Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    My Pre (-) has been dying slowly. Cant connect to Bluetooth, Wifi, freezes, touchscreen not working momentarily and what not. Which I had already planned to get it replace at a Sprint store but that is not my dilema. My dilema is that a few days ago my micro usb port got to the point where I had to play around with it so it can actually charge, to the point where I was coming up with crazy ways of positioning it so it can charge where I didnt have to hold it the whole time. Well last night in one of those attempts I dropped my phone with the usb cord still intact, where it totally knocked the usb port out of place where it doesnt charge AT ALL nor does it give me the option to put it in USB mode.

Luckly I have a touchstone but what about my music, photos and textes?? Losing my textes Im willing to live with but I have 100's of purchased songs and a lot of photos of my daughter, family and my girlfriend. But How will I be able to back them up if I can connect it to my PC and back them up?? Emailing will take for ever. Is there any other way?
    Look for options to use wifi with pc to exchange files and then use save/restore to backup everything and tranfer those files. I'm pretty sure there are several options for this in the App Cat and Preware.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Look for options to use wifi with pc to exchange files and then use save/restore to backup everything and tranfer those files. I'm pretty sure there are several options for this in the App Cat and Preware.
    But thats the thing, my phone doesnt connect to wifi anymore and the only PC that I have is my work computer. They dont let you connect to the wifi I've been emailing most of my pics this morning but what about my music? That's alot of money ughhhh
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezer29 View Post
    But thats the thing, my phone doesnt connect to wifi anymore and the only PC that I have is my work computer. They dont let you connect to the wifi I've been emailing most of my pics this morning but what about my music? That's alot of money ughhhh
    Wifi is dead also? Dang. You can send the music in email also - just a lot of emails. Maybe you could send the save/restore files I mentioned as attachments also.

Where did the music come from - how did it get on the phone?
    When my Pre+ was dying that way, I worked with Verizon techs in ways that resuscitated it partially and temporarily. Try powering down, taking out the battery, restarting. If that doesn't work, take out the battery while still powered up.
    My Pre, like yours, was dying, but I was able to temporarily restore connectivity, e.g., WiFi, in that manner. I have no idea why it worked. (the bad news is that I was in the wilderness of central TX without my computer to back up to...)
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Wifi is dead also? Dang. You can send the music in email also - just a lot of emails. Maybe you could send the save/restore files I mentioned as attachments also.

Where did the music come from - how did it get on the phone?
    Yea man.. Most or almost all the songs I got them through the Amazon MP3 app or that homebrew app Music Wave lite.. The save restore thing that a patch that I can get through Preware? And sending my music through email is that done through the stock music app or can I do it with Music Player Remix?
    I think you can still pull this off.

*EDIT* Skip this post and use the third idea I wrote in a later post below (starting at post #13) about using online storage apps. No rooting/Preware required.

Here are some ideas (Hopefully you already have dev mode turned on and Preware installed).

1. Web(HTTP) Access

Load Preware, go to Available Packages -> Optware -> All, and install the "Lighty Web Server", which is supposed to give you read access to everything on /media/internal/www folder on your Pre through a web browser. It should work even over your regular Sprint 3G/EVDO (non-wifi) connection.

An easy way to get the IP address for your Pre is to just open the browser on the Pre and go to What Is My IP Address - Shows Your IP Address and write down the IP address it shows you. It'll be in the form of "###.###.###.###"

So, once its set up, just open a web browser and go to http://your-IP-address, replacing "your-IP-address" with the number/period sequence you wrote down.

Before you connect, you want to copy/move any files you want into /media/internal/www using the "Internalz" file manager app or the "Terminal" command line app.

Once you're in you can probably just start right clicking and saving files. I think maybe Internet Explorer might let you save a whole folder at once rather than one file at a time.

-Note: I'm trying this out so far on my phone and while I can get right in over wifi, my phone is blocking port 80 from connecting over a 3G connection. Anybody remember the linux iptables terminal command to port 80 for that connection off the top of their head?

---------

2. FTP access

If you can get an FTP service running on your Pre, then you should also be able to remotely get in and browse/download files using a PC, even over your regular Sprint 3G/EVDO (non-wifi) connection.

Check out this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...filezilla.html

The method in the first post involves setting up SSH for encryption, which could be a problem if you need to copy encryption keys to your PC since you don't have USB connectivity.

The second poster mentions his method of remote accessing files by just isntalling WinSCP on his PC, and Optware on the Pre, which doesn't seem to need USB to get set up.

Btw, when it's time to connect from your PC to your Pre, an easy way to get the IP address for your Pre is to just open the browser on the Pre and go to What Is My IP Address - Shows Your IP Address

Once you're able to start copying files, I would make sure you keep your phone charging on the touchstone since it'll take a while to transfer over that much stuff, especially the music, using your regular Sprint connection. Obviously try and have your phone/touchstone plugged in someplace where you'll have a good signal to help things out.
    Last edited by sq5; 04/12/2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Added idea.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    I think you can still pull this off.

Here's an idea (Hopefully you already have dev mode turned on and Preware installed).

If you can get an FTP service running on your Pre, then you should be able to be able to remotely get in and browse/download files using a PC, even over your regular Sprint 3G/EVDO (non-wifi) connection.

Check out this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...filezilla.html

The method in the first post involves setting up SSH for encryption, which could be a problem if you need to copy encryption keys to your PC since you don't have USB connectivity.

The second poster mentions his method of remote accessing files by just isntalling WinSCP on his PC, and Optware on the Pre, which doesn't seem to need USB to get set up.

Btw, when it's time to connect from your PC to your Pre, an easy way to get the IP address for your Pre is to just open the browser on the Pre and go to What Is My IP Address - Shows Your IP Address

Once you're able to start copying files, I would make sure you keep your phone charging on the touchstone since it'll take a while to transfer over that much stuff, especially the music, using your regular Sprint connection. Obviously try and have your phone/touchstone plugged in someplace where you'll have a good signal to help things out.
    Thanx I going to have to try this option I just came back from the Sprint store and they were telling me that I have to pay the deductable b/c there was a crack next to the usb port.. That upset me b/c that has nothing to do with my phone not connecting to Wifi or bluetooth!! Its one of the many Pre's I've had to replace which I had replaced at that same store for bluetooth issues.. Being a loyal webOS fan is not easy
    Yea man.. Most or almost all the songs I got them through the Amazon MP3 app or that homebrew app Music Wave lite.. The save restore thing that a patch that I can get through Preware? And sending my music through email is that done through the stock music app or can I do it with Music Player Remix?
    All of the music is in /media/internal/music but you can't directly attach from the path. However when you start a new email and choose to attach, clicking on the headphones brings up your music in an easy to attach format. Don't click the play icon just the name and it will attach to the email. Mind the limits (I can't recall the max) and you'll be fine. Do you have Preware? If so one of the patches allows up to 25mb emails.
    Thanx I going to have to try this option I just came back from the Sprint store and they were telling me that I have to pay the deductable b/c there was a crack next to the usb port.. That upset me b/c that has nothing to do with my phone not connecting to Wifi or bluetooth!! Its one of the many Pre's I've had to replace which I had replaced at that same store for bluetooth issues.. Being a loyal webOS fan is not easy
    Yep sometimes its not easy, but having fellow folks like us hopefully helps get around those times, better than with any other platform. Check back on my previous instructions now and again for a bit, because I'm going to try them out myself soon and update them.
    *Update: I'm trying out my first idea so far on my own phone and while I can get right in over wifi, my phone's firewall is blocking port 80 from connecting over a 3G connection. Anybody remember the linux "iptables" terminal command off the top of their head to open port 80 on the firewall for that connection?
    *Update: Apparently the issue is two-fold but not too major. First is that Sprint blocks port 80 on their end for security reasons. Second is that Lighty Web Server is set up to block 3G connections by default for security reasons. The solution to both issues it is to just edit the config file for Lighty Web Server to enable 3G access and use a different port number, and then reboot your phone. I'm trying to determine the easiest way to do this. (Using the "vi" editor command in the Terminal app on the Pre itself isn't straightforward because I don't know what I would use for arrow keys on the Pre keyboard.)
    *Third Idea (super-easy):

Install one of the apps for online storage (Zumodrive, dropbox, box.net). Then you can upload your music files to the online storage, and then just go over to your PC and download them.

*NOTE: I personally have ZumoDrive so I just tried this and it definitely works! I think you might just have to select and upload them one at a time. Maybe the dropbox or box.net apps let you do a multiple files or a whole folder at a time...I haven't used those before.
    Last edited by sq5; 04/12/2011 at 04:56 PM.
    *Third Idea (possibly SUPER-easy):

Install one of the apps for online storage (Zumodrive, dropbox, box.net). Then you can upload your music files to the online storage, and then just go over to your PC and download them.

*NOTE: I personally have ZumoDrive so I just tried this and it definitely works! I think you might just have to select and upload them one at a time. Maybe the dropbox or box.net apps let you do a multiple files or a whole folder at a time...I haven't used those before.
    Great idea!
    *Update: I definitely recommended going with my third option. It doesn't even require rooting or Preware.

If you DO have your phone rooted with Preware installed, there is one thing you could also do that might make your life WAY easier by not having to upload your music files one-by-one:

-From Preware, install the Terminal app.
    -Load the Terminal app
    -At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing enter after each one (don't type the quotes btw)

"cd /media/internal"
    "tar -zcvf music.tar.gz music/"
    "exit"

-Swipe up and close the Terminal app.

What this does is take your music folder and lump it into one big compressed file (similar to a .zip file). Note: You can do the same thing for other folders within /media/internal/ like your pictures ("DCIM/"), wallpapers ("wallpapers/"), ringtones ("ringtones/"), and others.

Now you can just use ZumoDrive or a similar app to upload that whole wad of music in one shot. It should take less time to boot! (Remember of course to keep your phone on the touchstone while it uploads so it stays charged, and put it someplace you get a good 3G signal.)

Once the music.tar.gz file is done uploading, go to your PC and download the music.tar.gz file to a new folder somewhere there. Finally, use a program like 7-zip (google for it) to unzip and extract your music from the music.tar.gz file and you're all set!
    Last edited by sq5; 04/12/2011 at 04:58 PM.
    im in the same boat expect im just going to get a new phone lol
    Quote Originally Posted by juavez707 View Post
    im in the same boat expect im just going to get a new phone lol
    I think the OP is definitely getting a replacement Pre too. His whole issue is just that he wants to get his pictures and music off of the old phone first, since those are not automatically backed up online in the Palm Profile.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    *Third Idea (super-easy):

This options sounds great and I'll start with this one.. I'll keep you guys updated once I have a chance. Again thank you and everyone who put their input into my concerns. This is truly a great community and yes I will be getting a replacement phone. I just have to get it through craigslist b/c I refuse to pay the deductable. This would be my 3 deductable that I would be paying. I spoke to Assurion and they couldnt do anything for me b/c I didnt get the phone from them..

The only good news I got was when I called Sprints customer service they she said that yes she has hear about the Pre 3 and that Sprint plans on getting it but they dont know when its going to be released.. I personally dont take that statement as a confirmation but just to hear that she has heard about the phone is some good news.. Usually when I speak to a rep they have no clue that their was a Pre 3.. Thanx again to all you guy.. You guys rock :-)
    This options sounds great and I'll start with this one.. I'll keep you guys updated once I have a chance. Again thank you and everyone who put their input into my concerns. This is truly a great community and yes I will be getting a replacement phone. I just have to get it through craigslist b/c I refuse to pay the deductable. This would be my 3 deductable that I would be paying. I spoke to Assurion and they couldnt do anything for me b/c I didnt get the phone from them..

The only good news I got was when I called Sprints customer service they she said that yes she has hear about the Pre 3 and that Sprint plans on getting it but they dont know when its going to be released.. I personally dont take that statement as a confirmation but just to hear that she has heard about the phone is some good news.. Usually when I speak to a rep they have no clue that their was a Pre 3.. Thanx again to all you guy.. You guys rock :-)
    I hope it works out for you! Don't forget to have a look at my later post (#15) if your music folder isn't too big to fit all at once on one of the online storage services. Going in and "zipping" the whole music folder into one file first might save you a boatload of time. Good luck!