Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I want to start by saying I really love my Pre. I have the original Pre and got it on day one. As my two year contract nears an end, I've been exploring possible alternatives - specifically the iPhone and EVO.

For every advantage I might find for a change, I keep coming back to all that I love about the Pre. The biggest hurdle the Pre has to clear is the lack of apps from so many sources. It seems every bank, tv network, supermarket, assorted online national services, etc., offer an app for the iPhone, Droid or Blackberry - but almost never the Pre. I feel left out.

So what's a guy to do come June? Does HP have definitive plans that will bring WebOS more mainstream in the very near future? Will the apps arrive? I'll be making a change or upgrade in June - just can't figure out what to do. Any guidance is appreciated - besides, I'd really miss my touchstones.
    Last edited by limoman; 04/11/2011 at 12:50 PM.
    I would need to buy a power mat for whatever phone I'd switch to just because I would miss the Touchstone so much haha.

I would say wait it out and see what the market does with the Pre3 and the Touchpad. We could see an increase in interest from developers depending on how well those products do after launch. You don’t have to use your upgrade right away and it may be better to wait no matter what you decide to do.
    Depends upon how important specific missing apps are for you.

ATM webos has very low market share. So it's natural that it is not an obvious target for all those institutions.

That will only change with increased market share and that will take a while.

I'm sure HP will sponsor/push for/pay for/help with some high profile apps this year.

With new models and fresh ads some devs will come back or enter webos just for the potential and low competition.
    And overall apps will get into the low 5 figures this year.

But even given that HP will be moderately successful with its push this year I wouldn't expect apps to really take off and get on the radar of most of the companies before next year.

Personally - while I'd appreciate a bigger app market - I'm not missing much.
    What is already available or coming in the official catalog plus preware is good enough for me already. But YMMV and if all those apps out there available for IOS and Android are really important to you than webos is not the right platform for you this year.

But you'll miss the many small things that make webos itself superior. ;-)

p.s. And yeah - the Touchstones are great. Cables are sooo 20th century. :-)
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    could you elaborate on what apps you're missing? Sure ios and android have a ton of apps, but what are you really missing? Especially now that web is continuing to evolve everyday with more and more mobile versions of websites. My bank has iphone and android apps but their mobile website works just great on the pre.

I just can't help but think that this is the worst reason to leave webos. If you had said something about hardware quality of your Pre- being bad and you don't want to leave Sprint, i'd be right with you. To me, the multitasking and Touchstone were enough to stick with betawebos and oreo hatdware.
    I would strongly encourage you to check out a Pre 2 or wait for the Pre 3 to come out, and you can keep your touchstones. Nothing beats webOS, you will keep coming back to it! I know I did!
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I have had 2 Android phones....I've landed here with the Pre.
    Sure there are limited number of Apps for webOS.
    But...............the amount of CRAP APPS in the Android Market is CRAZY!!!!
    Anything that you can think of has an APP......Sounds Great until you have to spend hours wading through all the CRAP just to find something that you can actually use.
    And even then its not guaranteed to work.
    I don't need an App for every single (Hot Women) wallpaper that I put on my phone.
    (Seriously there are literally thousands of these things.)
    I don't need an App to tell me when its time to change my toilet paper roll.
    .....lol.........I'm sure you get the point.
    Numbers amount to nothing when the largest percentage is CRAP.........IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by marclh1992 View Post
    I would strongly encourage you to check out a Pre 2 or wait for the Pre 3 to come out, and you can keep your touchstones. Nothing beats webOS, you will keep coming back to it! I know I did!
    Agreed.
    Just wait until the new HP phones come out. If you've waited this long, you can wait a wee bit longer. iOS and Android are a mess. I don't think I can give up webOS. But you expected that at such a forum
    like OP said, its about feeling left out
    Quote Originally Posted by limoman View Post
    I want to start by saying I really love my Pre. I have the original Pre and got it on day one. As my two year contract nears an end, I've been exploring possible alternatives - specifically the iPhone and EVO.

For every advantage I might find for a change, I keep coming back to all that I love about the Pre. The biggest hurtle the Pre has to clear is the lack of apps from so many sources. It seems every bank, tv network, supermarket, assorted online national services, etc., offer an app for the iPhone, Droid or Blackberry - but almost never the Pre. I feel left out.

So what's a guy to do come June? Does HP have definitive plans that will bring WebOS more mainstream in the very near future? Will the apps arrive? I'll be making a change or upgrade in June - just can't figure out what to do. Any guidance is appreciated - besides, I'd really miss my touchstones.
    What you want are quallity apps and this is what webos gives us not just a bunch of useless junk that really would simply take up space on your phone!!!! It all boils down to what you want at the end of the day and if you really like webos you will not be impressed with an ipodtouch that can also make phone calls and that in a nutshell is what an iphone is. Please don't fall prisoner to all the other brainwashed people in this world!!!!!
    LIVE HARD, PLAY HARDER and KNOW WHEN TO SHUT ONES MOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    the best way to figure out what to do would be to get some time with android (would say both but I'm sure yu have webos) b4 yu buy, me personally.. I have loads of time to play with both and imo android is not bad and I will be gettin a evo 3d this summer
    I'm in the same boat as the OP. My original Sprint contract is up in June and I'm looking at what is available. I don't want to leave Sprint, as I'm happy with my plan. But is the Pre3 coming to Sprint? And will it be another looooong waiting game for its release. I remember the wait for the original Pre. Any solid info on the Pre3 timetable or HP's plans for other webOS phones?
    Take it from someone who went the other way. I was a complete Android ****** until about five weeks ago. I wanted a Pre when they first came out, but Palm decided to delay the UK launch and I went Android.

