1.    #1  
    Hi
    I own an Android device (Htc Desire) and was completely satisfied with it but not anymore because of its very small internal memory which makes me delete my fav apps.
    I want to switch to WebOS now. I always loved it but didn't go for it earlier because it wasn't available on my network. Now, since I've finally decided to buy a Palm device, I've found a brand new Palm Pre but before buying it I need help from you guys to clear some points.

First, I know It's a first generation WebOS device. So, is it still worth to go for?

Shall I be able to upgrade it to WebOS 2.0? Will it work efficiently after upgrading?

I often hear and read about Homebrew community and how the patches help running the devices more efficiently. So, how can that help me with making Palm Pre more efficient?

Will updates for applications be still available on this?

Thanks
    Just to be sure, are you running a palm pre or a palm pre plus? and where are you located. These factors play heavily into the ease in which you can get WebOS2.0 onto your device.
    The Pre still works great. Just transfer your contacts and calendar to Google and then you can use them on your Pre.

I'm using webOS 2.1 on my Sprint Pre and it is not bad with overclocking. I would recommend just staying with 1.4.5.

WebOS is great if you like to overclock and apply patches. It is not even hard to write your own apps.

As far as app updates, I am hoping for lots of new apps, but many will probably require the newer versions of WebOS.
    Who is your carrier?

Unless you HAVE to get a webOS device right now, I'd say wait.
    From my experience, the original Pre runs best on 1.4.5 with one of the stable overclocking kernels on it. I gave the unofficial 2.1.0 a 3 week ride on my original Pre and it's just not powerful enough with only 256mb RAM to run efficiently on that version of webOS. The constant lag caused by the device using virtual memory, compcache, was more than I could handle and went back to 1.4.5.

Also, as webOS matures, and different avenues for building apps emerges, some apps will require at a minimum webOS 2.0. And if you end up not being happy with 2.1 on the Original Pre then you'll be stuck not being able to use certain apps.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    I have to echo the sentiment. The original Pre is a good device, with its short comings just like every other device out there. However it is an older device which has already been end-of-life'd by the manufacturer. That means no more features and very few updates.
    The Pre Plus does fix a few of the shortcomings of the Pre (namely the added RAM) which make for a entirely different usability experience for the user on a day-to-day basis.
    The point about webOS 2 vs webOS 1 in terms of features of the underlying OS is not a light one.
    In short if you can wait, you would be well served in doing so. Consider that Palm was acquired by HP and this disrupted the steady release of new/updated hardware and software to the user community. The disruption is finally coming to an end and new things will start to come out again. Ask yourself, is it worth it to jump in at this time when we're all looking to move onto the new stuff? However on the other hand, all of us are probably going to unload our 1+ yr-old devices into the used market so prices will drop surely.
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I have to agree with most printed here already with a twist. If you can find a 1st gen Pre in good shape at a low cost, and you should be able to right now (in US you can), nothing wrong with getting started with webOS now and get use to Preware, overclocking, etc., (stay with 1.4.5) then upgrade when you can.

Going this route, check with your carrier, see if you can purchase a 3rd party Pre and get on their network without a contract, then, when an upgraded webOS phone is available WITH contract, can you commit and take advantage of contract pricing on the new webOS phone.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    You should wait until new devices or purchase a Pre 2 if possible. The hardware of the 1st gen Pre will make you regret buying it. It is possible to flash webOS 2.1 on a Pre, but the long update process is not worth it for some due to inevitable lag from the 256MB RAM.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    Just to be sure, are you running a palm pre or a palm pre plus? and where are you located. These factors play heavily into the ease in which you can get WebOS2.0 onto your device.
    It will be Palm pre and I live in London.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro1 View Post
    I have to echo the sentiment. The original Pre is a good device, with its short comings just like every other device out there. However it is an older device which has already been end-of-life'd by the manufacturer. That means no more features and very few updates.
    The Pre Plus does fix a few of the shortcomings of the Pre (namely the added RAM) which make for a entirely different usability experience for the user on a day-to-day basis.
    The point about webOS 2 vs webOS 1 in terms of features of the underlying OS is not a light one.
    In short if you can wait, you would be well served in doing so. Consider that Palm was acquired by HP and this disrupted the steady release of new/updated hardware and software to the user community. The disruption is finally coming to an end and new things will start to come out again. Ask yourself, is it worth it to jump in at this time when we're all looking to move onto the new stuff? However on the other hand, all of us are probably going to unload our 1+ yr-old devices into the used market so prices will drop surely.
    Actually I won't be able to buy a new WebOS device until the end if this year - may be I can buy Veer but not Pre3, it will be very expensive. And lack of internal memory in my Android phone is causing a lot of trouble. So, I thought to get rid of it now and first device which came to my mind was Pre because I liked it since it was released. My main usage is Twitter, Facebook, email. So, what do you say? Should I stick with my Android phone and buy veer or touchpad later?
    Quote Originally Posted by fahadchaudhry View Post
    Actually I won't be able to buy a new WebOS device until the end if this year - may be I can buy Veer but not Pre3, it will be very expensive. And lack of internal memory in my Android phone is causing a lot of trouble. So, I thought to get rid of it now and first device which came to my mind was Pre because I liked it since it was released. My main usage is Twitter, Facebook, email. So, what do you say? Should I stick with my Android phone and buy veer or touchpad later?
    I say stick with your Desire. Save money until the end of the year. Then buy a Pre 3 or maybe the slab phone HP plans to come out with. Coming from a desire, I think you might be disappointed with a Veer.

