Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ok...so i started a thread to help a cop who came by. it was my first thread in this forum and basically i got eaten alive, told i was a crook, and my thread closed without me getting a chance to respond. The original thread is titled Pre locked with personal pin, police need info inside.

First I would like to say I work for One Stop Wireless in Savannah GA.

<staff edit: info supplied by OP - but deleted in order to keep certain data private.>

The murder investigator's name is <deleted by staff>. I have his number and if you can help i will pm it to you. He indeed came to my store to get help unlocking a Pre. I attemped to give him the number for Sprint Corp Security but he already had obtained the call records from them with his subpoena. He actually needs what was said in the text messages and that is not something Sprint nor Palm can provide.

I did not steal this phone! If i stole the phone I am more than capable of Googling how to hard reset to remove locks.

In my previous thread innocentbystander mentioned the use of "Bypass Lock Screen", but i get the impression that its only used for corp pin request and not personal pin request. I downloaded bypass_pin_webos2.patch and WebOSQuickInstall-4.04 but when i put in /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/app/controllers/pin-assistant.jsjsjs $it$ $errors$ $out$ $like$ $the$ $file$ $doesnt$ $exits$ $on$ $the$ $Pre$.

Guys, I don't even care if you don't tell me how to do it. I just really want to be able to help this cop out. The murder happened right across the street from where me and my family stay, and if you think you can help i can even hook you up directly with the investigator (Im sure there is pay or maybe he can get you out of a trafic ticket or two)

He just came to me because in Savannah I have the rep. for being the almighty phone hacker (which I'm not), but I don't even work on palms (mostly Android and Blackberry). I would just like to give him a good referal to somebody that can help and hopefully keep my rep.

If there are any more questions or info i can provide I would be more than happy to answer.
    <staff edit>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/11/2011 at 06:42 PM. Reason: personal info deleted
    If its a pre (plus) or (minus) just grab the PalmDatabase file .. If its in devmode.. That is.

Edit: if not you may be able to grab it from the file system via command line.. But is beyond me

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  3.    #3  
    @ sketch42 How do you "grab" that file? Do i need a program to view file system?

It is connected to a com port and CDMA WS can read it but it does not give correct pin code. I even tried Bit Pim but could not get it to read file system
    Last edited by csamuels024; 04/11/2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: more info
    Quote Originally Posted by csamuels024 View Post
    @ sketch42 How do you "grab" that file? Do i need a program to view file system?

It is connected to a com port and CDMA WS can read it but it does not give correct pin code. I even tried Bit Pim but could not get it to read file system

Yes and no for the program. You have to root into the phone using Command Prompt in windows or the Terminal in Linux. Though I don't remember what the command is to copy files.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    cd / (press enter)
    rootfs_open -w (press enter)
    cd /var/luna/data/dbdata/(press enter)
    cp PalmDatabase.db3 /media/internal/ (press enter)
    Reboot (press enter)
    wait for your phone to reboot and you should find the file on the usb drive

Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    In case you didn't realize it, the commands given above are linux.
    This Publicly available information should help...

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Getting_started

Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals

Read those and then use the instructions from sketch42... the exact commands will vary slightly if you are not using Linux. Keep in mind that you can use an Ubuntu Live CD without install the OS through virtual box.. although it will run pretty slow.

Easier Route... How To: Back up your Palm Profile Information | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

I am not sure how to access the text message data once you have to db3 file though...

good luck
    "We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes non-work."
    Quote Originally Posted by frankdavis View Post

I am not sure how to access the text message data once you have to db3 file though...

good luck
    http://sqlitebrowser.sourceforge.net/

Man way to go team. We really know how to come together when someone needs help like this. Everyone gets a gold star and a cookie.

------------------------------------------------------
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    <<Staff Note:>>
    The OP supplied the company info along with the detective's info as proof. It was deleted simply to keep that info from being pulled into search engines. Thank you OP - and Thanks to those who are helping him out.
    You could probably also just change the setting of the lock to off after pulling the file.. And then send the file back and reboot..
    And you should be in the phone

Either way keep a copy of the PalmDatabase.db3

Was any of this helpful??

