2944379
    I used to think changes to compache made a difference until I read this
    http://forums.precentral.net/2944379-post1562.html
    You can alter this post boot - you can also make changes permanent. But by default it is as you say.
    I think 2.1 runs fine without over clocking. Over clocking DOES speed stuff up a bit and seems to make things run smooth. But the changes they made to 2.1 really is noticeable compared to 1.4.5. Ive been having problems with my phone not booting up. So I might just leave UberKernal off for a while and see if that is the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    I think 2.1 runs fine without over clocking. Over clocking DOES speed stuff up a bit and seems to make things run smooth. But the changes they made to 2.1 really is noticeable compared to 1.4.5. Ive been having problems with my phone not booting up. So I might just leave UberKernal off for a while and see if that is the problem.
    Interesting - I see quite a wide variety of responses to this question over all. My friend recently took his Pre and made a Pre Plus (Sprint FrankenPre) and then upgraded to webOS 2.1 with Metadoc. He felt the improvement from Pre to PrePlus (FrankenPre) was huge. The upgrade to 2.1 slowed him down and made him feel he had to overclock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Interesting - I see quite a wide variety of responses to this question over all. My friend recently took his Pre and made a Pre Plus (Sprint FrankenPre) and then upgraded to webOS 2.1 with Metadoc. He felt the improvement from Pre to PrePlus (FrankenPre) was huge. The upgrade to 2.1 slowed him down and made him feel he had to overclock.
    Really? Maybe it just depends on the doctor and device. I have a verizon pre plus and 2.1 is A LOT more smoother than 1.4.5 on its default kernel. Over clocking just kinda smooths things out and makes it run just right. But its not a huge difference in my experience.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Try removing/uninstalling uberkernal from Preware all together and tell me what you think...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Try removing/uninstalling uberkernal from Prepared all together and tell me what you think...

As in what I think about how it runs and all without UberKernel? I think its still pretty smooth and better than 1.4.5.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    As in what I think about how it runs and all without UberKernel? I think its still pretty smooth and better than 1.4.5.

The problems I was having with uberkernal was with waking the Pre minus from standby and frequent stalls even with 1 card open other than that it was faster over all..just not stable
    The problems I was having with uberkernal was with waking the Pre minus from standby and frequent stalls even with 1 card open other than that it was faster over all..just not stable
    The only stall I really ever had was with the messaging app. But I dont think thats UberKernel. I think thats a common issue in 2.1. For me, UberKernel never gave me a problem. The only problem I ever had with anything on 2.1 was randomly, I couldnt get it to restart and would have to doctor. I dont know for sure if thats UberKernels fault either. I know its a known problem when updating using Cygwin but I even re-doctored completely in Linux and I just had that happen again. So I dont know what the problem is.
    Really? Maybe it just depends on the doctor and device. I have a verizon pre plus and 2.1 is A LOT more smoother than 1.4.5 on its default kernel. Over clocking just kinda smooths things out and makes it run just right. But its not a huge difference in my experience.
    I'm the friend that Unclevanya was talking about. Let me provide a little clarification. I think there are some things that just plain run a *lot* smoother w/out overclocking. The launcher is a great example. The new launcher is a ton smoother. But starting up apps is just not as smooth. A good example of this is govnah. If I start up govnah on a stock palm kernel on 2.1 it takes quite a bit longer before it's ready to run than it was on stock 1.4.5. Unclevanya & I did several side by side tests, with his preplus running 1.4.5 at stock speeds and mine running 2.1 at stock speeds. And some apps (govnah being one) just started up a *lot* slower on 2.1 than on 1.4.5. Other apps started at roughly the same speed (camera & web come to mind).

In general, I think that most apps start a lot slower on stock 2.1 than they did on stock 1.4.5. But there are a number of very visible things on 2.1 that are faster than 1.4.5, and the launcher is the most visible of all of them.

I overclock my sprint pre plus w/2.1 to 800MHz using F102B. I do this to overcome the slowdown of apps starting in 2.1. But I like the battery savings that vdemand & screenstate v2 give me in F102B, too.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 04/25/2011 at 02:52 PM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I must have a "weak" pre because I just tried F102b and still get the lag especilally when I need to enter my password on the lock screen when pre was off....went back to stock kernal no problems, wierd.
    I find my phone unusable if I don't overclock it. But I frequently use a lot resource-intensive apps, and I chose to upgrade under the mindset that it wouldn't be worth if I experienced any significant lag.

Either way, UberKernel hasn't given me any problems. I even went ahead and bumped it down to 500/800 just to conserve battery, which as you've probably noticed is kind of crap after upgrading.
    I ran with 2.1 on my Pre minus overclocked to 1ghz for approx. 1 month and ultimately decided to revert back to 1.4.5 due to random slowness on the phone and instability with the video camera.

I found that the phone ran well when sticking to having only an app or two running at the same time. But as soon as I tried running Music Player remix, Google Maps and Camera app at the same time, the phone started to chug and became unstable when using the video camera.

I miss the auto correct typing features, synergy and the contact favorites the most.

But unfortunately had to revert back due to the inconsistent behavior while running 2.1.
    I must have a "weak" pre because I just tried F102b and still get the lag especilally when I need to enter my password on the lock screen when pre was off....went back to stock kernal no problems, wierd.
    Do you have a pre- or a pre+?????? Because all these guys are talking about pre +'s even though the thread states pre -????????
    LIVE HARD, PLAY HARDER and KNOW WHEN TO SHUT ONES MOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I have a pre minus just like the original post states