View Poll Results: What hardware did you use to upgrade and are you happy?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • I upgraded my Pre- to 2.x and I'm happy

26 38.24%
  • I upgraded my Pre- to 2.x but I went back to 1.4.5

6 8.82%
  • I upgraded my Pre+ to 2.x and I'm happy

22 32.35%
  • I upgraded my Pre+ to 2.x and I went back to 1.4.5

1 1.47%
  • None of the above / I like voting in polls

13 19.12%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm curious how people are reacting to the upgrade to 2.x. I'd like to get an idea if the happiness with the upgrade is related to the hardware that you use. E.g. are people who upgraded a Pre+ more satisfied than those who upgraded a Pre-.

If you decided to go back, fill in the details in the comments. I'd love to know why you've gone back and what hardware you had.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    I think to full enjoy 2.1, you need over 256mb of ram. It's a muc more consistent experience running 1.4.5 on the Pre-. It really never slows down if you have some good govnah settings, and never really freezes. Now 2.1 was full of random freezez reboots and I was always maxing out my ram. I've never tried 2.1 on a Pre+, but I would assume it's a bit better. I'm sure it would not run out of memory as quickly.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Day 4 with 2.1 on my Pre-, and I'm no longer itching to make a FrankenPre 2 for Sprint-- I'm no longer itching to buy a new phone period, in fact.
    I'll look forward to a better camera, performance and Flash on the Pre 3-- but my original Pre feels pretty fresh now with WebOS 2.1, love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rumz View Post
    Day 4 with 2.1 on my Pre-, and I'm no longer itching to make a FrankenPre 2 for Sprint-- I'm no longer itching to buy a new phone period, in fact.
    I'll look forward to a better camera, performance and Flash on the Pre 3-- but my original Pre feels pretty fresh now with WebOS 2.1, love it.
    Well said and well done lol
    so happy here also
    3 weeks into 2.1.0 on my Verizon Pre+, I'm very pleased. It really needs the 1gb overclock, (at LEAST 800mb) and the battery takes a beating, but the enhancements are wonderful.

Flash works with the thorough, detailed instructions for adding it by Jason. It's a slight touchy, with a tiny bit of stutter, but very workable.

It feels like a new phone, and makes it bearable until new webos options become available. (Pre 3?)

Take Care
    I'm running 2.1 on my Sprint Pre-. With proper govnah settings, its a very smooth experience. My battery life is a bit better as well. The only time I experience lag is if I have more than 7 or so different apps open at the same time. As I rarely do this, it is a non-issue for me. Other than that, just missing the free sprint navigation app but that can be added back through slightly *nefarious* efforts and haven't done so. No random reboots or anything of the sort.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Is there a congealed list of the differences one can expect between 1.4.5 and 2.1 as well as known bugs with 2.1? I know the main 2.x improvements with stacks and whatnot, but what are the other small caveats that have popped up from people using the system? Examples would be not being able to hide the quick launch bar, not being able to change the width of icons in the main launcher. The main bug I have heard about is the voice dialer triggering when plugging headphones into the jack. I saw the 2.1 bugs thread but reading though 10+ pages of possible bugs is too much for me. Much appreciation to anybody who can point me in the direction of anything remotely close to this sort of comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I'm curious how people are reacting to the upgrade to 2.x. I'd like to get an idea if the happiness with the upgrade is related to the hardware that you use. E.g. are people who upgraded a Pre+ more satisfied than those who upgraded a Pre-.

If you decided to go back, fill in the details in the comments. I'd love to know why you've gone back and what hardware you had.
    I love my pre- with 2.1 . I would never doctor back. Its overclocked, with flash, and sprint nav works awesome. As well as all the apps that I had on 1.4.5. Except for one patch that I miss more than I ever thought I would. Vkb is non existent in 2.1. All in all I think everyone should ditch 1.4.5 all together
    Only with overclocking at 1.1Ghz... there's only so far that poor device can go...

pre-
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    so true. But to be honest, my little pre- is like a gladiator. It might look a little beat up at this point, but it just keeps amazing me with what it still able to do that most phones can't and will never be able to do. If only the hardware was built as solid as the evo.
    I really didn't ran 2.1 in my Pre- to have an objective opinion about it, but I have on my Plus, and let me tell you, the experience is amazing. Much better and stable than 1.4.5 (it rebooted on me for the first time yesterday, after more than a month).

Of course, it's overclocked, but just at 800Mhz, it even runs nice at 720Mhz.

