1.    #1  
    Any one out there took the plunge? Can you chime in with any advice or a brief overview of what you did. Did you run into any problems? Do you have any suggestions for a smoother update? Did Save/Restore work for you? Did it or your Palm Profile restore your contacts? Did you remove all patches before writing a saved package list in Preware? Any issues with purchasing or installing apps? I have read the wiki. My phone is backed up and I have completed the prerequisites. Would like to hear about experiences of people with a setup like mine? Anything you can think of that I did not ask?
    I did it night before last. I followed these instructions: WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals. I used the meta-sprint-pre-2.1.0 script. Contra to Step 2, I did *NOT* delete data from my palm profile.

Instead, I decided to test 2.1 using an entirely new profile. I tested 2.1 using this new profile until I was confident that I wasn't going to doctor back to 1.4.5. Late last night, I re-doctored and started using my normal profile. I had no problems converting my 1.4.5 profile to 2.1. All my apps downloaded, all my memos are now available in 2.1. So far, I haven't discovered any problem with that conversion. I haven't tried purchasing any apps since switching to my normal profile.

Haven't gotten around to Save/Restore yet. However, it's worked well in the past when I've redoctored to 1.4.5. I expect most of the game states will be restored exactly as expected. I'm curious if the 1.4.5 wifi profiles will work in 2.1. I'll update this when I know more.

The only thing is that I've had problems with calendar sync google calendars. I've figured out that if I reduce the number of calendars, it works. But it's not as simple as it was in 1.4.5. I don't know if this is a problem with my google account or webOS.

Downloaded Mode Switcher this morning. The availability of that app in 2.x was what kept me from doing this earlier.

I can't think of any other caveats. But if I do, I'll update.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Mode Switcher 2.x FTW! Wow, it's a ton faster than 1.x.
  4.    #4  
    So... To clarify you doctored to 2.1. Tested a new profile. Once satisfied you used the meta doctor again and then logged into your profile. Is that accurate?
    In short, yes.
    I was already running 2.1 on a Pre- that I signed into with my old profile. My 6 palm profile contacts all all memos and all that synced fine. Then I made the Pre+ conversion and everything went according to plan. None of that 9.9.9 business and I can purchase apps just fine including MPR and Voices, etc.

Save/Restore worked fine although don't quote me on launcher organization (I reorganized everything on account of no 4x4 anyway). Wifi profiles worked.

You might at well delete all patches on your saved package list since you'll basically be starting over in that regard (in a fun way!), but you can do that before you doctor/save or just before you hit that install all button.

Enjoy!
    Yeah, I did mine the other way round. Made the FrankenPrePlus first. Then upgraded to 2.1.

I should note that save/restore on the wifi profiles does not seem to work. But has worked all of the application data that I've tried to restore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    I was already running 2.1 on a Pre- that I signed into with my old profile. My 6 palm profile contacts all all memos and all that synced fine. Then I made the Pre+ conversion and everything went according to plan. None of that 9.9.9 business and I can purchase apps just fine including MPR and Voices, etc.

Save/Restore worked fine although don't quote me on launcher organization (I reorganized everything on account of no 4x4 anyway). Wifi profiles worked.

You might at well delete all patches on your saved package list since you'll basically be starting over in that regard (in a fun way!), but you can do that before you doctor/save or just before you hit that install all button.

Enjoy!
    you pretty much answered what I was wondering since I will be starting the process in about a hour. I wasn't sure if I would have to doctor back down to 1.4.5 first since I already have 2.1 on my pre- .
  9.    #9  
    Thanks. Did you copy your hidden usb folders? Did you copy all your visible usb folders? Which one's did you copy to your new 2.1?
    Did you do the PRL portion?
    Last edited by crucian4; 04/17/2011 at 09:00 AM. Reason: added a question
    Quote Originally Posted by crucian4 View Post
    Thanks. Did you copy your hidden usb folders? Did you copy all your visible usb folders? Which one's did you copy to your new 2.1?
    Did you do the PRL portion?
    I copied every folder that I could copy. Some of them ended up with data in them that had filenames too large for Windows. Those I skipped. But everything else I copied. Then I selectively replaced the things I knew I wanted back.

I did not do the PRL portion, but that was only because I forgot. If I'm desperate, I can get the PRL stuff off of my old Pre-. Won't worry about that until the next PRL comes out. Without copying the PRL stuff, my phone retained the current PRL from before I upgraded.
    Where do you find the PRL portion?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ------------------------------------------------------
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I copied every folder that I could copy. Some of them ended up with data in them that had filenames too large for Windows. Those I skipped. But everything else I copied. Then I selectively replaced the things I knew I wanted back.

I did not do the PRL portion, but that was only because I forgot. If I'm desperate, I can get the PRL stuff off of my old Pre-. Won't worry about that until the next PRL comes out. Without copying the PRL stuff, my phone retained the current PRL from before I upgraded.
    I successfully did the upgrade last night. I decided to test the new scripts as is. I got a few errors after my first meta-doctor build. I tried to run the doctor but it failed. I did another git pull and make clobber. This time the doctor finished with no errors. Everything is working thus far. My Pre ends in a five. I have good service so its fine for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by crucian4 View Post
    I successfully did the upgrade last night. I decided to test the new scripts as is. I got a few errors after my first meta-doctor build. I tried to run the doctor but it failed. I did another git pull and make clobber. This time the doctor finished with no errors. Everything is working thus far. My Pre ends in a five. I have good service so its fine for now.
    Nice! Well done!
    I tried to upgrade while bypassing step 2, but I couldn't log into my Palm account or create a new one.

Anyone have any suggestions? I really want the OS upgrade, but I don't want to lose my contacts (the apps I can replace).