1.    #1  
    So I took the plunge over the weekend and created a FrankenPre+ to use on Sprint. Got everything put together, the phone works fine on Sprint network, very happy with it.. EXCEPT, the thing is constantly stuck in headset mode.

I've read the prior threads on this problem and followed all the suggestions (cleaning out the headset jack with rubbing alcohol, blowing compressed air in it, rapidly plugging and unplugging headphones, unplugging the headphones after closing out Pandora, etc...) and nothing is fixing the problem. The last resort everyone said in those threads is to exchange the phone via warranty. Well, considering this is a FrankenPre, I'm pretty sure that's not an option at this point.

Any advice on what I can do at this point? I'd hate to think I'm out the $200 it cost me to build this device that has a flaw that more or less makes the phone unusable.
    Last edited by slick5150; 04/19/2011 at 10:17 AM.
    use electronic cleaner on a Q-tip...i work in a dusty job and was using rubbing acohol three times a week..the cleaner cleared that right up..
    have you run the interactive tests, pulled the battery, etc? Is the telephone jack from the Pre or pre+? Are they interchangeable? I'm sure someone like pastorri@h1 can help you come up with alternatives...
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    I had a similar issue and feeling when I first did my FrankenPre+... Turns out, I had closed up the battery pull tab behind the back plate. The batter pull tab is just the right length to get up in the headphone connection area and block some contacts, which makes the headphone jack stay in a headphone state.

So, pull off the back cover and see if your battery pull tab is visible. If it isn't, I bet you got it stuck under the back plate. If that's not it, I'm no help, sorry!
    Download and install The Ghastly Headset as an interim solution - I'm not sure if it works on 2.x but you should give it a try.

When this happens to me - the only fix so far that is reliable is to put the headphones or headset in and out and in and out a bunch of times in a row and check by dialing. Eventually I get it right and then I leave it alone.
    all you need is a $3 tube of graphite powder. I was having the same issue and none of the fixes worked on my pre anymore. Just squeeze a couple puffs of graphite powder in the headset jack, grab a pair of headphones and move them in and out of the jack several times (its easy to tell when it is released from headset mode if you put your phone on a connected call when doing this so you can watch the headset icon in the lower left corner). I did this a couple weeks ago and have not had any headset issues since then. For people like you and me, its a hardware issue. The bit inside the jack is getting stuck and making the connection, telling the phone it is in headset mode. The graphite powder simply lubes it (safely) and allows the part to move freely as it once did. Hope this helps.

edit: you can find graphite powder at any hardware store or anywhere that makes keys.
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    all you need is a $3 tube of graphite powder. I was having the same issue and none of the fixes worked on my pre anymore. Just squeeze a couple puffs of graphite powder in the headset jack, grab a pair of headphones and move them in and out of the jack several times (its easy to tell when it is released from headset mode if you put your phone on a connected call when doing this so you can watch the headset icon in the lower left corner). I did this a couple weeks ago and have not had any headset issues since then. For people like you and me, its a hardware issue. The bit inside the jack is getting stuck and making the connection, telling the phone it is in headset mode. The graphite powder simply lubes it (safely) and allows the part to move freely as it once did. Hope this helps.

edit: you can find graphite powder at any hardware store or anywhere that makes keys.
    Just be careful with this method as the long term effects are not known. Graphite powder does not conduct electricity reliably (in theory) but there are known issues with corrosion of dissimilar metals when graphite is used a lubricant between them and there are also concerns about corrosion on aluminum parts.
    I use the music player when I use to clean the jack...if you hear the music in your speaker than the jack is cleared
    maybe try electrical cleaner won't hurt anything in the pre . Spray the headphone jack and plug and unplug a few times .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Then follow with a light spray of WD40 on the Qtip or plug and insert and remove a few times. Been using this procedure with success on my original Pre now since the fall of 09.
  11.    #11  
    Ok, well after trying all the solutions mentioned in this thread, I'm now unstuck from headset mode. I wound up disassembling the phone and making sure I had everything back in place just right, reassembled it, and voila. That fixed that. So, thanks for the suggestions!

BUT, odd new problem. Sounds, such as the system alert or the swooshing a card of the screen, are not played. I can make phonecalls, use the speakerphone, listen to Pandora, and that all works fine over the speaker, but I get no alert sounds. This is w/ Webos 2.1.

Any thoughts on this one?
    post a screen shot of the card showing system sound volume?
    If you had already tried all suggestions for the headphone jack bug, I would've definitely suggested taking it apart and putting it back together. In this second problem's case, check system volume, if its up then try redoctoring. If that doesn't help, you have to take it apart and make sure the acoustic padding in the back of your phone is lined up properly. If not, it could be sitting on a pad on the circuit board inhibiting conduction. If you can't really seem to fix it, just peel it off. Not having it is better than having it mess with connections.

Good luck!
  14.    #14  
    I just finished redoctoring w/ the 2.1 meta-doctor and that seems to have fixed whatever was causing the no-sound bug there.

So, I seem to now have a fully functioning Sprint Pre+ w/ 2.1 on it!

Thanks for the help guys (and certainly a HUGE thanks to the WebOS Internals team for the guides in the first place. Donation on its way).
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slick5150 View Post
    I just finished redoctoring w/ the 2.1 meta-doctor and that seems to have fixed whatever was causing the no-sound bug there.

So, I seem to now have a fully functioning Sprint Pre+ w/ 2.1 on it!

Thanks for the help guys (and certainly a HUGE thanks to the WebOS Internals team for the guides in the first place. Donation on its way).
    I'm glad you got it fixed, now don't EVER put anything in that headset jack again! EVER! Use bluetooth only form now on. I have gotten my Pre so stuck in headset mode that I have had to have Sprint clear it for me. You don't have that option. I used to have a stuck in headset once a week, now I haven't had a single one in the eight months since I switched exclusively to bluetooth.
  16.    #16  
    Ha, well, I spoke too soon about EVERYthing working apparently. The vibrate function is not working. I'm guessing I may have goofed that up somehow during the Frankenpreing process? Is there somewhere inside the phone I should look for that?
    I have been having that exact same problem I think it has something to do with what position the two vibrate switches of the handsets were in when you switched them. Try and take it back apart and move the switch the opposite way and put it back together. Hope it helps.
    Palm Phones
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700 wx -> Treo 750p -> PRE