Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Me, I love webOS and my original Sprint Pre. We are on the a family plan with Sprint and cannot do anything until the end of June anyways so it is not much of an issue for us because of this. I'm pretty self sufficient (can walk and chew gum at the same time) so I don't really need a lot of apps so the app thing is not much of an issue with me either. I feel that the future looks bright for HP/Palm so I am just chilling now waiting for the summer to roll around.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    the problem is when there isn't a workaround. Sure with the Chase example you can use the mobile site, but that scenario isn't the rule.

for example, it is nearly impossible to simply listen to MLB Audio since MLB no longer supports the Pre. It is impossible to listen/watch the NHL.

At the end of the day it comes down to each user and their priorities. There are many like you and I that value the OS over the inconvenience of not having apps. Unfortunately I think there is a larger number of those who value the apps more.
    Pavvento -
    TuneIn by RadioTime will let you listen to games. I use it to listen to NHL games. It is extremely easy to search for the local broadcast of the game. You can save the stations as a preset for quick access too. Very easy. I did a search for MLB games and those seem to work great as well. Good for music stations as well.

Watching the games does require quite the work around. KalemSoft Media Streamer would need to be running on your home computer that has a tuner card that is fed with cable that has the MLB or NHL games you want to watch. A lot of variables there but it is a solution.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    Looks like the majority say basically, "it depends on what your needs are." Whatever your decision is, make sure you take into strong account what is available at the moment and not promises/hope of what may be, since all of that may not come to fruition. You don't want to regret your purchase later.
    Yes,
    Good advice.

...and if one doesn't, don't blame anyone but our self.
    Just call me Berd.
    I'm in the same boat. My Day one Pre is showing it's age. The screen has a small crack around the charging hole (with missing cover), and parts of plastic around the charging port have started to chip out.

I love WebOS, but the lack of new software updates, a good camera app, and no Sirius app is killing it for me. I'm seriously thinking of jumping ship when the EVO 3D comes out in a month or so.

That being said, I hope HP ramps up WebOS and keeps building it up. It just sucks that the Palm phone, itself, is kinda crap.
    I'm there too with the OP; I'm liking webos after having it for a couple years though I do miss some things about the treo and centro. Mainly the simplicity . I do miss not being able to categorize contacts as I could before. (makes it ez to search contracts by categories or clues in the notes. I'm on my second pre and wondering what to do in Dec. when I'm eligible.
    I was on a day 1 pre until Saturday. I loved the phone and the OS but I made the switch to the Verizon iPhone. I switched because I got tired of the lack of support for the OS, having no idea if Sprint was going to get new WebOS phones, phone was showing it's age, cracked at the charger, really unstable, shut off randomly and the fact that Sprint has 0 phones I am interested in. My sister in law has the EVO, I tried it out and did not like it. Plus if I activated a new phone would have gotten the added $10. With my state employee discount I am paying less now with Verizon than I would have been with Sprint. I could not be happier I made the switch. There is nothing I can add to what has been said about the iPhone. I thought I would miss WebOS, but I really do not. I swipe the bottom of the screen sometimes that is the only time I notice. I am as pleased with Verizon service as I am the phone. It is fast, clear and seems so much better than Sprint.
    I am holding out for the Pre3. Or so I thought. My patience is wearing thin for some kind of acknowledgement. With nothing ready for day 1 owners like myself, I feel like it isn't going to happen now.

And while I can do w/o app madness, there are some things that are starting to eat away at that. First it was google voice. Then it was Amazon Cloud (or any easy streaming media to my phone). There's a photographer's contract app (well, quite a few actually) that are iOS/Android... it could be useful to me soon. Missing out a little on words with friends too But that's a minor point.

And even if the Pre3 were to land tomorrow... I'd be torn because dev relations has not instilled any confidence that we'll see more quality apps. I *DO* feel they will cater more to enterprise as well... which doesn't help me necessarily.

I will sorely miss webOS and my touchstones, but HP's take over and reboot have really hurt it for me.
    My problem with the WebOS app situation isn't the number of apps available. As others have pointed out, the majority of apps for IOS and Android are pointless and/or crap. My problem is that there are a few things I'd like to be able to do that I can't.

On launch day, full MSOffice editing was "coming soon". Still nothing. PDF reader is severely broken. No Netflix. No Kindle. I definitely agree with what you said about dev relations. Honestly, I'd love to see HP reaching more for the enterprise. At least that should get MSOffice and PDF stuff working. If they can pick up some mindshare in the enterprise, that might help draw more consumer app development in as well.