Fast forward two years and I see that Expansys are selling vintage Pres cheap, so I decide to pick one up for a play. And my jaw dropped as I found WebOS is, frankly, superior to any other mobile OS on the market. I've got an iPad so I'm au fait with iOS too, and - take it from a recent convert - switching to anything currently out there will seem like a retrograde step.
    Quote Originally Posted by limoman View Post
    As my two year contract nears an end, I've been exploring possible alternatives - specifically the iPhone and EVO.
    My suggestion, if you have phone envy, is to forget the EVO. It's already outdated with the new phones that are going to be coming to Sprint soon. The iPhone will soon be outdated as well with the new iPhone that is supposed to come out this summer, so unless you absolutely have to switch now, forget the EVO, and look at iPhone 5, Evo 3D, Pre 3, etc.
    I don't get the "not enough apps" debate with the Pre. There are SO many apps that I cannot even fathom using... Even for the apps that I could use...such as....I would love to have a Chase bank app....but there's always a work around. Truth is it doesn't really take any more work for me to open my launcher and go to chase mobile....So would I like the app? Sure, but there is SO much about this phone that I love....the trade off would not be remotely even if I switched. Trade a couple of fancy new apps for my complete control? No thanks..

My .02.
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    This is how I feel, too (OP). My Verizon Pre has gotten so buggy, and I'm not even due for an upgrade for about six months. The other day it just shut off in the middle of a phone call. Not just drop the call ... the phone TURNED OFF. My double typed/missed letters are back. I don't know if I should change. My husband has a Droid that he LOVES. And, I have many friends with iPhones who LOVE that. Luckily, I have a ton of time to see what comes out.

Don't get me wrong. I really like my Pre. And, I'm no dummy, so I find "work arounds" for the problems that I have had. But, does anyone know if the Pre2 is (considerably) less buggy than the Pre?
    Nicky
    Quote Originally Posted by nsanders View Post
    This is how I feel, too (OP). My Verizon Pre has gotten so buggy, and I'm not even due for an upgrade for about six months. The other day it just shut off in the middle of a phone call. Not just drop the call ... the phone TURNED OFF. My double typed/missed letters are back. I don't know if I should change. My husband has a Droid that he LOVES. And, I have many friends with iPhones who LOVE that. Luckily, I have a ton of time to see what comes out.

Don't get me wrong. I really like my Pre. And, I'm no dummy, so I find "work arounds" for the problems that I have had. But, does anyone know if the Pre2 is (considerably) less buggy than the Pre?
    im running the pre2 on sprint and it rocks and blows the doors off the original pre !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by nsanders View Post

The Pre 2 is like a totally different phone with the WebOS. Speed, keyboard, battery-life, solidness, etc are all so improved. There are still a few bugs in the OS, but if you like WebOS, consider the Pre 2! And no, the Pre+ with 2.1 is NOT comprable to the Pre 2.
    I don't know. I love my Pre, but I've waited 2 years and I still don't have the convenience that I had on my Treo. Yes I'm talking about apps. I use work-a-rounds, but I don't want to face another two years of work-a-rounds. I'm thinking of learning how to develop the apps that I want, but this would take a lot of time and effort on my part. I think the WebOS is the best, I love many of the apps that the WebOS developers have come up with.

I have a replacement for my book reader app(pReader), but no replacement for MyBible, Audible, DTG, Diet & Exercise Assistant, Audible, and quite a few other apps that I used on my Treo on a daily basis.

I love the OS, but I can always come back to it (if I leave).
    Quote Originally Posted by xBRIMSTON3x View Post
    I don't get the "not enough apps" debate with the Pre. There are SO many apps that I cannot even fathom using... Even for the apps that I could use...such as....I would love to have a Chase bank app....but there's always a work around. Truth is it doesn't really take any more work for me to open my launcher and go to chase mobile....So would I like the app? Sure, but there is SO much about this phone that I love....the trade off would not be remotely even if I switched. Trade a couple of fancy new apps for my complete control? No thanks..

My .02.
    the problem is when there isn't a workaround. Sure with the Chase example you can use the mobile site, but that scenario isn't the rule.

for example, it is nearly impossible to simply listen to MLB Audio since MLB no longer supports the Pre. It is impossible to listen/watch the NHL.

At the end of the day it comes down to each user and their priorities. There are many like you and I that value the OS over the inconvenience of not having apps. Unfortunately I think there is a larger number of those who value the apps more.
    Looks like the majority say basically, "it depends on what your needs are." Whatever your decision is, make sure you take into strong account what is available at the moment and not promises/hope of what may be, since all of that may not come to fruition. You don't want to regret your purchase later.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast