1.    #1  
    Does anyone have any tips that are specifically for "legacy" devices that have doctored to 2.1? I made the leap with my VZW Pre+ on Sunday night and I've found that my old settings lead to a seriously fast-depleting battery. I was sitting at the park yesterday just surfing the web and lost more than 30% of my battery in less than an hour. I was on a weak data signal, but ... still ... that's nuts.

I'm no expert at this, but I think (with my phone at least) that going from Uberkernel 500/1000 to 250/800 will help quite a bit. At 1K my phone was heating up to 40-degrees or more even when I wasn't doing much. I suspect that was part of the reason for my high battery usage. I just made the drop to 800 today, so I haven't had a good chance to observe battery life, but I *have* noticed my temps are down to the low 30s ... which is much more reasonable. I also reduced logging to minimal only.

I just saw a really cool Mode Switcher mode in another thread that sets up a mode that turns on data only when you need it. I'm going to try that out as soon as I can get Mode Switcher 2 to download (damned thing won't download for me).

Any other battery life tips specifically for legacy devices running 2.1? I'm not talking about the basic stuff like turn off your GPS, wifi, etc., or turn down your brightness ... those tips can be found in other threads.
    I've read that disabling voice dial works for some users (In my case I don't have that problem)
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    How old is your battery? I use my Pre+ all day every day. After 6 months with UK, Dr. Battery reported ~60% max charge and after 10 months needed a replacement.
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by determinedd View Post
    How old is your battery? I use my Pre+ all day every day. After 6 months with UK, Dr. Battery reported ~60% max charge and after 10 months needed a replacement.
    I don't think it's the battery. I checked it with Dr. Battery and it's about 95% healthy.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    I've read that disabling voice dial works for some users (In my case I don't have that problem)
    I'd love to do that, but I'm not keen on digging into the OS by handing and pulling it out. I'm hoping some person who is smarter than me will make a patch to disable it
    I'm using UberKernel with the Palm Default Govnah profile.

Also I'm using Mode Switcher 2.0 configured with "Data On Demand". Although in MS2.0, I've got a much simpler configuration. Rather than having triggers based on apps that turn on data, I just turn data off whenever the screen is off, and turn it back on when the screen is on. I also have a trigger that says if Pandora or Tunein Radio are running, then leave data on even if the screen is off.

Using this I get my battery drain per hour (dph) down to about 3-4% based on normal usage. Which translates to about 25-33 hours of battery life.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Turn data off when you're not using it. It helps.
  8.    #8  
    I've had Govnah set at 250/800 for more than a day now and, for me at least, the battery difference is significant. I don't notice the phone getting really hot anymore, and I think my battery life is a touch better than I had with webOS 1.45. I can't really tell a lot of difference between 800mhz and 1ghz either.
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    I don't think it's the battery. I checked it with Dr. Battery and it's about 95% healthy.
    Did you calibrate it? Dr. Bat won't correctly report health unless you run the calibration procedure.

I agree with what others are saying about turning off data. I would include both wifi and 3g. Wifi was a big battery suck for me, i think due to some background services pulling down data.
    I agree. It isn't really wifi that's the battery suck. It's synergy. Turning off both data & wifi goes a long way towards saving battery by controlling synergy.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    I run Mode switcher with a data on demand mode but I also went to wifi preferences to tell wifi to go to sleep when not in use. I get excellent battery life now.
  12.    #12  
    I'm looking forward to getting MS back. Can't seem to install the version on the testing feeds, so I'm waiting until version 2.1 hits the regular feeds.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    I run Mode switcher with a data on demand mode but I also went to wifi preferences to tell wifi to go to sleep when not in use. I get excellent battery life now.
    I have read somewhere to leave your WI-FI on its better for the battery.
    my pre only last one day lol since i use it to view moto gp for 1h on it, need new battery
    I purchased a 2600 off ebay to replace my stock and mugen battery, modded the back cover using sburlaw's touchstone mod, and now I have outstanding battery life. Seriously- Yes the phone is bigger but the keyboard is clickier and easier to type on as well.

I should have done this in Jan 2010 when I first got the phone.