1.    #1  
    I have a sprint frankenpre plus on 2.1 that I put together a couple of weeks ago. Today I finally decided to put my pre- back together and turn it on. I was surprised to see it boot up just like it did before I took it apart, and all my stuff was there (I was using 2.1 before I took it apart). The wifi is on, my emails came in, and it even found updates for my apps. All of this was happening with my pre plus right next to it with a data connection.

Is it possible all of the metadoctoring has made these two phones show up as 1 entity on palms servers?? or is it just a matter of time before one phone supersedes the other and wipes it?

Edit: I just checked device info on both phones, my pre plus lists my profile email address where the pre- doesn't list an email address.
    Last edited by KJBlauw; 04/22/2011 at 02:55 PM.
    Not sure, but interesting either way. Would love HP to adopt a profile agnostic notion and allow using the same profile on phone, tablet, toaster, or otherwise to make it easier to set and forget when it comes to configurations. Not sure how carriers come into play or for that matter developers, but I believe this is the way Android and IOS handle things...one (1) profile on multiple devices. Sorli...
    maybe H/P already enabled multiple profiles
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  4.    #4  
    I'm not sure if android even uses a profile system. I have a few friends with android who replaced their phones and had to use an app in order to restore their apps. It was either that or lose them. Maybe someone with more knowledge of the matter could chime in on that one.

All I know is that i'm pretty excited that I didn't have to metadoctor my old pre- to be able to use it again, and I have access to all of my apps.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    maybe H/P already enabled multiple profiles
    That was my first thought when I saw both phones working fine with a data connection. It's either that or something about mis-matched comm boards and metadoctoring has hp's servers confused
    apparently the wifi-only phone bypassed activation, and is therefore not logged in to a profile on the Palm servers.You can test this by trying to buy an app... you are definitely not logged in to the same profile on Palm servers jsjsjs $because$ $you$ $hav$ $he$ $same$ $email$ $address$ $listed$ $on$ $each$ $phone$. $Only$ $one$ $of$ $them$ $are$ $talking$ $tothe$ $server$.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJBlauw View Post
    I'm not sure if android even uses a profile system. I have a few friends with android who replaced their phones and had to use an app in order to restore their apps. It was either that or lose them. Maybe someone with more knowledge of the matter could chime in on that one.

All I know is that i'm pretty excited that I didn't have to metadoctor my old pre- to be able to use it again, and I have access to all of my apps.
    All Android app purchases and downloads are tied to your Gmail account. They automatically redownload when you sign in to a fresh device.

Sent from my HTC HD2
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    This may have something to do with the subject.
    From @webosinternals on Twitter:
    "http://palm.com/palmprofile has new "Device Name" & "Product" fields, and a new device option to "Remove From My Profile"
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    apparently the wifi-only phone bypassed activation, and is therefore not logged in to a profile on the Palm servers.You can test this by trying to buy an app... you are definitely not logged in to the same profile on Palm servers jsjsjs $because$ $you$ $hav$ $he$ $same$ $email$ $address$ $listed$ $on$ $each$ $phone$. $Only$ $one$ $of$ $them$ $are$ $talking$ $tothe$ $server$.
    this isn't really a wifi only phone. I basically turned it off, then turned it back on with a different comm board (I never redoctored it to be wifi only anyway). But whatever is going on (maybe sprint dr with verizon comm board) is preventing me from even being able to open
    the app catalogue. So I think you're right about it not talking to the server.
    Does this mean if I were to get a pre2 and activate it with my current profile, then come back to my pre-, which I would deactivate from bell, everything would still be there?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    Does this mean if I were to get a pre2 and activate it with my current profile, then come back to my pre-, which I would deactivate from bell, everything would still be there?
    I'm not sure if it would work in this situation or not. I never technically had my pre- deactivated, I just switched out the comm board. Usually what happens in these scenarios is when the new phone is logged into your profile it logs your old phone out. I'm not sure what happened in my situation that prevented my pre- from being wiped. I don't have access to the app catalogue on it though, so its not fully functional either.
    oh I see. Well I'm not looking to have app catalogue access, I'm just looking to keep my texts and call logs
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    Once a phone is logged in to a profile, logging in with the previous profile will wipe the phone and take you to "first use" to log in. If you log in to that phone, it will restore from your profile. If you go back to the second phone, it will do the same. Can't be logged in to the same profile on two devices on Palm's server.

If you use the bypass tool, it logs you in locally and doesn't actually talk to the Palm profile server.
    Once a phone is logged in to a profile, logging in with the previous profile will wipe the phone and take you to "first use" to log in. If you log in to that phone, it will restore from your profile. If you go back to the second phone, it will do the same. Can't be logged in to the same profile on two devices on Palm's server.

If you use the bypass tool, it logs you in locally and doesn't actually talk to the Palm profile server.
    I see. Could you please tell me if this is possible as i just bought my pre2.

I wish to keep my original pre- (from bell) with all the info on (keep my texts and call logs for future references) it and use it as a wifi device while having the pre2 (from rogers, to be unlocked) as my main device with my current profile. If i run the bypass tool from palm on my pre- then activate the pre2 with my profile, will i get what i desire?

If not, is there another way to go about it?
    Does anybody have any insight on this?
  16.    #16  
    Krab I sent a PM

This is what I don't understand, I never used the bypass tool. Why is it that mine decided only to log in locally? I am running a meta-doctored 2.1 on my pre- but that should just be messing with the carrier and model check right?