Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This seems to be a unique problem. My Pre bricked on me recently after installing a patch (it got stuck at splash screen after luna restart) but i didnt worry and used webosDoctor to restart it. It was working fine as i got up to the Palm Login screen, got logged in but after it restarted (after choosing profiles like facebook to be synced) i got a network message onscreen (your balance is 0.00) and all the usual notifications (apps failed to download, facebook syncing, etc.) but when i closed the network message it restarted and was stuck at splash screen again!

I repeated this twice already and tried making a new profile. One strange thing was i accidentally held down the volume key and voice dialing came up working recognised contacts etc.

I fear the patch has affected something in the internal files which has messed me up big time. Although i am honestly a great novice at this. I was using the 2.1.0 version on an o2 Pre Plus. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if there has been a case of this already i couldn't find anything similar.

Also, again im very novice at this so any advice if you could keep it straightforward it would be great, but any help is strongly appreciated!!!
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    If I'm reading correctly you're reporting that the underlying webOS is apparently working. If that's the case you might want to use webOS Quick Install to apply emergency patch repair. Following that you should be able to use preWare to re-apply the patches from the saved patch list (one by one taking care to not install the one that messed you up). Good luck.
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
  3.    #3  
    I'l try that but i can't get past the point where i get the network message so im very sceptical, thankyou though i will definitely give that a go.

EDIT: just been searching about and do u think the WebOS Repair Utility would be of use? Im not worried about keeping patches or anything else, just desperate to have my Precious Pre back up and running!!
    Last edited by clarkey586; 04/17/2011 at 09:49 AM.
  4.    #4  
    Tried getting onto webOS Quick Install but no luck on that. I have to keep it in recovery mode to connect to USB so im pretty stuck with that one. I may not be doing this right though! Thanks anyway any more help is really appreciated
    It's really hard to brick a pre. I'm sure there are lots of things that you might try first, but if you get to the end of your rope and want to recover, try this: How To Recover - WebOS Internals
    Twitter: dullgeek
    if you run the doctor, it goes back to factory fresh so it isn't bricked, and there isn't any 'underlying' thing to damage.
    Have you tried downloading a fresh copy of the official 1.4.5 doctor? It sounds strange to me that there would be anything left over from that patch if you had doctored it... you might have gotten a bad download. Also... you can contact palm support to find out if your profile is corrupted or if there are any problems with it.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    So sorry to hear that webOS QI did not get you going. However indeed it is very hard to brick a Pre. Speaking from personal experience. I recently unbricked a Pre 2 that became bricked due to accidental interruption of a webOS doctor doing a 2.0.0 to 2.1.0 upgrade.

How does one accidentally interrupt a doctoring you ask? My child decided that it was his turn to use the computer so he just clicked cancel.

Seriously though, I was left with a device that didn't even take "lvm.static" commands which in recovery mode. A venerable brick situation if ever I'd seen one. Do not despair, you will recover the device. The data on it only as much as you have backed up in either the Palm Profile, the Save/Restore and backups of the USB partition. Good luck!
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
  9.    #9  
    I'm pretty sure the Doctor is fine as i've used it before, but i will try with another version anyway.
    My profile is also most likely to be fine as I made a new one to test and it came up with the same problems

Thanks for the support too i'm quietly confident it can be fixed it's more the case of how! Im still adamant it is something to do with the patch but then again, what would i know! Thanks again il update after i've re-docto.... OH!!! ...false alarm.. just had the Pre plugged into my USB and i got a glimpse of the home screen there... only the USB menu was showing... then back to the splash screen. I get the usb menu when i plug in, but whatever choice i make im getting the splash again... Awfully confused but i'l try re-doctoring anyway. Thanks!

EDIT: After tinkering around i managed to get the App Menu to appear but otherwise very little activity.
    If you see a boot logo, it is not bricked.

Go into recovery mode and doctor it.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  11.    #11  
    re-doctored again and no progress same thing's happening - working when plugged into usb although i can access some applications (got devmode on and into Quick install only to find Patch Recovery did not work). So i think it is something underlying. Would it be possible to reset all internal files and other things that may be causing the problem?

I notice that it seems to be when the quicklaunch bar is needed or shown (although it never gets to show it) that the device loops back into the splash screen. Just thought that might be relevant.

Thanks for the assurance it isn't bricked, really nice to know!

And again thanks for the help i'd be nowhere without this!!
    Last edited by clarkey586; 04/18/2011 at 11:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkey586 View Post
    re-doctored again and no progress same thing's happening - working when plugged into usb although i can access some applications (got devmode on and into Quick install only to find Patch Recovery did not work).
    What version of the Doctor, where was this obtained, did you check the MD5 hash?

Quote Originally Posted by clarkey586 View Post
    So i think it is something underlying. Would it be possible to reset all internal files and other things that may be causing the problem?
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK - $The$ $doctor$ $process$ $completely$ $wipes$ $out$ $the$ $Pre$ $when$ $going$ $from$ $2$.$x$ $to$ $1$.$4$.$5$ $since$ $the$ $USB$ $partition$ $is$ $not$ $formatted$ $the$ $same$. $At$ $a$ $minimum$ $all$ $important$ $OS$ $files$ $are$ $wiped$ $and$ $rewritten$ $so$ $I$ $can$'$t$ $understand$ $what$'$s$ $happening$ $to$ $you$.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK - $The$ $doctor$ $process$ $completely$ $wipes$ $out$ $the$ $Pre$ $when$ $going$ $from$ $2$.$x$ $to$ $1$.$4$.$5$ $since$ $the$ $USB$ $partition$ $is$ $not$ $formatted$ $the$ $same$. $At$ $a$ $minimum$ $all$ $important$ $OS$ $files$ $are$ $wiped$ $and$ $rewritten$ $so$ $I$ $can$'$t$ $understand$ $what$'$s$ $happening$ $to$ $you$.
    Oh i used a 2.x Doctor. Il give it a go with a 1.4.5 and report back thanks for that!
    Use an official 1.4.5 doctor.

-- Rod
  15.    #15  
    SUCCESS!!! That solved it thanks for all the help and sorry for wasting your time on something which now seems so obvious!

Your help is really appreciated! Thankyou sincerely!
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Clarkey, what version were you at before this all happened. In my experience I had to backtrack from 2.1 to 2.0 (since I was on a Pre2) to get it recuperated. I'm wondering if the delta in versions forces the logic of the Dr to actually laydown everything anew instead of just spot-checking and assuming that that is on the phone is still valid.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Hi, I have a PRE+ that doesnt accept those commands, I tried all the solutions on the forum, how do you recovered that device.
    Some says my storage is phisically damaged.
    I can tell that the device is new and it worked for about 24hs before diying.
    If I turned it on it gets stuck on the Palm Logo.
    Tried even Webos2.1 doctor with no luck
    Quote Originally Posted by maxi_gmv View Post
    Hi, I have a PRE+ that doesnt accept those commands, I tried all the solutions on the forum
    I would suggest skipping forums and going to How To Recover - WebOS Internals which has never failed to restore a device to health when followed precisely.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Hi Rod, thanks for your answer, but been there. The section
    "Doctor disconnects at 8%" applies to me and when I tried the
    "mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media" command the phone reboots itself
    with no changes.
    did you start in recovery mode? And are you using win32 or win64?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast