Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I had this enabled for a while, but it would case to the phone to freeze or reboot almost everytime. It may be different for other people but I would not recommend doing this
    Palm Pre Plus, running webOS 2.1.0 at 1GHz. Palm Pre 2, running webos 2.1.0 at 1.4GHz

In hopes of clearing things up in this thread, there are actually two different built-in virtual keyboards. Descriptions:

1) There's a patch, which does not work in webOS versions after 1.45, that actually creates a virtual keyboard that is not native to webOS. You access it by double-tapping to the right of the notification bar. When you do that, the keys come up over whatever app you're using. It works pretty well.

2) In webOS 2.x, there's a native built-in virtual keyboard that was never intended to actually be used. It was most likely something they were testing and never released, but the code remained. There is a patch to enable it, but it's quite buggy. This is what the code above (VirtualKeyboardEnabled=true .. etc.) is for.

I've tried a few of the app-based on screen keyboards like the ones mentioned (which mostly allow you to type into the app, and then copy and paste into wherever you need the text) and don't think any of them are worth bothering with. I do miss the Virtual Keyboard from 1.45 now that I've doctored to 2.1. That one actually worked.
    I'm curious myself. I noticed the webos-internals patch update progress doc says:
    NOTES: The Virtual Keyboard patch has been discontinued [1], as WebOS 2.0 has a virtual keyboard built in. It can be enabled by adding the string "VirtualKeyboardEnabled=true" to /etc/palm/luna.conf
    source: WebOS Internals 2.0 Patch Status Project

--MGb
    http://www.twitter.com/DeadTechnology - All things geeky (mostly Palm)
    http://www.twitter.com/oneminutecubs - All things Cubs
    Could you possibly let us all know how you doctored the Virtual Keyboard from 1.45 to 2.1? Would be much appreciated by all. Make the instructions simple, please!
    webOS 2.0.1 (Verizon).

I installed "enable virtual keyboard" on my Pre 2 (I suppose thats the patch that just sets "VirtualKeyboardEnabled=true" so you don't have to do it manually. It took me forever to actually get the thing to pop up on my screen. In fact, for the longest time I thought it simply didn't work til today I looked down and saw the virtual keyboard pop'd up on my screen. So I new it worked but had no idea how it popped up. Took me about 2 hours to get it to pop up again.

On the NEW Pre 2s (has the Night Rider Kit Car white visor), you have to tap the gesture area AND the text input area at the same time. But I was only able to get it pop up on the Text Messaging app...and it worked fine. But I couldn't get it to pop up on any other text input area such as tasks, contacts by name, web browsing, etc.

All the documentation says to double tap or duo-tap the gesture area but none of that worked for me. Again, simultaneously tap the gesture area and the 'center' of the text msg input window (not to the left or the right...but the center).

Is this what 'buggy' means? Only pops up on text messaging through a convoluted screen tapping combination?
    I wish there was some way to get the old virtual keyboard to work in 2.x. I used that every day. I could definitely type faster that way.
    I just added the script to the config file and it works for me just as it did on 2.0.1, which is very good. I was bummed when i lost it w/ my vzw update to 2.1, but it works fine for me. no bugs, no crash, no restart.

for me it works by just swipping up in the gesture area and then i close it w/ a back swipe. much easier than the homebrew one for 1.4.5. And it works anytime, even backspace on webpages.
    Quote Originally Posted by thednbselecta View Post
    I just added the script to the config file and it works for me just as it did on 2.0.1, which is very good. I was bummed when i lost it w/ my vzw update to 2.1, but it works fine for me. no bugs, no crash, no restart.

for me it works by just swipping up in the gesture area and then i close it w/ a back swipe. much easier than the homebrew one for 1.4.5. And it works anytime, even backspace on webpages.
    Just wait. It will crash.
    I used webOS doctor 4.2.3, got arthur's luna.conf.patch
    Plug ur pre + in, select just charge, then open webOS doctor (mine is version 4.2.3), select "just charge" then click green plus, find & select luna.conf.patch (mine was of course in downloads, but wherever your default is for downloads), then click install. Viola ladies & gents. Slowly slide from gesture area, a notification sounds & there she is in all her glory! Too bad HP is giving up, I planned on gettin a touchpad & pre 3... Not now. After my pre gets outdated.... goin with Windows Phone... Hope this helps someone... just tried this process on a whim & it workt.
    Mine hasn't crashed yet, been active with it for over a week now... it helps if you muffle system logging in phone app. Set to Minimal...
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Mine is crashing pretty regularly. I can only assume there is a patch that is conflicting. I'm going to try and see what patches I have that touch luna.conf, if any do, as a start...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12