Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

In preware, there is a patch called "enable virtual keypad". But when I select it, it says that the patch is not for web os 2.1..
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    there is a app in the catalog called WON O.S.K. Which uses Skype for keyboard as well. Its only 3$ and is decent for the price. Perhaps ud like to try it out, or have you tried using webos Qi for the Virtual Keyboard? Just asking.
    There are a couple of P|C articles that talk about editing a file manually and enabling the built-in virtual keyboard.

From personal experience, I can say it does work, but it is buggy. Expect to restart your phone if you decide to use it.

Location of articles and names of files are left as an exercise for the reader.
  4.    #4  
    Hi,

@Tooley : What is webos Qi?

@FordPrefect : Earlier I had webos 1.4.5 in palm pre. At that "Enable virtual keyboard patch" worked correctly. Not much buggy. Useful @ few places. Now I want it in my webos 2.1. Please guide. Where are those articles?
  5.    #5  
    did you meant yo say Quic Install?? If it so, what patch do I have to download from there?
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Webos Quick Install
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    in Webos Quick Install, I'm sure there are a few diffrent options for virtual keyboard access. Also I do remember some time ago, that Central did post a article on how to unlock it in 2.0
    I unlocked the virtual keyboard just to see how it was, but I wouldnt recommend it. I quickly turned it back off because it did nothing but slow down and freeze my phone up. If I were you, I'd forget about it.
  9.    #9  
    In QI-Patches list, I can see two patches - "Enable onscreen keyboard", "Virtual keyboard". But both says that not available for webos 2.1..
  10.    #10  
    @Tooley : do u have tht article link which talk about unlocking keyboard in webos 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by tmuthuraj View Post
    In QI-Patches list, I can see two patches - "Enable onscreen keyboard", "Virtual keyboard". But both says that not available for webos 2.1..
    Thats because those are the patches for 1.4.5 and MAYBE one for 2.0. In 2.0 the virtual Keyboard worked ok. But in 2.1 it does not.
  12.    #12  
    So is there no way to get on-screen keypad in webos 2.1??
    In my earlier os version this was really useful, if I have to just type 2 letters to search for a contact, or to make a quick sms, or for other things where just two three letter typings is only required.
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    my suggestion is to shell out the 3$ and get the keyboard from the catalog, yes its a separate app, rather than a on command just to slide up. No I don't have the article, as a matter of fact I was just going top look for it to help you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmuthuraj View Post
    So is there no way to get on-screen keypad in webos 2.1??
    In my earlier os version this was really useful, if I have to just type 2 letters to search for a contact, or to make a quick sms, or for other things where just two three letter typings is only required.
    As of right now, the only way to get a virtual keyboard on 2.1 is to edit a CSS file on your phone to enable it. Doing this, however, is not stable and has a lot of problems which is why a virtual keyboard on 2.1 is not common right now and there are no patches for it. There are apps in the catalog that give you this function but in a different way that the patch you had before.
    i have the virtual keybard on my sprint pre+ with 2.1. I found a patch for it. Here is a link to the post where the patch is. Beware though that it does not run stable yet and at time it will crash and make the phone do like a luna restart I think. But it is possible to get it. Her is the link. IT IS PRETTY UNSTABLE SO BEWARE!!!!

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...d-2-0-1-a.html
    Sprint Palm Pre+ WebOS 2.1 W/ Flash. OC'D 500/1.1ghz.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    As of right now, the only way to get a virtual keyboard on 2.1 is to edit a CSS file on your phone to enable it. Doing this, however, is not stable and has a lot of problems which is why a virtual keyboard on 2.1 is not common right now and there are no patches for it. There are apps in the catalog that give you this function but in a different way that the patch you had before.

what's the directory?
    Quote Originally Posted by kristoffer10 View Post
    what's the directory?
    If you REALLY want to do this, the file you can edit is /etc/palm/luna.conf. Just add the lines at the end:

[VirtualKeyboard]
    VirtualKeyboardEnabled=true

I would make a backup of this file first though in case it doesnt work you can replace it with the backup again. As was said before, this is not stable and will most likely cause your phone to freeze and restart.
    Quote Originally Posted by TOOLEY View Post
    there is a app in the catalog called WON O.S.K. Which uses Skype for keyboard as well. Its only 3$ and is decent for the price. Perhaps ud like to try it out, or have you tried using webos Qi for the Virtual Keyboard? Just asking.
    not worth the $3 in my opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    If you REALLY want to do this, the file you can edit is /etc/palm/luna.conf. Just add the lines at the end:

[VirtualKeyboard]
    VirtualKeyboardEnabled=true

I would make a backup of this file first though in case it doesnt work you can replace it with the backup again. As was said before, this is not stable and will most likely cause your phone to freeze and restart.
    Sweet! Thanks! I'll take a look at it...
    So how did this go? Can the new folks who enabled this report their success/failure?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast