1.    #1  
    Completely out of the blue, my touchscreen stopped responding. The keyboard still works. No gestures. This is really crippling to the phone. I've tried Orange+Sym+R several times, but the issue is still there. I pulled out the battery for a while, and it's still there...

What can I do? Is this the end of my Pre?

UPDATE:

I remembered that it stopped working when I had taken it off the charger earlier. I plugged it back into the charger and took it out. I then plugged it back into the charger, and the screen worked. However, it only works when plugged into the charger. When I unplug it, it goes dead again. What's weird is that the pearl in the gesture area glows white, as if it's being touched, for about 20 seconds, then the screen stops responding...
    Last edited by Love Divine; 04/20/2011 at 11:38 AM.
    Had this happen to me (part of the screen anyway). Try doctoring to an official version of webos for your device and see if that works. Unfortunately that didn't work for me and I had to get a replacement.
  3.    #3  
    Updated the OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Divine View Post

UPDATE:

I remembered that it stopped working when I had taken it off the charger earlier. I plugged it back into the charger and took it out. I then plugged it back into the charger, and the screen worked. However, it only works when plugged into the charger. When I unplug it, it goes dead again. What's weird is that the pearl in the gesture area glows white, as if it's being touched, for about 20 seconds, then the screen stops responding...
    I know there is a thread floating around with that exact issue. Can't remember where its at, just google it and it should find it.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks. It looks like it's the precursor to a dead phone...

This sucks. I've had this thing since launch, and have been putting up with its subpar performance since then, with the hopes that I can finally get something better this summer. I've babied it this entire time... It's incredibly frustrating that it falls short on me like this. At least I've got an old Blackberry to tie me over till the Pre 3 (if not, EVO 3D).

Is there anyway to back up contacts via USB? Also, is there any way to recover Palm Profile password info if I've forgotten it? I wasn't the one who activated the phone, so I was never told what the login info was. I could probably find it with enough digging, if need be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Divine View Post
    Thanks. It looks like it's the precursor to a dead phone...

This sucks. I've had this thing since launch, and have been putting up with its subpar performance since then, with the hopes that I can finally get something better this summer. I've babied it this entire time... It's incredibly frustrating that it falls short on me like this. At least I've got an old Blackberry to tie me over till the Pre 3 (if not, EVO 3D).

Is there anyway to back up contacts via USB? Also, is there any way to recover Palm Profile password info if I've forgotten it? I wasn't the one who activated the phone, so I was never told what the login info was. I could probably find it with enough digging, if need be.
    Check out this app:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-development/270064-export-all-contacts-application.html
  7.    #7  
    Thanks alot.

Well, the touchscreen officially died. It's been good WebOS, but I have to leave for now... Shame it had to happen like this. Hopefully, I can come back during the summer.

As for what I'm planning on doing - I might try out an Android for 30 days, then swap it out for another one for an extension on my 30 day period. Hopefully by then, the Pre 3 or Evo 3D will be out. Will that work? Sprint still has that 30 day policy, right?
    I think Sprint is still 30 days.

If you're still looking for your palm profile password you can go to www.palm.com/profile and choose "forgot password" but it will probably just send an email to the email address it was registered with and from the sounds of things that wouldn't be yours...
    OP I have a beat up palm pre I would sell ya for 20-25 bucks. Everything works on it. It is missing the usb door and the power button but you can put your power button on it. It is kinda beat up. But like I said everything works on it. let me know if your interested.
    Sprint Palm Pre+ WebOS 2.1 W/ Flash. OC'D 500/1.1ghz.
    i had this with my first pre back in 2009. its definitely a harware issue. i spent a few days carrying a usb plug with me, so it was usable while it was plugged in regardless of connected to power or pc. then this option vanished too. its something behind the screen that goes lose and can be stabilized with plugging in the usb while its not yet too bad.
  11.    #11  
    I'll be going Android for a little while... Is there any other way to back up my contacts? I'll be fine with the Palm Profile for the Pre 3, but I need something to get them off now. I can't use that export app without the touchscreen...
  12.    #12  
    One last question... How does Sprint's 30 day return policy work? I was thinking of getting an Evo or something today, returning before 30 days, then getting something else for another 30 days. By then, something new should be out... Is that feasible?
    I'm not sure but it definitely sound like a good plan
    well, mine bit the dust too. how lame :| Sprint Pre- dead touchscreen, but everything else is going well. Anyone know if there is a way to run save restore without using the touchscreen?