Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Hey all,
    Just ordered a Pre for sprint off ebay, for my wife. I need to know which patches/homebrew is a must for Pre. I have been using a Pixi that doubles as my laptop for almost a year now, but she is new to the smartphone thing and can't stand her android device. I know I will be installing preware, uberkernel, govnah, internalz, systoolsmgr, but what else is good? Keep in mind she wants something that is easy to use, works well, and isn't too complicated (I've been selling her on webos since I got my pixi =).
    If you're sticking with 1.4.5, then get:
    Advanced Configuration for System Preferences
    Advanced Configuration for App Launcher
    (these 2 patches combine several patches, read the threads and/or wiki for more details)
    LED Torch
    Rotated Battery Icon with Percentage Red White & Teal
    Make sure you find Dr. Battery (just type it in on mainscreen of Preware) and do a calibration of your battery to make sure it is reading properly
    Show Actual Battery Percent
    Multi Mod
    Unthrottle Download Manager

to name a few
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    But why stick with 1.4.5?
    WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals
    Because the Pre doesn't have enough memory (only 256mb) to provide the optimum user experience running 2.1.

Even with an overclock kernel and compcache the Pre will lag as it starts to use virtual memory to try and handle the demands of 2.1.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    In addition to LED torch, you'll want either an advanced device menu, either one from Jason (device menu megamix) or Sconix (advanced system menus-device menu)

I configured a Pre Plus for my wife with similar concerns: the "advanced" menus aren't really for advanced users, they simply help by putting most of things you toggle daily in a single easy-to-reach place.

Then again, I just keep telling my wife to Just Type.
    - "how do I connect to wifie" Uh...type wifi.
    - "how do I turn on bluetooth" typr bluetooth
    etc.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bru3184 View Post
    Hey all,
    Just ordered a Pre for sprint off ebay, for my wife. I need to know which patches/homebrew is a must for Pre. I have been using a Pixi that doubles as my laptop for almost a year now, but she is new to the smartphone thing and can't stand her android device. I know I will be installing preware, uberkernel, govnah, internalz, systoolsmgr, but what else is good? Keep in mind she wants something that is easy to use, works well, and isn't too complicated (I've been selling her on webos since I got my pixi =).
    I would suggest you don't install a bunch of things that she might never use. It is much easier to support. Perhaps all you really need is uberkernel and govnah for a bit more speed.. Maybe 600 is good enough and all you need is govnah. I have found that it is much better to keep my wifes pre mostly stock so its easier to restore when she breaks it

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    Then again, I just keep telling my wife to Just Type.
    - "how do I connect to wifie" Uh...type wifi.
    - "how do I turn on bluetooth" typr bluetooth
    etc.
    Do you know I never knew the 'just type' or 'universal Search' of webOS 1.4.x did this? That is so cool! I mean, I understand how to use the top menus and I use the advanced config patch by Sconix (thank you Sconix!), but what a simple way to get where you need to be for a new and non-techie webOS user...just ask...or type!
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    It's definitely getting clocked, my pixi is running great at 806.4 and I've read good reviews from the pre 1.4 overclock. One of her big issues with her current phone is lag. Without overloading the system with apps and just getting the essentials, at 1.4 there should be almost no lag, I would think. Thanks for all the input! What exactly do you get with the advanced system prefs? And what is the unthrottle download manager exactly? I haven't ventured to much into the homebrew as of yet, but it sounds like I might be running these on my pixi also.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!
    If you're looking to avoid lag, you're almost certainly going to want to put the sprint comms board in the phone you're getting into something with more oomph: either a pre plus or a pre 2. Here are the procedures: Sprint Pre Plus - WebOS Internals

I've had a sprint pre since release day. And the difference in the experience after making my sprint pre plus is pretty stark. The RAM makes a *huge* difference in dealing with lag. I ran my pre- at 1GHz for most of its life. I'm running my pre plus at stock speeds (500MHz). Its the RAM that makes the difference.

I would also caution against getting too far up there in the MHz. Two things:
    1. It's going to kill your battery, which isn't good to start with
    2. It's going to run *HOT*, which will shorten the life of the phone

If you do decide to overclock, you're going to want to install the "Device Temperature Warnings" patch, too.
    Twitter: dullgeek