I hope to stay with WebOS. I've even started teaching myself javascript to try building a few apps myself. But in the back of my mind, I'm wondering if 18 months from now, I'll be trying to mod a touchstone coil into my new Android phone.
    This whole talk of WebOS not having its fair share of "Crapps" is a joke. Heres a list that I'm making from the Hottest Apps section (Not including games or work-related tools like DOF calculator):
    Power Nap; Saber Ultimate; Pi Master; United States Air Force; Fuel; Air Horn Ultimate; Star Spangled Banner; National Debt; Paid to Poo (Are you kidding me?); Low Battery; O Canada; NoBAMA Clock; neato!

There are MANY more pieces of crap/pointless apps in the app catalog. I can't even say I own my launch Pre because its been replaced over three times. Now my battery gets drained like its nothing. I've NEVER HAD A SOLID EMAIL LINK. All the time it ends up having a problem with my GMail account when I think I've fixed it. This alone REALLY irks me. I'm going to switch away from WebOS as I'm still sticking with Sprint, hopefully HP can increase marketshare but its incredibly doubtful. HP probably will never make money with this mobile market like it does with servers and other enterprise-ware.

I'm probably getting a Nexus S 4G or the Motorola XPRT next and not looking back. Maybe in another two years, HP will have something on Sprint that I can care about but honestly, I just use my phone for making calls and texting occasionally. Rarely do I mindlessly browse the net/play games in public. My Pre can't even handle making phone calls (Proximity sensor is dead now, I have to press power button before picking up, sometimes that button doesn't even work to turn the screen off). There are great things like the notifications and whatnot but I'm not going to deal with it anymore.
    I share the same sentiments as the original poster. I personally feel like everyone else here that webOS at it's core is the best mobile os out. Unfortunately my Pre is becoming dated both physically along with the app catalog. Don't fool yourself, while there are a lot of low quality apps on both android and iPhone catalogs that bloat the app count to crazy numbers; the killer apps on the iPhone alone make me want to abandon HP.

Nevermind the fact that every industry and their momma develop some sort of iPhone/Android app for everything you can imagine, the games alone are temptation enough...

Order & Chaos Online (World of Warcraft knock off for the iPhone)

Dead Space

Things that are keeping me from making the jump

1. Leaving Sprint and paying a higher monthly and capped data plans via Verizon/AT&T
    2. Tethering (Not much of an issue as I have a usb data card)
    3. The long wait to see if HP is capable of drawing developers to reconsider a failed webOS (by failed I mean market share failure)
    4. By the time Pre 3 reaches the market, the next generation of phones will be hot on it's heels (iPhone 5) HP/Palm's market timing is horrendous. The original Pre and iPhone release dates come to mind.

I just bought another Seidio extended battery and screen protector to help convince myself to stick with it until the Pre 3 but there's no solid release date and like most original Pre purchasers, my contract with Sprint is almost up.

I want to stick with it but it's been a long long wait. If the Pre 3 was released when they said it would (weeks after it's announcement) I'd have been a happy webOS return customer. Now I'm not so sure.
    Neil
    Handspring Visor Deluxe > Treo 600 > Palm Pre > iPhone 4s & Touchpad 32gb
    Exactly, I just bought a $3.96 battery on Amazon to hold me over since I'm travelling to NYC on the 18th and I don't want to be in the city with a dead phone. I was going to get an extended one but since I've seen no real hope for a solid future, I figured its best to "abandon ship". It was fun while it lasted. People these days want bricks and slabs of phones. An average Joe sees a Veer and laughs as his Droid or whatever dwarfs it. HPalm doesn't know how to appeal to the common consumer, and with the Motorolla XPRT offering encryption and whatnot, Sprint will have an "enterprise" worthy phone within regular prices with Android.

As for the sheer number of apps, you'll never say "I wish [Insert company name here] made an app for my phone!" One more thing to note, I don't know if the Pre2 has it but VOICE DIALING... I mean this was a feature in my pre-Pre upgraded Motorola Razr 2 V9M and is in the lowest end Blackberries.

Again, my experience was great with WebOS as an OS. I just could never reccomend it to anybody because of hardware issues and the lack of apps."Does it have Words With Friends?!" "No..."
    Quote Originally Posted by icecubefosho View Post
    Exactly, I just bought a $3.96 battery on Amazon to hold me over since I'm travelling to NYC on the 18th and I don't want to be in the city with a dead phone. I was going to get an extended one but since I've seen no real hope for a solid future, I figured its best to "abandon ship". It was fun while it lasted. People these days want bricks and slabs of phones. An average Joe sees a Veer and laughs as his Droid or whatever dwarfs it. HPalm doesn't know how to appeal to the common consumer, and with the Motorolla XPRT offering encryption and whatnot, Sprint will have an "enterprise" worthy phone within regular prices with Android.

As for the sheer number of apps, you'll never say "I wish [Insert company name here] made an app for my phone!" One more thing to note, I don't know if the Pre2 has it but VOICE DIALING... I mean this was a feature in my pre-Pre upgraded Motorola Razr 2 V9M and is in the lowest end Blackberries.

Again, my experience was great with WebOS as an OS. I just could never reccomend it to anybody because of hardware issues and the lack of apps."Does it have Words With Friends?!" "No..."
    I disagree with the brick phone. I really like the size of the Pre and will miss it when I move to other phones. I'm mainly looking at other phones because I'm leaving sprint due to their new text limitation. So even w/o the apps, I'd have stuck with WebOS because of it's simplicity.

But since I'm leaving Sprint, I make the choice between convenience or the OS that I like. Especially since I can always come back to WebOS if the apps that I feel are crucial to the experience are there. And no games are not a part of it, but productivity and leisure reading and listening are.

I hear the the iPhone has crappy notification. That bother's me, because the notification system in WebOS is truly awesome. Also if the TouchPad has a Quicken App, I'm getting it and I like the touch to share feature.

I'm hoping HP puts out all their stuff before July.
    Well I've moved.

The disappointment of O2 UK not getting the pre 3 and the app developer relations still not being solved (missing sky mobile and BBC iPlayer as well as support for 4od and ITV player) have killed it. I still love the phone and will still be using it as a backup once I have it unlocked but it has really started to show it's age and its limitations.

Moving onto an HTC Desire S (would have gone EVO but no 4g until 2012 at the earliest in the UK said no) and buying out the remainder of my contract.

Also, I finally get to escape the clutches of O2 and their non-existent customer service and poor coverage
    I've had an iPhone, and several Android phones. I've got to admit, Android takes it overall. I'm currently on a Pre+ just as a stop gap whilst I wait for the dual core Androids to filter out.

The thing is, if there were more apps, I would happily stay with my Pre+, maybe even get a Pre2/3.

I don't care about 3D "blockbuster" games (they're seldom any good). But I can't believe there isn't a Kindle App, not even an official eBay or Dropbox app!?

It annoyed me there was no BSB app for Android. But I didn't realise how empty the App Catalog is! It's a real shame.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    I'm teetering on the edge myself. My day 1 Pre is starting to fall apart. The GPS turns itself off constantly, requiring a restart of the phone, and that is now taking nearly five minutes. I have a Sprint replacement plan, but of course they have nothing to give me. And frankly, as much as I love WebOS and the future it might have, I'm not willing to switch carriers for it.

I looked at the Nexus S 4G yesterday, and while it looks pretty good, Android is still no WebOS. But I asked the manager at the location about HPalm phones, and he said the unofficial word was that they aren't getting the Pre3 or the Touchpad.

I'm going to nurse this poor Pre- along as long as possible, but it's my only phone. If it dies before something is announced, I'll have to switch.
    I think the biggest thing for me is that the Pre is almost 100% customizable if you have even a little knowledge of Linux and the Webos structure. The glitches and such are either fixable or it's easy to make a workaround.

For those who just want a phone and don't mind sticking to the stock...everything... Yea, I can see giving other OS's a shot..But for me, moving to another phone would be like voluntarily giving up my freedom.

As far as apps, well...I dunno...I have more apps than I can use.
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    Quote Originally Posted by mkhall View Post

I looked at the Nexus S 4G yesterday, and while it looks pretty good, Android is still no WebOS. But I asked the manager at the location about HPalm phones, and he said the unofficial word was that they aren't getting the Pre3 or the Touchpad.
    I think I'm gonna have to look at a Nexus S 4G. How did the hardware feel compared to the Pre?

Its either the Nexus S 4G or that Motorolla XPRT for my next phone. My bud's Evo is randomly restarting on him now so I don't wanna deal with that stuff again.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12