While some of the info is dated to before 2.x, it's useful if the phone isn't a Pre2: http://www.mobileforensicsworld.org/...eForensics.pdf

Some things to note:
    • If you're actually doing this, I'm sure you're aware of forensic procedure. But, obviously, you have to be able to show in a court of law that your efforts didn't add or modify any data on the phone. You have to be very careful that you don't modify any data!
    • If possible, it's far better to obtain the code from the suspect or owner. And the issue of warrants is also something that needs to be considered since the law isn't very clear in most states.
    • Obviously, document and over-document what you do. Again, the chain-of-evidence and chain-of-custody can get a case thrown out on a technicality, and especially for a capital crime, such as murder, it would be a shame to let that happen.

I'd STRONGLY suggest you get in touch with a developer, or possibly even HP/Palm, if you aren't familiar with Linux and the webOS internals. Again, the wrong steps taken can cause evidence, and potentially the entire case, to be thrown out due to suspect evidence.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNeff View Post
    While some of the info is dated to before 2.x, it's useful if the phone isn't a Pre2: http://www.mobileforensicsworld.org/...eForensics.pdf

Some things to note:
    • If you're actually doing this, I'm sure you're aware of forensic procedure. But, obviously, you have to be able to show in a court of law that your efforts didn't add or modify any data on the phone. You have to be very careful that you don't modify any data!
    • If possible, it's far better to obtain the code from the suspect or owner. And the issue of warrants is also something that needs to be considered since the law isn't very clear in most states.
    • Obviously, document and over-document what you do. Again, the chain-of-evidence and chain-of-custody can get a case thrown out on a technicality, and especially for a capital crime, such as murder, it would be a shame to let that happen.

I'd STRONGLY suggest you get in touch with a developer, or possibly even HP/Palm, if you aren't familiar with Linux and the webOS internals. Again, the wrong steps taken can cause evidence, and potentially the entire case, to be thrown out due to suspect evidence.
    Great link!!

*sends email to friend in Savannah to verify info*
    Sorry, been around to long to not be cynical. Plus, he could drive over and help you afterward.
    Last edited by antijingoist; 04/12/2011 at 09:00 AM. Reason: More information
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNeff View Post

Some things to note:

Fantastic link indeed! We should consider making this thread sticky.
    Last edited by sq5; 04/12/2011 at 09:39 AM.
  17.    #17  
    Wow, thanks guys for all you help! I just got to work so im gonna call him to bring it back and give it a try. I will post and let you know the result. You guys are so freaking quick to respond in this forum.
  18.    #18  
    ok, now I have drivers installed. I have sqlite and novaterm. I believe the next step would be to get it into dev mode so novaterm will connect. Is there a way to enable dev mode when there is a pin lock? I am trying this on a Pixi first because i didn't have a Pre on hand and I would hate to experiment on the actual evidence phone.
  19.    #19  
    cd / (press enter)
    Reboot (press enter)

So do i put these commands into terminal in Ubuntu...or are these what you would put into novaterm? Can I accomplish this with Windows?

And if I do use novaterm, how would i get this phone into dev mode with the pin lock in place?

And last question, if i do manage to get the file into the usb drive with above commands...how would I access that file with the pin lock in place?

Sorry for n00bish questions, this is all very new to me.
    cd / (press enter)
    Reboot (press enter)

So do i put these commands into terminal in Ubuntu...or are these what you would put into novaterm? Can I accomplish this with Windows?
    Those commands are what you would put in at the novaterm command prompt. I remember there is a windows version of it you can install and run from a dos window ("novacom" I think?).

And if I do use novaterm, how would i get this phone into dev mode with the pin lock in place?
    Hmmm very good question, I was afraid of that. Can somebody chime in on this one who might know more? Maybe a custom MetaDoctor can be built for the OP to run on the phone to reset the OS but leave the data untouched?

And last question, if i do manage to get the file into the usb drive with above commands...how would I access that file with the pin lock in place?
    You could try to get into USB Drive mode by pressing and holding the orange key/Option + Sym + U after connecting the phone to the computer. This is usually designed to enable USB drive mode if for instance the screen is broken or stops responding to taps.

Sorry for n00bish questions, this is all very new to me.
    No problem, that's why we're here to hopefully help out. Believe me, you seem to already have a much better sense of what's going on than many others would.
    Last edited by sq5; 04/12/2011 at 05:34 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast