1.    #1  
    So I'm not "Technical" enough to use the right jargon or what-not..but I was asked a question by my IT guy who has a Pre +.

On Windows, you can use a Flash Drive as some sort of virtual RAM, giving additional speed.

Since the Internal drive is kinda like a *fixed* flash drive...is there a way to do this with Webos?
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    You can add swap space in traditional Linux so therefore you should be able to on webOS using a terminal emulator, but the internal memory's lifespan will be reduced drastically because of the constant reading/writing.
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by marclh1992 View Post
    You can add swap space in traditional Linux so therefore you should be able to on webOS using a terminal emulator, but the internal memory's lifespan will be reduced drastically because of the constant reading/writing.
    That's what I thought!

lol..I'll just take from that, that it's not a good idea..
    Isn't this what compcache in the custom kernels does?
    An Iphone walks into a bar with a Palm Pre on it's shoulder. The bartender looks up and says, "Hey, that's pretty cool, where can I get one of those?" and the Palm Pre says "Hipstertown, they're all over the place"
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by badhairguy View Post
    Isn't this what compcache in the custom kernels does?
    I read that as well...but I think what I'm referring to virtually increases the RAM beyond the normal capabilities of the phone....whereas I would think Compcache has a *limit*?
    Compcache compresses a portion of the ram or cache - hence COMP(ressed)CACHE. This is different from placing a swap in the flash storage drive to INCREASE the amount of "Ram" visible to the OS, which the OP is talking about.
    Help keep WebOS homebrew alive! Donate to WebOS Internals!

Sprint Pre Plus - WebOS 2.1.0 - F105 Thunderchief Kernel

Einhorn is Finkel! ... Finkel is Einhorn!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by smknutson View Post
    Compcache compresses a portion of the ram or cache - hence COMP(ressed)CACHE. This is different from placing a swap in the flash storage drive to INCREASE the amount of "Ram" visible to the OS, which the OP is talking about.
    Speaking out of ignorance...based on this it would seem backwards to increase the compcache...if that is an amount of RAM that is taken from the OS..

I have mine, at least the compcache file, set at 64...though Govnah and the F104A kernel seems to limit it to 10. If I "disable" compcache in Govnah, is that bypassing govnah's restriction, or is that literally disabling compcache altogether?