Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    People who've upgraded: Did you use your original profile and convert it to 2.x?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteWithJme View Post
    People who've upgraded: Did you use your original profile and convert it to 2.x?

Thanks.
    I had to keep my profile at 1.4.5 since it's the last AT&T supports on a Pre Plus :@

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Quote Originally Posted by norayrhajian View Post
    Do you remember what (if anything) you did different the second time using Cygwin?
    Absolutely nothing. All of my commands were the exact same. There might have been a difference in a reboot or something, but who knows.. it worked.

I do know that it still hung up at the end of the Doctoring saying "Cannot reboot - please contact Palm" But I just rebooted the phone manually (before disconnecting and all is fine.. weird.

Thanks.
    Yes, I used my original profile, but I disabled backups prior to upgrading. I lost a few apps along the way, but thats ok... nothing that was vital. and that was likely because I went from Pixi to upgraded 2.1 Pre.
    Ok, so, if webOS Internals didn't change anything, and the Cygwin commands were the same to create doctors, who could we blame?

A Microsoft update, of course!!!!
    My bet is that a recent update btroke everything

So, use Linux
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I doctored a recently purchased second hand Sprint Pre- yesterday, so my original working Pre is still on 1.4.5, though no longer activated.

It's tough to say how much of the performance increase I'm seeing is due to 2.1 and how much is due to wiping my Pre clean (wiped my Palm Profile, etc)-- I haven't done that for more than a year, I'd bet.

Regardless, I'm still in the early stages so it might be too soon to say whether it's a long term (however long till the Pre 3 comes out) solution, but I love it so far. It feels like a brand new phone. It's not 100% hiccup free, but neither was my last install of 1.4.5. Things like just type, exhibition mode, etc. are pretty nice (as a recent Touchstone convert... can't believe I went 21 months without getting into the Touchstone game), but I'll tell you something that's huge for me: the e-mail app is SO much more responsive. I tap an e-mail and it loads. I don't sit there staring at a blank e-mail for several seconds before it loads (sometimes they wouldn't load at all on 1.4.5).

I do have Uberkernal (I'll get 104a installed if battery life becomes an issue) running 500/800 for now, which is what I had in 1.4.5, as well as Preset Reset (I'm used to resetting my phone frequently-- wish I'd known about this app earlier).

So yeah-- I'll report back later if I run into any deal breakers. For how I use my phone, things are great so far. So snappy and responsive compared to

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Ok, so, if webOS Internals didn't change anything, and the Cygwin commands were the same to create doctors, who could we blame?

A Microsoft update, of course!!!!
    My bet is that a recent update btroke everything

So, use Linux
    Yeah I couldn't get either of the 2 Pre's I was tinkering with to complete a successful 2.1 doctoring. Went through the steps to do the same thing in Mac OS 10.6, bingo. First shot it worked.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts

Thanks.
    I used my original profile. Worst case scenario I use a new profile if I go back to 1.4.5 for some reason. Same difference, I have all my data backed up outside of my profile, apps would be the only casualty and I don't have many that I'd need to or want to replace.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    I upped my Pre+ to 2.1 about a month back.
    - The OS seems to have some memory issues which cause my physical ram to fill up and then music stutters
    This is interesting to me, given that the Pre 2 has the same amount of memory. I wonder what the deal is? And the Pre 3 is also slated to have the same amount of memory (though I guess it'll come with a newer version of WebOS).

I have yet to tweak the compache (however you spell that) on mine. We'll see what happens.
  8.    #28  

Thanks.

Yes I have disabled backups and erase backup information from palm profile and after doctoring to v2.1 i have log into my profile, on the palm's site, it's version 1.4.5 but on my phone it's HP webOS 2.1.0

My apps have been reinstalled after login to my profile.

Thank's
    ----------------------------------
    Alain (abellemare44)
    HP Pre3 2.2.4 (ATT 4G 16 Gigs) with BELL in Canada

HP TouchPad 16 Gigs Wifi
    With UberKernel 3.0.4 1,8 Ghz
    Cyanogenmod 7 Alpha 3,5 Android 2.3.7

PS: sorry for the bad english, it's not my native language
    I haven't upgraded yet because I'm in Verizon's extended network right nwo and would be unable to reactivate my data service. I'll probably update the next time I travel into a Verizon primary network coverage area but that might be a while.
    i have upgraded to the 2.1.0 do i need to add the PRL to make the phone run faster?
    my PRL show 31408 and im using Bell
    Last edited by flipmode007; 04/11/2011 at 12:36 PM. Reason: forgot word
    Quote Originally Posted by flipmode007 View Post
    i have upgraded to the 2.1.0 do i need to add the PRL to make the phone run faster?
    my PRL show 31408 and im using Bell
    No...the PRL is about your connection for service...you want to update it, but you can do that post upgrade. Does nothing for the speed of your phone..
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    I havent b/c its April already. Like right now Im about to get my Pre (-) replaced once again, this is going to be my 6th Pre *sigh* and quite frankly Im satisfied enough with getting a new Pre (-) and just over clocking it and holding out till June.. My contract ends in July with Sprint so if they dont have it, I guess I'll have to go to where ever its avail.. Which its looking like Verizon for now. I really dont want to go there b/c I have a 25% discount with Sprint on my bill. I seriously wish that loving this OS wasnt so darn difficult..
    I upgraded my 1.4.5 to 2.1 on Sprint with a test profile & spare device. Once I learned the ropes, I redoctored and logged into my 2.1 profile (Leaving my original device w/ 1.4.5 and with it in airplane mode so I can still use it for my daughter to play games). The new device converted my profile to 2.1 and all the apps fine. I put in Govnah / Kernels / Preware & all the typical. I love the feel of 2.1, but even with my Seidio Extended battery (touchstone modified) I still find it eatting my battery, even with F104A kernel. I used to have 1.4.5 last so long I had to run 3d games at night to kill the battery. Now its at like 50% by 1pm w/ Seidio. I can't image an OEM Battery, but its manageable. I just hope for that Pre3 on Sprint to come out. Either way I am very happy. I have a few errors here and there, but know how to fix them.
    you guys worry so much about battery. Any smart phone will drain the battery now a days. So you want to play games, browse the internet for 2 hours and expect a decrease of 10% every 2 hours wirh heavy usage(media) LMAO. Deal with it. If you want to save battery life, get a flip phone from back in the day
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanCell View Post
    I love the feel of 2.1, but even with my Seidio Extended battery (touchstone modified) I still find it eatting my battery, even with F104A kernel. I used to have 1.4.5 last so long I had to run 3d games at night to kill the battery. Now its at like 50% by 1pm w/ Seidio. I can't image an OEM Battery, but its manageable.
    This is my biggest problem...my battery, even with F104A is terrible. This morning it had a full charge, and within an hour I was down to 80%....and I didn't even use it at that point!

That and the lag in messaging drives me crazy. But overall it does feel different, and I'd really miss exhibition..
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    like i said, i have friends with those powerful androids and their battery drains like crazy while downloading stuff or videos, etc... Such a tiny device n yet people expect too much batt life out of it. I always charge mine and carry an extra battery just in case.
    Quote Originally Posted by rigo0523 View Post
    like i said, i have friends with those powerful androids and their battery drains like crazy while downloading stuff or videos, etc... Such a tiny device n yet people expect too much batt life out of it. I always charge mine and carry an extra battery just in case.
    I'm not complaining as much as comparing it to 1.4.5 vs 2.1, the difference is huge. On 1.4.5 it lasted nearly twice as long it seemed with extended or oem battery.
    i doctored a replacement pre - , initially it just seemed glitchy, pauses, lags, touch input not being recognize on first touch, figured it couldve been the default speed, to got uberkernal and govnah running, not much changed there, but it seems that after several reboots from installing some patches, doesnt pause, lag, and touch repsponses seem better, so no sure if its a defective refurb or not, so may end up going back to 1.4.5 and trying it out on the replacement to see, if the problems are still there, if not will create another doctor and re-doctor so if problem still exist.

and i also will need to activate my old phone to get all my save/restore info off of it as well, the usb port is broken on it, im gonna need to upload it to zumodrive one file at a time, so that should be fun but over all 2.1.0 seems smoother for some reason, not sure why, maybe cause its a "new" phone without scratches, cracks, and chunks missing from it or just perceiption, though i will say its just too plain compared to my tweaked out original pre 1.4.5, once i re-doctor the refurb to 1.4.5, will need try the those kernels my original pre couldnt handle, yea im talking to you SR71
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Carrier: Sprint
    Phone: Pre Plus (with Sprint Comm board)
    WebOS: 2.1

I miss the VZW hotspot version, but Free Tether is working pretty great!
    I miss the Sprint navigation software, but I use it SOOO infrequently that Google Maps works alright for what I'm trying for.
    I *really, really, really* miss the 4x4 icons!!!
    The battery life on 2.1 kinda sucks if you leave WiFi on, or so I've observed.
    Running UberKernel 500/1ghz
    Last edited by rposa; 04/11/2011 at 06:16 PM.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    Thanks guys. Thinking of jumping in.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast