1.    #1  
    Found a Pre Plus in great shape on craigslist for $60 with two touchstones. Been looking to get a webOS phone to replace my old BlackBerry for a while now and thought this looked like a good deal.

Lookin forward to the free mobile hotspot... my BB usb port is starting to get loose and tethering sucks if I move my phone at all. Interested in any tips or tricks as I want to tweak this thing and have some fun with it.
    great price expecially with two touchstones. go for it.
    Tricks & tweaks? You found the right place. Recommend this: Application:Preware - WebOS Internals
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Assuming the offer is legit and the devices in decent condition this is a great deal.

Even if it gets replaced in 10 months it would be worth it (and the Touchstones alone would still be useful for future webos devices like Pre3).

$60 is less than a single Touchstone cost originally (though I must say that I considered that overpriced - but sucker that I am I got one anyway right away and never regretted that).
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    I have just bought one from Kijiji from Barrie Ontario Canada for the same price with 2 touchstones, I say well its a good investment.

go for it.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks I should be picking it up tomorrow - I still think the pre plus is the best bang for your buck right now for a pretty powerful smartphone that you can have some fun hacking around with. Seems like WebOS Quick Install and Preware are the places to start poking around at.

Plus the fact that I don't have to sign my life away to Verizon for another 2 years is always nice. Sitting on my upgrade option until I see what is coming around this summer should make things interesting.
    Couple of things. There's a pretty good reason the guy has two touchstones. Battery is generally a problem. So you want the ability to charge whenever you can. That said, there are some tips for better battery life. Most of which have some utility, but for me the mode switcher tip has worked the best. Little complicated, but good.

You might also consider buying a spare battery. They're cheap.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    A couple weeks ago I paid $80 for a Pre Plus and one touchstone. Couldn't be happier. (Well... that might be a tad of an overstatement.) Enjoy the new phone and this website! Tons of good people and good information.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Sounds like a good deal! I just bought a nearly perfect Verizon Pre Plus off eBay for $70 shipped. I wanted one to play with on Wifi until my carrier gets new Web OS devices. Preware worked great for me. I'm up and running and even able to buy apps. Have fun!
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    Found a Pre Plus in great shape on craigslist for $60 with two touchstones. Been looking to get a webOS phone to replace my old BlackBerry for a while now and thought this looked like a good deal.

Lookin forward to the free mobile hotspot... my BB usb port is starting to get loose and tethering sucks if I move my phone at all. Interested in any tips or tricks as I want to tweak this thing and have some fun with it.
    There have been some updates, but for the basics & more, this is the best guide I ever saw:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...recentral.html

I have a 6 page pdf format of the above link, but i don't know how to get it in the forums.

if you don't go for it , do me a favor and pm me the link to it so I can buy it.
  12.    #12  
    Got it yesterday - forgot about the emergency call trick to activate the thing, but we got it set up and I've already got preware and uberkernel loaded with a few apps and my snes roms. What is a good NES emulator?

Thinking of springing for Carbon as it seems to be the best twitter app - out of curiosity, does it do lists?

Got a little movement on the screen part of the slider when i start to slide it up, but I guess that kind of comes with the territory. I also kinda wish it had the pixi keyboard - coming from the BB keyboard is a bit of a change. Getting used to it though. Gonna stick with 1.4.5 oc'd to 800/500 for a bit and see how that works before trying an upgrade. That way I'll have something to compare it to at least
  13.    #13  
    Dang - maybe it's because I'm coming from a Blackberry, I've been able to find a good app for just about everything I could ask for so far.

Pre Plus running 1.4.5 still. Uberkernel 500/1000 screenstate setting.
    Apps:
    Preware - Works awesome and seems faster than the WebOS app catalog.
    Carbon Beta - Still better than 99% of twitter apps from what I see. Also, free.
    SuperNES - controls a bit tricky but for some games I think this works well.
    Pandora / Grooveshark / Stitcher - Whoa streaming trifecta. Also, all free.
    Music (Remix) - w/ auto resume launcher this is very well integrated. Also like the use of notifications.
    Facebook app - leaves a lot to be desired in my use. Mobile web seems to provide a better experience still.
    Youtube - built in app. works.
    Google Maps - actually works very well so far in my use.
    AccuWeather - location based. free. works.
    Today's Purchases - awesome free app to keep track of recent payments/charges on the go.
    Dr. Battery - looks neat. will try reconditioning battery when i get an extended one.

Some random games/fun things I decided to load:
    Arnold Soundboard - had to see what this was. just OK.
    Beat Box - looks nifty but requires some time to put loops together.
    miniPiano - not bad. free.
    Saber Ultimate - lol lightsaber
    Stardust - Kids love it.
    Art of Glow / Glow Hockey - free versions are a little annoying but have a very neat look to them.
    Angry Birds Lite - still just messing around. self explanatory. Give me a good gorillas.bas port and I'll be happy.
    Quake - just to see it on the screen is cool.
    TetriCrisis - looking for a decent free tetris clone, or better yet NES emulator.

Now I just need to pick up a new battery to try and make it a bit longer off the charger - the battery it came with is not in great shape it seems. Looking at the 1400 mugen Review [HLI-PRESL] Buy Mugen Power 1400mAh Extended Battery For Palm Pre, Palm Pre 2 and Palm Pixi
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Got it yesterday - forgot about the emergency call trick to activate the thing, but we got it set up and I've already got preware and uberkernel loaded with a few apps and my snes roms. What is a good NES emulator?

Thinking of springing for Carbon as it seems to be the best twitter app - out of curiosity, does it do lists?

Got a little movement on the screen part of the slider when i start to slide it up, but I guess that kind of comes with the territory. I also kinda wish it had the pixi keyboard - coming from the BB keyboard is a bit of a change. Getting used to it though. Gonna stick with 1.4.5 oc'd to 800/500 for a bit and see how that works before trying an upgrade. That way I'll have something to compare it to at least
    you should just jump straight to 2.1. it's way better. i'm on pre minus running 2.1 oc'd 1000/500, and it's great. it's enough to tye me over until the pre3 and touchpad are released.

preware has enough patches as well to make it worth it. i suggest you grab the uberkernle, govnah, tweaks, muffle system logging, and everything listed in the 'Advanced' section (by everything i mean everything that supports your specific phone) for patches in preware. Fire all those up and set them up... Should you find yourself missing stuff, then start digging through preware.

it's like a completely different phone once you do that...
  15.    #15  
    hmm very tempted by the 2.1 talk. what instructions did you use to do the upgrade?

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
  16. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
  17.    #17  
    Gotcha - downloading all the prerequisites now - got the webosdoctorp101ueu-wr.jar version of the 2.1.0 image for O2 pre plus to doctor with. Will that play nice with the verizon phone I've got and give me english and all that?

Last time I played around with swapping phone software like this was on my old Razr v3m to get rid of the verizon skinning, lol. Can't wait to give this a shot later tonight.

18. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Not sure, I'm on Sprint. The first go around I was totally confused and just tried to follow instructions (read: have no clue what heck I'm doing or how Linux works). Then I decided to try one of the experimental 1.2ghz kernels and the bottom fell out. After that I got around to doctoring back to 1.4.5 and I decided to start all over again and that's when it all made sense. Now I understand how it works and even customized my doctor file to include the pre-installed apps I want. Should make it lots easier if I need to do again but overall I am happy with 2.1.0. There's a few "glitches" but what the heck... that's the fun part!

Oh yeah, there's flash now with 2.1.0 so I guess that's a benefit. Not really used too much unless I'm really bored. Best part is I show off to my iPhone friends.
    Last edited by mk3; 04/18/2011 at 04:11 PM.
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    Pandora / Grooveshark / Stitcher - Whoa streaming trifecta. Also, all free.
    You can use Grooveshark for free? How? I have to pay to use it.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    You can use Grooveshark for free? How? I have to pay to use it.
    Oh sorry, looks like it may be a free trial that I just haven't exhausted yet. I guess I just haven't hit the 50 songs yet.