You won't regret it. For the minuses you can try playing with the compcache size and overclocking.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    I had 2.1 on a sprint pre- and was really irritated by the web browser. Evertime I would use the browser my phone would slow down to a crawl even when overclocked.

This pushed me to get a pre plus that I used to make a sprint franken pre plus. I put 2.1 on it and love it. I haven't had a slow down yet!

Now I'll be able to hold off until september when I'm able to upgrade. When I was using my pre- I didn't think I would make it.
    Running it on a Sprint Pre Plus and I selected that I'm happy.

There are definitely hiccups. I'm having the camera bug where it won't save new pictures until it goes into USB mode (which might be caused by something i did after the upgrade itself) and I don't think I've quite found my ideal Govnah settings yet. Exhibition and Just Type/Quick Action settings not sticking is annoying.

But I looove that SMS is automatically backed up. The account management rules. Text assist rules. Just Type rules. TWEAKS FTW! Stacks is fine, but I almost never find myself building my own stacks and I had to break this minimize-a-card-and-dismiss-it-in-one-fluid-motion gesture that I had down because sometimes it'll result in closing a card I didn't want to. All in all there's a lot I wouldn't want to give up. I also like that I have a 2.x profile ready to roll (**insert another shoutout to SMS backup here**) for when new hardware lands, which I still want to happen ASAFrickin'P.

P.S. Nice poll. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Only with overclocking at 1.1Ghz... there's only so far that poor device can go...

pre-
    +1

it does have its "episodes" that it goes through, and sometimes it gets a "little" aggravating, but I've learned to deal with it, it's a great exercise of patience for me There's too many pros vs. cons to think about going back. On a happy scale of 1-10, I'm sitting around a 7, and that's probably exactly where I was sitting with 1.4.5.
    Very happy to have upgrade to WebOS 2.1 on my Pre - the only thing that matters me is the fact that BELL and Palm doesn't support version higher than WebOS 1.4.5 !!!!!
    ----------------------------------
    Alain (abellemare44)
    HP Pre3 2.2.4 (ATT 4G 16 Gigs) with BELL in Canada

HP TouchPad 16 Gigs Wifi
    With UberKernel 3.0.4 1,8 Ghz
    Cyanogenmod 7 Alpha 3,5 Android 2.3.7

PS: sorry for the bad english, it's not my native language
    Quote Originally Posted by abellemare44 View Post
    Very happy to have upgrade to WebOS 2.1 on my Pre - the only thing that matters me is the fact that BELL and Palm doesn't support version higher than WebOS 1.4.5 !!!!!
    It doesn't matter that they don't support it, now that you have it, does it?

And if I recall correctly, it doesn't have anything to do with Bell supporting or not supporting the upgrade. That was purely HP's doing and their decision to not do an official upgrade. Big round of applause (and donations) to those mad scientists that call themselves webOS Internals
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    There are definitely hiccups. I'm having the camera bug where it won't save new pictures until it goes into USB mode (which might be caused by something i did after the upgrade itself) and I don't think I've quite found my ideal Govnah settings yet.
    You might want to look here: http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...00#post2937700

I don't think you are alone with camera issues.
  18.    #18  
    Thanks for the responses, all! I wanted to get an idea if the lag issues were related to RAM restrictions of a Pre-. And seeing that (at this point) 100% of respondants who upgraded a Pre+ are happy, that suggests to me that upgrading my Pre+ will result in an improvement.

So last night I took the plunge & I'm on 2.1. I'm still playing with it. I'm not sure I'll keep it. I upgraded via creating a new profile so that I could easily go back to 1.4.5 w/o any hassle if I needed to.

Initial impressions:
    • Just type is much better than universal search
    • Like (not love) exhibition... and hey look at that, govnah has an exhibition mode!
    • Seems a little slower than 1.4.5.
    • Voice Dial works well. Don't know how much I'll use it, though.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 04/15/2011 at 10:09 AM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    It doesn't matter that they don't support it, now that you have it, does it?

And if I recall correctly, it doesn't have anything to do with Bell supporting or not supporting the upgrade. That was purely HP's doing and their decision to not do an official upgrade. Big round of applause (and donations) to those mad scientists that call themselves webOS Internals
    Wrooooong!! You can only download and buy applications from the catalog as defined by the version of your device in your Palm Profile. That version is determined by the arrangement Palm and the carrier did.

So, if the carrier said "No 2.1 for my users", you won't be able to buy or download 2.x apps from the catalog.
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Looove 2.1! I was skeptical before upgrading. So glad I made that decision. Text Dictionary is awesome!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast