Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    I dropped my pre+ about 3 feet onto a tile floor while trying to put it in the pouch, screen cracked. the crack runs across the bottom third of the screen diagonally more or less, making the touch features of the screen in this area unusable. Which leaves it unable to slide up to unlock (though can open slider) and select various options in this area. The screen looks fine (apart from the crack) but trying to tap in this area does nothing. Unless I press really really hard then it gets stuck tapping random locations nowhere near this area (towards the top of the crack).

My girlfriend also had a pre+ I had bought her and she'd never been that fond of it so long story short she ended up with a different phone and I got her palm pre +, since I was still waiting for the 3 to come to AT&T (or if not to make a decision about what to do then).

I swapped the sim cards, transferred my profile over, got all the preware and homebrew stuff back (she never did, maybe part of the reason she was not as fond of it)... but now still have that damaged phone. I thought I might try and get it fixed... or maybe sell it... but either way I wanted my old data off of it. I can connect it via usb cable, but cannot set it to USB mode since I can't tap that area (I'd been using a patch that normally defaulted to charge only, but even if not I still couldn't tap on the area that would say to go to USB mode.

That aside if i sell it for parts or whatever I also want to wipe it. Again I cannot get to the device info to reset. All I can do is what I can via the power button and the keyboard. Right now it functions as a charger for what is now an extra battery.

Is there some way to get it into USB mode without tapping the charge indicator to go to USB mode?
    Connect the usb and then type:
    option + sym + u on keyboard. (option=grey square key)
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    I already signed its profile out... I guess I could have done that last night. Now my only options are to restart phone or reset. and I can't select either. And I can't reload the profile either since that would require interacting with the screen. I fear I need some PC-based utility to access stuff in spite of the mode or its lost.
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    Thanks... I was able to get that to run.

But that still didn't let me get it into USB mode.

But thanks to that I was able to get Quick Install to work and used that to install "USB Mode", an app that would start USB mode.

Then, using the keyboard I typed in "USB", and brought that up... in the upper portion of the screen that still somewhat responds to touch (albeit increasingly erratically.. but one successful tap was all it took).

Started USB mode with that, and viola, got all my stuff off of there, into a folder and now to my other pre.

Thank you, did not know about the bypass tool, could not have done this without it.

Now I still need a eulogy for this poor pre+, it was a good phone. I think I'll keep it as a battery charger for now...