1.    #1  
    Recently, my Palm Pre Plus has developed a strange issue. While charging on a touch stone, the pre will reach full charge then offer the audio alert indicating it is once again connected to a power source, except the phone will no longer charge and discharge totally before restarting itself once it has enough power. I am not sure if this is a touchstone related issue or a phone issue as I have two touch stones and both present the same problem - charge to full then totally discharge to charge again.

This is killing my battery, already in the last two weeks I've lost a solid hour in field and that is a huge chunk of time for a Palm Phone. Suggestions? Solutions?
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Not totally sure since yours discharges all the way. My phone used to do something similar, it would charge almost to 100% and just not be able to stay connected to the touchstone, it would go back and forth between charging and not. After a while my touchstone back cover is totally no good anymore, and I have for a fact narrowed it down to that one thing. So maybe try a new touchstone cover? Borrow a friends to test?
  3.    #3  
    I wish I knew another webOS user in person! Almost everyone around me, including the fam, use iPhones or Android. I'll see if I can snag a cover for cheap, I might have done this to myself since I tend to fiddle with the back cover as a bit of a nervous habit. Thanks for the tip!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snazrael View Post
    My phone used to do something similar, it would charge almost to 100% and just not be able to stay connected to the touchstone, it would go back and forth between charging and not. After a while my touchstone back cover is totally no good anymore, and I have for a fact narrowed it down to that one thing.
    This is the "normal" behaviour. Don't know why they implemented it this way.
    It's the same when connected to the wall charger or USB.
    Going to 100 and then down to ~95 and back to 100 and so on.
    The Icon in the systemenu does not indicate that the battery is actual charging even when it looks like.
    I always use dr.battery or govnah in exibition to see that it charges and when it's full.
  5.    #5  
    Well if I had webOS 2.X that would work fine, this happens when I sleep so I wake up with a cardless phone and govnah set to 1 ghz which I do not want! This needs to last until pre 3 lands in august.
    I've got a similar problem with my Touchstone. I opened the case, and discovered that there's some wear on the contacts on the back cover - they're blackened where the body contacts meet. I don't know if that's wear or the metal is actually worn off.

In my particular case, I will pop the phone down on the TS, and it'll take some fidgeting before the "charging" icon stops flashing. Sometimes it'll charge, and sometimes it'll just show the clock but be discharging.

I'm wondering if I can walk into Sprint and pick up a back cover - ?
    I had a similar issue. I opened up the back and cleaned off the contacts with some isopropyl alcohol. So far the issue hasn't returned but it hasn't been that long yet.
    Went to my Sprint store today and asked whether they had any spare TS phone-backs laying around. They had Pixi backs, but none for the Pre. Well, lo and behold, the manager showed up to help the new kid helping me. He said "just enter the back as a return, then order a new one". So, the net result is that I'll be getting a new back for free, shipped to my house. =)

I skipped trying to grill them about future Sprint/webOS collaboration. Instead, I took the advice of someone else on this forum and told them the rumors I've heard here (no Pre3, possibly the slab-phone in August), with the understanding that those of us on PreCentral are far better informed about what's happening than the retail staff. =)

At least I got their manager to admit that webOS is really the best mobile OS out there right now - apart from the whole hardware and apps situation. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    Went to my Sprint store today and asked whether they had any spare TS phone-backs laying around. They had Pixi backs, but none for the Pre. Well, lo and behold, the manager showed up to help the new kid helping me. He said "just enter the back as a return, then order a new one". So, the net result is that I'll be getting a new back for free, shipped to my house. =)

I skipped trying to grill them about future Sprint/webOS collaboration. Instead, I took the advice of someone else on this forum and told them the rumors I've heard here (no Pre3, possibly the slab-phone in August), with the understanding that those of us on PreCentral are far better informed about what's happening than the retail staff. =)

At least I got their manager to admit that webOS is really the best mobile OS out there right now - apart from the whole hardware and apps situation. =)
    That was way too many smilies. I blame the Foster's Lager..

=)
    One comment on the back cover for the Pre: with mine (Pre+) i find there are several "snaps" around the edge of the back. So there is the visible button at the bottom of the phone, and then maybe 1 or two snaps on each side. I think if these weren't engaged the contacts could be poor and you might experience this issue. Whenever i put the back on i make sure to squeeze around the edges until i hear those "snaps".

Prolly obvious, but can't hurt, right?
    fyi - I just got my replacement back cover today. I've popped the Pre on the touchstone several times today, and have had zero problems.