Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 28 of 28
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by walrashish View Post
    Ahh, unfortunately, I didn't have any luck.

    Turned off GPS, rebooted, turned on GPS, launched MapTools (free, but with tracking), walked to the bus (about 5 blocks), rode the bus (about 7 miles), walked to class (another few blocks), and nothing the entire way.

    Seriously, I think Chicago's cursed.
    Just out of curiosity, have you activated the other GPS modes with QPST? I'm wondering if that could be the reason it isn't working for you.
  2. #22  
    Yeah, I've enabled all of them. I turned off the Cached info to see if that made a difference (maybe the satellites are cached correctly in MI/IN, but the sky is different over IL), but it hasn't seemed to yet. I've also tried both VZW GPS servers.

    HOWEVER, I had a minor, albeit unrepeatable success. My location services work on WiFi only, but I had it on, and turned on MapTools w/tracking. It sat on my bed for ~20 min while I got ready in the morning, and got a rough WiFi-based lock. I threw it in my pocket (with WiFi and GPS still on) and biked to campus, got on the shuttle, and realized it'd tracked me the whole way! Hooray! Unfortunately, as soon as I turned off WiFi, the GPS killed itself too.

    I've tried repeating this, but can't seem to get it to work again. So the search continues. I'll keep testing different things to see if I can nail down a repeatable solution.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by walrashish View Post
    Yeah, I've enabled all of them. I turned off the Cached info to see if that made a difference (maybe the satellites are cached correctly in MI/IN, but the sky is different over IL), but it hasn't seemed to yet. I've also tried both VZW GPS servers.

    HOWEVER, I had a minor, albeit unrepeatable success. My location services work on WiFi only, but I had it on, and turned on MapTools w/tracking. It sat on my bed for ~20 min while I got ready in the morning, and got a rough WiFi-based lock. I threw it in my pocket (with WiFi and GPS still on) and biked to campus, got on the shuttle, and realized it'd tracked me the whole way! Hooray! Unfortunately, as soon as I turned off WiFi, the GPS killed itself too.

    I've tried repeating this, but can't seem to get it to work again. So the search continues. I'll keep testing different things to see if I can nail down a repeatable solution.
    Hmm... Just out of curiosity have you tried getting a gps lock without 3G or wifi? i never use these for getting a lock...
  4.    #24  
    I noticed something when using my GPS away from where i usually do the other day. i believe that one of the QPST enabled modes uses your last known location to try and determine your current location. This works fine if you are using the GPS in the same area every time.

    So using it in a different area i had to turn on my 3G connection, which then got the GPS within about 3 miles. Turning off the 3G connection again the GPS was able to get a lock within a few minutes.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    So using it in a different area i had to turn on my 3G connection, which then got the GPS within about 3 miles. Turning off the 3G connection again the GPS was able to get a lock within a few minutes.
    Glad you noticed this behavior too. When you've gotten a fix was Google Services always off?
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by determinedd View Post
    Glad you noticed this behavior too. When you've gotten a fix was Google Services always off?
    I had google services on for a while, but turned it off after the kerfuffle over apple location tracking. It works either way for me.
  7. #27  
    I just found out that GPS works perfectly over WiFi. I just got my router up and running again and (I dont know what compelled me to do this) I opened Google maps. It took about 5 seconds and opened up with a perfect lock on my position. I think this is due to the GPS getting its location from the router. I turned WiFi off and it was back to not finding me. Its good to know if I want to get directions from my house but when I'm out of WiFi coverage I'm still SOL.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    I just found out that GPS works perfectly over WiFi. I just got my router up and running again and (I dont know what compelled me to do this) I opened Google maps. It took about 5 seconds and opened up with a perfect lock on my position. I think this is due to the GPS getting its location from the router. I turned WiFi off and it was back to not finding me. Its good to know if I want to get directions from my house but when I'm out of WiFi coverage I'm still SOL.
    Yep, i believe that is the "location services" option which Google provides. Basically they know where your router IP is located, and can put you there. A wifi connection can't be used to tell where you are with any kind of pinpoint accuracy though, since it isn't true GPS.

    What it can get you though, is your GPS knowing where you are in the world, which then helps the true GPS to get a lock.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions