Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    I've got an old Pre Minus running a stable OS and generally
    my battery life has been great. A few tweaks here and there to
    avoid the big power suckers (like yahoo contacts), have email polling every
    30 minutes, a little light browsing, and I regularly managed 50-60 hours
    on standby with data on, wifi on.. etc, on stock battery. In other words, it's
    been great. No OS or app updates, or new apps installed in months.

I went on vacation for a week in a location right on the edge of
    coverage, and the phone was really unhappy. If it had a Sprint signal
    it would suck the battery down so fast it got hot just sitting.
    I'd force it to roam and it was better, but still only 1 bar and
    short battery life. Had to reboot a few times to get it
    out of a funk. Put it in airplane mode a lot just to keep it from dying
    before lunchtime after coming hot off the charger at 6-7am.

Got home from the trip, and for the last week or so, my battery
    life has really sucked. 10-15% drain per hour rather than my usual 2-3%.
    Cold reboot, re-check all my settings.. nothings changed, but
    the battery life is dreadful. It's not erratic like I see for those who
    with bad batteries, it's just high drain, and Battery Monitor app reports
    high instantaneous current draw every time I check it (making
    sure it's sleeping when it polls).

I've ordered a couple new batteries, but I'm not convinced it's going to help.

I'm curious if anyone else has seen the same behavior. And yes, I know
    for some people 10%/hr is *normal* drain. That's never been normal for me.

ian
    Try a PRL update. It may be that where you are something has changed in signal strength causing your phone to try and acquire signal more frequently. Last PRL was released late last March 23. Don't know if the timing works out right for your vacation.

If that doesn't work, run Dr. Battery to see what your usable battery life actually is. It may be that when your battery life was sucked dry on vacation, the battery adjusted it's useful life incorrectly.

If, after that, you find you have a battery with less than about 85% condition, a new battery will likely save you.

All of that said, I have never had a battery in my pre that got 50-60 hrs with the settings you mention. The only way I can get even 24 hours of time is to use mode switcher configured for data on demand. So, I wonder if you just got incredibly luck with the battery you had. If so, then there's not likely to be anything to restore that level of battery performance. Would love to know some more specifics of what "tweaks" you used to get that kind of performance. You mentioned a couple, but there must be more.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 04/17/2011 at 09:49 PM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Thanks for the response. I noticed talk of the PRL update elsewhere
    and did that update today. I think part of the key to my great battery life
    is that I work from home, and the phone is on strong Wifi most of the day and night
    which is more efficient than 3G radio. Although even off it, I've always generally
    always gotten better battery life than most.

I did see something else quirky today that *might* be related. I saw a notification
    for a new email come in, that I swear was a week or two old. As I was dismissing
    it I thought "wait, that's not new is it?".. and then promptly forgot exactly what it was,
    but it definitely wasn't at the top of the list in my Inbox, which had only email
    I had already read for days back. I'm thinking possibly that while on vacation when
    the data was so bad, one of my email profiles got horked, and every time it went to
    check that account it struggled and struggled and ultimately failed, but used up a lot
    of juice in the trying. I think they're all working now, so maybe I'll see the battery
    usage go back to normal. Unfortunately it's coincident with the PRL update, so
    would never know which one fixed it, assuming it's fixed.

ian
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Thanks for the response. I noticed talk of the PRL update elsewhere
    and did that update today. I think part of the key to my great battery life
    is that I work from home, and the phone is on strong Wifi most of the day and night
    which is more efficient than 3G radio. Although even off it, I've always generally
    always gotten better battery life than most.

I did see something else quirky today that *might* be related. I saw a notification
    for a new email come in, that I swear was a week or two old. As I was dismissing
    it I thought "wait, that's not new is it?".. and then promptly forgot exactly what it was,
    but it definitely wasn't at the top of the list in my Inbox, which had only email
    I had already read for days back. I'm thinking possibly that while on vacation when
    the data was so bad, one of my email profiles got horked, and every time it went to
    check that account it struggled and struggled and ultimately failed, but used up a lot
    of juice in the trying. I think they're all working now, so maybe I'll see the battery
    usage go back to normal. Unfortunately it's coincident with the PRL update, so
    would never know which one fixed it, assuming it's fixed.

ian
    Couple of questions:

-Does the phone get blazing hot during this intense battery drain?
    -What method did you use to "force" roaming? (Have you removed this method?)
    -Have you downloaded Dr. Battery yet and tried recalibration?

As stated if your battery life is down in the 80's and recalibration does not "fix" the reporting capacity, your battery is likely toast. Also pull the batter and sniff it. If you get a strong metallic "taste" in your mouth, and\or if the batter seems "swollen" some, then the weak signal combined with high discharge temps fried your battery.

Similar situation to yours, everything fine, went on vacation, came back, phone was shutting down after a couple hours. Recharge, same thing. I checked everything above and found my battery was toast. Replaced and it's like a new phone, gives me 14-15 hours heavy usage with 6 email accounts, 5 calendars, and a few 1000 contacts syncing.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    It did get quite hot once while on this vacation when I made a call, and it was
    trying to use Sprint, instead of roaming (usually on Verizon's network).
    In fact, it got so hot it was confusing the IR sensor near the earpiece, and the
    screen would flicker on and off by itself while I was on a call.
    It hasn't gotten hot since I got home, but the drain %/hr is just 5x normal.

Force roaming is a device menu patch I've used for years. I'm often in the mountains
    and Sprint coverage up there sucks, but it'll still keep trying *really hard* to
    talk to the Sprint tower 10 miles away, while I can force it to roam and it'll
    find a Verizon signal at a nearby ski resort.

I haven't messed with Dr. Battery yet as it's been less than a day.

ian
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Well either the PRL update, or the email glitch that seems to
    have cleared itself yesterday has cured the battery drain problem.
    It's back to normal. It's been off the charger on standby for 8 hours, received and read a
    half dozen emails, few minutes of browsing and it has dropped only 13%.

ian
    Last edited by Daemon; 04/18/2011 at 11:58 AM.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    31 hours off the charger, battery down to only 52%. All normal now.
    If this happens again, I'll try to remember to check all my email
    accounts and see if any are stuck, because I have the feeling that was it.

ian
    What type of email account setup are you using? Gmail, Exchange servers?

Just curious about your normally great battery life.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    One Gmail profile, one Earthlink profile, both setup as standard 30 minute polling
    interval. Yahoo Profile manual only. Many people believe that update
    "As Email Arrives" uses less battery. It does *not*. It can not. There's no such
    thing as true push email unless the data radio is effectively on all the time.

I found that leaving Messenger up even when not sending messages, seems to
    use more power, so I close it right away when done with a conversation.
    Yahoo Contacts, dreadful. Don't know why, but I had to rip it out, kicking and
    screaming (comes in with Yahoo Email or Yahoo Messenger whether you want it or not).

BTW, I'm now 41 hours off the charger, and battery is down to 35%.

ian
    Hi Daemon,

What did you do to fix the potentially messed up e-mail profile you had? I think my wife's Pre is experiencing the same problems and this forum has been helpful. We went on vacation and when we got back her phone battery dies in just 1-2 hours vs. the usual 5-6 hours. I got Dr.Battery installed on her Pre and I did order her a replacement battery based on the diagnosis (less than 50% life left). We noticed a lot of problems with the Yahoo e-mail app trying to synch so while I'm waiting for the battery, I was wondering what I should do to help fix her Yahoo mail account or any other account that may be hosed.

Thanks!