1.    #1  
    I was just sliding open my vzw pre plus and the mechanism felt a little rough for some reason. Didn't think much of it, slid the phone wide open, started "just typing" something and then a small screw fell down the back of the slider and fell on the floor. Its a small screw, my phone seems to be working fine, I'm noticing a bit of an oreo but probably because I'm rocking it. I'm not sure what this screw is for??? Is my phone gonna split in two? Shall I call vzw?

if so, no sure what to do...I just metadoctored to 2.1 and want to keep it. Will I have the phone and my profile back to 1.4.5?

help!

what the heck is that screw???
  2.    #2  
    anyone?
    Is it a small metal screw with a plus sign head or a smaller black screw with a hex key head?
    Is it a silver colored screw? My Pre's missing one of those. I'm glad you found it!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Is it a small metal screw with a plus sign head or a smaller black screw with a hex key head?
    A small metal screw with a plus sign
  6.    #6  
    no one has an idea what this may be?
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    Is it a silver colored screw? My Pre's missing one of those. I'm glad you found it!
    Teleportation comes with 2.1

In response to the screw - no. If you have warranty, take it in. You might even try calling VZW - maybe they will replace it with a Pre2.
    Dan
    There are phillips head screws in the phone - two of them that are used to attach the two parts of the phone together.

Courtesy of webos-internals.org

If your phone is still under warranty, I highly recommend getting it repaired/replaced by your carrier. If it's not under warranty, you could try to do it yourself - you wouldn't have any warranty to worry about voiding.

Either case, this seems like something you should try to fix. My guess is that it's going to become a problem. I should also mention that getting to this part in the disassembly of the Pre- and Pre+ is pretty easy. You'll just have to get yourself a torx t5 screwdriver set. I bought this one from Home Depot. For instructions on doing it, I highly recommend these from webos-internals and @pastorrich.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 04/08/2011 at 07:46 AM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    It most likely will become a problem if not fixed. My wife's pre had one fall out and now the top(screen half) is separated quite a bit from the slider.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    In addition to the wonderful advice and diagram given by mu7efcer.......(If you are brave enough or just like to take things apart to see how they work)......tightening these screws significantly reduces the OREO effect............ONLY DO THIS IF YOU HAVE NO WARRANTY!!!!!
    Removing the T5 screws punctures the Palm Seal........which is ironically enough on the head of one of these screws.
  11.    #11  
    I'm gonna go to the vzw store. Hope they know what to do...last time I had them look at my phone they had no idea how to take out the battery.

thanks for your help! Love precentral.
  12.    #12  
    bah...took it to the store. Guy had no idea where the screw came from. I suggested it was behind the screen. Apparently verizon stores don't open phones to fix hardware. He is sending me a new phone.

I'm a little sad to see this one go. I had my original plus for one yr, but had it replaced after the screen started blotching. The returb that I got has been outstanding with an AWESOME keyboard, no more missed letters. But this screw came out. I am due for an upgrade but holding out for the pre 3.

what should I do now before returning the phone? I metadoctored to 2.1 last weekend. Should I delete backup, doctor back to 1.4.5, full erase the phone and return it, then start from scratch with the new device?
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    I'm gonna go to the vzw store. Hope they know what to do...last time I had them look at my phone they had no idea how to take out the battery.

thanks for your help! Love precentral.
    I would go and get it replaced. I just got a new Pre cause that happened with mine. One fell out didn't think much of it. Then another one a few months later followed by another a couple of weeks later. It got to the point where I think there was one or two screws holding the face plate together. Don't do what I did and get lazy and wait till its almost falling apart to get it fixed.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    Nice you had it replaced, I one of those screws manage to screw (literally) my Telcel Pre by cutting one of the flex cables that go to the LCD... now it won't work properly ... it doesn't see the modem and it locks up hard (I have to buy another cable).
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I would put it back to 1.4.5 just in case, plus you new one will come with 1.4.5. It mostly depends on how you want to deal with it but it is likely easiest to go back to 1.4.5.
    Dan
    Nice to hear you got a new phone based off that. This screw is what causes all the oreo issues in every single phone I've ever seen. Over tightening can cause your slider to stop working, but tightening it just right, always 100% fixes the oreo effect.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I would've told you how to fix it and the image that mu7efcer posted is exactly what I was getting at.
    So wait, you guys have extra screws lying around, and I need just ONE. Would somebody be willing to send it to me?

Yes, seriously
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    So wait, you guys have extra screws lying around, and I need just ONE. Would somebody be willing to send it to me?

Yes, seriously
    PM me I have quite a few

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums