Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First off, for Pre+ users on Verizon the GPS is notorious for being incredibly flaky, and unpredictable. Sometimes if you spin twice left and jump up and down one time it works, repeatably. The next week it doesn't.

On 1.4.5 i had this type of experience. I had even used QPST to enable additional GPS modes to help get a true GPS lock. I'd tried all the various and sundry patches to enable/disable/bewitch aGPS, all with mixed results which were never consistent. The best i was usually able to do was the 'ol VZNav/GPS Fix combo, which worked maybe 2/3 of the time.

Anyway, after upgrading to 2.1 i was curious to know if the GPS would work any better for me. I found that GPS Fix wasn't 2.1 compatible, then the author updated it, but it hasn't worked for me. I checked the QPST settings, and the additional GPS parameters survived the firmware flash.

Then, while using my normal tracking program for some hikes in the woods, and some bike rides, i started finding a pattern that worked. So far this method has worked for me every time (about 10 times, over 2 weeks).

It goes like this:
    - Reboot phone, or if you have not used GPS since the last reboot you can skip this.
    - Turn on GPS
    - Launch MapTool Pro (i don't know if the free version includes the "Tracks" feature or not. If it does this should work)
    - Start walking/hiking/driving (no, you cannot leave it on for 10 minutes while you sit inside and watch TV, you must move).
    - Check the GPS after about 5-10 minutes (walking), and it should be locked!
    - If it isn't locked, keep walking/driving/biking, and check again in a few more minutes.

Obviously this isn't how a GPS should function, but getting this to work consistently is a huge improvement for me over 1.4.5, where it was sporadic.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else can make this same approach work
  2.    #2  
    This worked yet again for me this AM.
    Hmm...I'll try this when I get done work. Only issue I see is whether it works with google services on. I prefer to leave that on because it is the only way I can get foursquare to work if I happen to be inside while trying to check-in.
  4.    #4  
    I have google services turned on.
    Good to hear! Can't wait to try this out.
    I haven't tinkered with it MUCH, but I was able to get a good solid lock (plus or minus five yards) on GolfPinFinder without too much trouble the other day. I have noticed that it doesn't appear the VZ Nav trick makes much difference now. I think that's because aGPS is disabled completely in the version of the doctor that's created by the meta-doctor app.
    GPS Fix on 2.1 seems to work somewhat. After long periods of not using GPS, it does lock up. I have found going to Location Services -> Prefs -> Locate me using.... -> GPS, to turn off the GPS, then repeating to turn it back on, has worked. That GPS power cycle allows GPS Fix to get a location again and apps then work again.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    I haven't tinkered with it MUCH, but I was able to get a good solid lock (plus or minus five yards) on GolfPinFinder without too much trouble the other day. I have noticed that it doesn't appear the VZ Nav trick makes much difference now. I think that's because aGPS is disabled completely in the version of the doctor that's created by the meta-doctor app.
    The VZNav version in 2.1 is different, and has patched the bug that allowed folks to get it to work with aGPS on 1.4.5. It's totally useless in 2.1 unless you subscribe.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Thank goodness HP/Palm finally fixed our GPS problems (guess it wasn't Verizon's issue then?) so everyone who has been wanting a phone that does what's advertised will finally have that!

When are they pushing this out again? Oh yea right, they're not - I need to "hack" it into my phone. Way to follow through HP, and where's that "upgrade path" you mentioned MONTHS ago?
  10.    #10  
    Still working for me, tried this method again this AM.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by sphere79 View Post
    Thank goodness HP/Palm finally fixed our GPS problems (guess it wasn't Verizon's issue then?) so everyone who has been wanting a phone that does what's advertised will finally have that!

When are they pushing this out again? Oh yea right, they're not - I need to "hack" it into my phone. Way to follow through HP, and where's that "upgrade path" you mentioned MONTHS ago?
    Chill with the negativity. I'm anxious to see the upgrade path too, and i think that will happen soon.

Let's keep this thread on topic, please.
  12.    #12  
    Verizon users: anyone else finding this to work for them? I'm surprised there hasn't been more interest in this since i'm finding my standalone GPS to work 100% of the time outdoors...
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    If I had to guess, I'd say that like myself many others with Verizon Pre+'s probably bailed awhile ago. I swapped mine for a Droid 2 a few months ago (the lack of 2.0 was the final nail in a very old coffin) and haven't had to worry about any GPS issues, it works every time AND I get voice navigation for free. I'm still here (despite the board-mandated "positivity") because I use my existing "backup" Pre+ (I sold my nicer one on ebay) and Pre- on WiFi only and still have an ancillary interest in webOS.

I'm glad homebrew has come through yet again but it should have been taken care by HP/Palm and/or Verizon.
  14.    #14  
    One more note on this technique: i've turned off google location services, and it still seems to work.

I'm not one to be paranoid, but i have no interest in helping google improve their location services, or having my locations "anonymously" recorded.
    Using a Verizon Pre+ on 1.4.5 now. I used the QPST hack to put my Pixi's aGPS data into the Pre, and I get GPS locks consistently enough that it no longer bothers me.

In fact, the problem now is how much GPS drains battery whenever I pull up the Maps app. I'm actually thinking of turning it back off and just using Google Services.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by twilightomni View Post
    Using a Verizon Pre+ on 1.4.5 now. I used the QPST hack to put my Pixi's aGPS data into the Pre, and I get GPS locks consistently enough that it no longer bothers me.

In fact, the problem now is how much GPS drains battery whenever I pull up the Maps app. I'm actually thinking of turning it back off and just using Google Services.
    I haven't noticed a big drain from the GPS radio. The 3g radio will do that for sure though, and if you're in a low service area the phone radio will too.
    Could be my phones, but I get consistently around 400+ mAh of drain when using Google Maps. Same on my Pixi.

Would drain the battery dead in about 2 and a half hours. Considering my TomTom 720 only lasts an hour on battery, that makes relative sense to me.
    my 2 Plus phones are still running 1.4.5 I haven't had time to think about upgrading the OS yet..
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    I'll try this today.

My GPS works fine (if slow) in Michigan and Indiana, but not Illinois. Or at least not in Chicago. If this works, I'll be happy—but still really confused.
    Ahh, unfortunately, I didn't have any luck.

Turned off GPS, rebooted, turned on GPS, launched MapTools (free, but with tracking), walked to the bus (about 5 blocks), rode the bus (about 7 miles), walked to class (another few blocks), and nothing the entire way.

Seriously, I think Chicago's cursed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast