1.    #1  
    So the subject line probably gives you a bit of a clue, and I'm sure the attached pic will fill in the rest of the details.

Basically, I had a Pre- with a slightly scratched but otherwise mint screen, and a Pre+ with a cracked screen, and decided to throw caution to the wind and swap the screens around. Mission was accomplished in that I got the Pre- screen in the Plus, and it's running - but in removing the Plus' screen I managed to tear one of its ribbon cables.

My original plan was to reassemble the Pre- with the Plus' (cracked) screen to at least make a functional (if cosmetically damaged) second device. Question is, is this an irretrievable situation? Clearly one can't resolder those tiny tracks, but I did this morning have a hair-brained idea of using sticky tape to tape the two ends together, slightly overlapping, so that the tracks on the two torn ends make contact. It's a perfectly straight tear so (in theory, at least to my mind) if I get them aligned and a decent contact, that should work, no?

Any suggestions would be welcome (other than if you want to make it work, buy a new screen )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Ouch is right. There are some conductive paints that may help perfect your sticky-tape approach but be careful you don't short out the connections.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    I don't think you'll be able to fix it, the conductive lines are really tiny

Good luck tho, you won't lose anything by trying

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    you get a mancard point for your bold move on the screen change
    Search google for "repair torn ribbon cable" there are a ton of options. I've put one here that looks better than most:

Self Trained Computer Wizkid: How to repair broken ribbon cable
  6.    #6  
    Nice resource Unclevanya, that looks a good shout, many thanks. Obviously it could have been worse, I could have mangled the "good" screen rather than the cracked one.
    Why not just put the Pre's comm board into the Pre Plus, then you have a working Pre Plus while you get the screen on the Pre- fixed. And after swapping boards, you probably won't want to go back to your Pre-.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Why not just put the Pre's comm board into the Pre Plus, then you have a working Pre Plus while you get the screen on the Pre- fixed. And after swapping boards, you probably won't want to go back to your Pre-.
    The Pre+ is fine - it's my primary device, and is now running happily with the - screen. I had intended to put the cracked screen on the minus to make a functional backup device, but as you can see, I butchered it in doing so.