Also have you looked into getting a Desire S, Incredible S, or a Nexus S?
    I wouldn't say that the Pre3 will necessarily be so expensive, especially not if you wait until the end of this year. By then, the Pre3 will have been out for about half a year and the price will likely have dropped.

If it is indeed too expensive for you, you may want to look into a Pre2 (unlocked from HP) - I'd strongly recommend that you do NOT get a Pre/Pre Plus because it's safe to say neither will get webOS 3.0... the Pre2 *may* get it and the Pre3 and Veer *will* get it.

Buying a Pre / Pre Plus now or in the future is like buying an iPhone 3G. You'd be left out of pretty much all the fun new stuff about to come.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    I say stick with your Desire. Save money until the end of the Yeah. Then buy a Pre 3 or maybe the slab phone HP plans to come out with. Coming from a desire, I think you might be disappointed with a Veer.

Also have you looked into getting a Desire S, Incredible S, or a Nexus S?
    No, I've not considered Desire S, Incredible or Nexus. I think Nexus have got 16gb internal storage but I don't like stock android. Htc offers best UI in Android phones, so that's why I picked Desire.

Yeah, Veer has got a very small screen. It will be out of option.

What are major differences b/w 1.4.5 and 2.0/2.1?
    Quote Originally Posted by fahadchaudhry View Post
    No, I've not considered Desire S, Incredible or Nexus. I think Nexus have got 16gb internal storage but I don't like stock android. Htc offers best UI in Android phones, so that's why I picked Desire.

Yeah, Veer has got a very small screen. It will be out of option.

What are major differences b/w 1.4.5 and 2.0/2.1?
    Look at the Incredible S and Desire S as options. I can't tell you the difference between 2.1 and 1.4.5 as I don't own a webos phone anymore (got rid of it for Android). But I'm sure someone here can.
    If you don't want to renew the contract get an LG optimus s on craigslist or ebay for $90-$120

Great little phone to hold you over.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    About a month ago I was completely fed up with my original pre, which was starting to fall apart and performed really poorly with it's tiny 256MB of RAM. After the power switch on my Pre failed, I bit the dust and picked up a Pre Plus off ebay for $75. I then performed some surgery to make it work on Sprint. Then just this week, I migrated it to webOS 2.1.

Seriously, I haven't enjoyed my phone this much since I first got it on June 6, 2009. webOS needs 512MB of RAM, and 2.1 is a vast improvement over 1.x. I went and played with a Pre2... probably better described as "drooled over a Pre 2". Faster & much better build quality than my Franken Pre Plus. Dieter mentioned that the Pre3's makes the Pre2 look like a pixi-. This is very difficult to imagine.

Suffice it to say that the early adopter phase of webOS is (finally) over. You picked a good time to get in. The only advice I would give you is this: get nothing earlier than a pre plus. Trust me.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Fellow Londoner checking in who also migrated from a Desire to WebOS and has since bought every Pre device released so far (i.e. Pre, Pre+ and Pre2!)

First of all, before you jump in, do be advised that your Desire can be fixed with one of the dozens of custom ROMs out there that implement Apps2SD. But I digress.

With that in mind, you might want to consider Expansys, who are offering reconditioned Pre- devices for (I think) 160 quid with a full year's guarantee.

I've run every WebOS device I've had on 2.1 and even the Pre- ran it reasonably well. The Plus wasn't noticeably worse than the Pre2 I now have, once overclocked. I just wanted a device I could trust a bit more than the plasticky original Pre design. Coming from the Desire the original Pre feels like a cheap Taiwanese clone phone. I was lucky to find a brand new Pre2 on ebay for 290 quid.

If you're not bothered about build quality and expect to go Pre3 or Veer when they come out (probably some time next decade for the UK market) then I'd say get a Pre+ off ebay. They are relatively rare in the UK though, and note they usually come SIM locked to O2 (although they are easily unlocked for less than a tenner). If, like me, you want a new device that isn't going to fall apart in your hands and have the cash, and you're not bothered about upcoming devices, go Pre2. If you want a "new" device and are willing to take a risk on performance - or stay on the older version of WebOS - grab one of Expansys's reconditioned Pre- devices.

On that latter point, I should mention that my own experience of WebOS 2.1 on a minus was pretty good. It lagged when you basically abused it, but in normal use it was fine.
  17.    #17  
    Thanks everyone for your helpful opinions.

After going through all of those, I've finally decided to wait for Pre3 or the full-touchscreen WebOS device w/o physical keyboard. WebOS 3.0 is also on the way, so it's better to get a latest device with latest OS and it will last longer.

Thanks again.
    hi all ... i'm late to the party and still gonna jump in anyway

i'm currently in the states on sprint using a dinosaur but trusty companion treo 755p - that is quickly dying.

i now have a couple of really nice-condition pre- units, and i've read most (not all yet) of the upgrade/overclocking/doctoring threads and wikis.

my main question is: do i need to activate one of the pre- phones first on my account? or can i doctor/overclock an unactivated phone? (thus, have use of my current phone while doctoring) also, if all goes well, how many minutes/hours does the process take?

(i know i'm taking a leap of faith ... if hp/palm decides NOT to go sprint with the pre3, i will be severely disappointed!)

thanks!