Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    In the case of the Palm Pre, for unofficial users it's very easy:
    - unlock your phone using a third-party solution.
    - HP/Palm does not want you to pay for apps - get them any other way you can.

So basically HP/Palm wants you to hack their phone and pirate the apps, or ehrr... not buy their phone at all?
    Can't help but agree with you totally on HP/Palm. I could understand to some extent the myopic views of Palm, which was always a very US centric company. But what I absolutely fail to understand is why HP, a company with worldwide interests and presence, has done nothing to remove the barriers created by Palm for international customers. It's not like HP has not had enough time to get their act in order. After all, it is closing in on almost a year since they took over Palm.

As for pirating apps, not that I am condoning it, but I know couple of people who would normally never indulge in piracy, but who have resorted to finding and installing 'apps' fro mthe internet only because their Pre's have no acces to the app catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    PS> That unlock credit is still here if you want it. (everyone else; no you can't have one as well)
    Thanks again, for the offer. But, it's looking like I might not need the 'credit' after all. AT&T has finally come thru and have emailed my friend the 'unlock code' today. Unfortuantely, to add to the drama, the phone by now is already on it's way to me, following a long journey from Sunnyvale to New York city and finally to Delhi, India. Thus, I will have to wait until the phone get's to me, on wednesday the 20th, to know if the 'unlock code' works fine. Oh.. yes, coincidentally my friend happens to live and work in Sunnyvale,CA the 'home' of the 'Palm Pre'.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Thanks for the assistance GuyFromNam. I've unlocked my Pre Plus today after found a hotspot area.

I'm sorry if I bothered you too much
    Received my 'AT&T Pre +' today and the 'unlock' code provided by AT&T worked fine and the phone is unlocked and working fine with my Vodafone SIM in India. Although unrelated to this thread, I did face a strange issue. SInce my profile was already being used with webOS 2.1.0 on my now dead Pre 2, I thought it best to update the Pre + to webOS 2.1.0 before signing in with my main 'Palm profile'. But, for some strange reason, although my call log, text messages and account information got restored, none of my applications, purchased or free, got restored.

Check the App Catalog if they are still available. Sometimes they wont actually be restored, but if you go into their app page in the catalog, you will be able to download them for free. Unless you mean free apps, in that case, you're probably SOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Check the App Catalog if they are still available. Sometimes they wont actually be restored, but if you go into their app page in the catalog, you will be able to download them for free. Unless you mean free apps, in that case, you're probably SOL.
    Thanks. I was able to access the app catalog and download all my paid apps and also the free apps from there. It's just that it was very inconvenient to have to download each app individually and also then have to re-sort all the apps into various launcher pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Thanks. I was able to access the app catalog and download all my paid apps and also the free apps from there. It's just that it was very inconvenient to have to download each app individually and also then have to re-sort all the apps into various launcher pages.
    Of course, you are using an unsupported webOS version/carrier combination. All the information is in the 2.1 update thread.
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    First post here - thanks to everyone in the forum - gained a lot of info.

Can confirm that AT&T is unlocking the Pre Plus now.

Was at Fry's in Downers Grove, IL on 4/29. Saw them selling the AT&T Pre Plus - no activation/contract required for $99 (yes, no typo!!!). Picked one up. Brand new - not refurb.

Got hold of a friend with iPhone on AT&T - been a customer for 1+ year. Had him call them and say this - "I will be travelling overseas so I need an unlocked phone. Since you won't unlock my iPhone, I picked up a Pre Plus that I need you to unlock."

They told him that they needed the IMEI to verify that they have the unlock code for that specific phone. One day later, the gave him the unlock code.

This is what I did:

1. Inserted AT&T SIM and then turned the Phone on.
    2. Created a Palm Profile.
    3. Made/received phone calls/SMSs and browsed the web to make sure that the phone works.
    4. Turned phone off
    5. Removed the AT&T SIM card and inserted the T-Mobile SIM card.
    6. Turned phone on. Ensured that the phone is in Wireless mode (i.e. not airplane mode)
    7. Got prompted to enter the unlock code. Entered: zzzzzzzz
    8. Unlock code was accepted. Phone said SOS... and then change to T-Mobile on the top left corner.
    9. Made/Rceived calls/SMSs to make sure the phone still worked.

(Important: If "error", start over from (6). You have a maximum of 5 tries before the phone locks itself completely. So, if you continue to get an error for 3 times, stop. Call AT&T again to have them on line when we do it.

Also, If the phone had been activated on a contract with AT&T, then they may not give out the unlock code right away...)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12