Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've had my Sprint Pre- since launch on June 6th 2009 and have been in love with webOS since day 1. My current Sprint Pre- is holding strong, although it's my 5th device. I lived in San Diego where the Sprint service was excellent, but as of last week have moved to New Hampshire where my coverage is spotty at best. In addition, my work is willing to pay my cell phone bill if I move to Verizon...which I need to do anyways.

It looks like I'll pay the Sprint ETF ($50 I believe?) and head to Verizon.

I can't decide whether to:

a) Buy a Pre+ on ebay/CL for around $80 and "save" my upgrade for when the Pre3 is released
    b) Buy a Pre 2 on contract, which would use my upgrade...and consequently can't get the Pre3

Are there any options that I'm missing? Thanks guys.
    Global Posts
    354 Global Posts
    hold out for a couple of months, HP should announce something soon... Summer is around the corner!
    - Sent from my HTC Evo 3D
  3.    #3  
    So, youre saying "option a"? I like the cut of your jib!
    I would say to get the Pre 2 if you want a phone that will not be outdated quickly. People don't realize that the Pre 2 is a good phone and many issues have been fixed from the Pre +/-.

If you can wait a few months and hold out with a Pre Plus and then upgrade to a Pre 3.

It really depends on how you feel and how patient you are!
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I bought a Pre on Bell Canada the day it came out. I recently got a Pre 2 and I love it. I'm due for an upgrade on Bell but I can wait for the Pre 3 now. My Pre 2 is fantastic and much improved over my original Pre. If you can get a Pre 2, I would recommend it and use the upgrade on a Pre 3. I'm actually going to wait about a month after the Canada release of the 3 (which better come out on Bell) since Bell loves to throw in sale prices on new phones shortly after release. The Atrix went from 199 to 69 bucks on sale after 2 weeks but is now at 169...
    You can get a Pre 2 for FREE on contract, then save your money and buy the Pre 3 off contract when it comes out. After all, your company is going to pay your cell bill now. So put that money back every month and don't worry about upgrades... buy what you want when you want.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    another option is to pick up a ixi plus on the cheap contract free for 53 bucks

Palm Pixi Plus Verizon Cell Phone ~ No Contract:Amazon:Cell Phones & Accessories

then when the pre3 comes out upgrade.

i'm sure you could fenagle your new contract discount to apply in the summer.
  8.    #8  
    I spoke with them, they said I could start a new contract but it would be "month to month" if I began it with a non-subsidized phone. This would allow me to use the upgrade on a Pre3 this summer. Hadn't thought about the Pixi.

Thanks for the advice.
    I have 2 questions...
    1. Can't you unlock your Sprint Pre to use on Verizon?

2. Sprint & Verizon are both cdma carriers and therefore normally share each others towers. So, how is it that Sprint service sucks but Verizon service won't?

Basically, #1 is advice to your problem, #2 is just a thought that is confusing to me.

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    I would go with either the pixi for cheap or find a pre+, OR buy the pre2 on a 1 year agreement, let the pre3 come out get the bugs worked out and then upgrade in a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by prolongexistence View Post
    I have 2 questions...
    1. Can't you unlock your Sprint Pre to use on Verizon?

2. Sprint & Verizon are both cdma carriers and therefore normally share each others towers. So, how is it that Sprint service sucks but Verizon service won't?

Basically, #1 is advice to your problem, #2 is just a thought that is confusing to me.
    RE: #1 - In theory CDMA phones could be moved from carrier to carrier - in reality it's not worth trying. The only carriers that work with this type of move are small and desparate or are merely selling mins (like pageplus). Essentially both Sprint and Verizon have policies that effectively block any phone that isn't in their ESN database which they maintain on all the phones that they have sold - phones not in the database are not able to activate. In theory you can change the ESN but that's NOT PERMITTED by FCC regulation and law. AllTel used to allow other carrier ESNs when the programming on the phone was correct but they were absorbed by Verizon.

RE: #2 - The two do not simply share - there would be no incentive for Sprint to build towers if that were the case. They have roaming agreements that determine which towers are and are not used. There are patches you can use on a Sprint phone to force ROAM mode for voice (1x data) and these work well - but ultimately if you ROAM all the time eventually you may get nagged by Sprint to cease or perhaps lose your contract (without ETF I would expect). As I understand it they are more upset by Data Roaming (using a modified PRL) than voice.
    The usual advice for smartphone buyers these days is to buy what you want when you need it, because if you always wait for the best new phone to come out, you'll never buy a damn thing.

—BUT—

With webOS it's different, because they don't release many phones, and the next one is due out in just a couple of months. So instead of being stuck on a gen-2 phone for the next two years, just pay the $80 for the Pre+ and wait for the Pre 3 and its promotional pricing. Believe me, once you see the pixel density of a WVGA screen, you won't want to go back, and won't it be nice not to be tied to a contract once the gadget-lust hits you?
    If you give SPRINT enough grief they'll provide you an Airave (home cell tower) for nothing, and you can resist jumping and keep your personal phone.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay69 View Post
    If you give SPRINT enough grief they'll provide you an Airave (home cell tower) for nothing, and you can resist jumping and keep your personal phone.
    I moved to New Hampshire to be a sales rep and am the road constantly. I rode with a rep as we drove around the state and I had little or no signal the entire time while he had at minimum a decent 3G signal (I was ecstatic to be decently roaming). I have to go Verizon...not the worst thing. Won a Pre+ on ebay for $60 last night and will be waiting for the Pre3...

...and then Precentral releases photos of a slate-like webOS device...DAMN YOU!!

In all honesty, I'll go with the Pre3 either way for the keyboard. If I didnt need to type so much I'd wait for the Slate though.

Thanks so much guys, I appreciate the advice.
    I think you'll love having a Pre Plus compared to the original Pre. But if you're a sales agent, do you get any sort of discount on your monthly bill? If not it may be a bit cheaper to go with AT&T. AT&T does now offer the same mobile to mobile for any network as long as you have a family plan. Plus they offer unlimited texts vs Verizon's 5000/month. But Verizon does seem to have a more reliable network. Although I haven't been on AT&T for years, all my friends have it and never have any problems with it.
    Just one comment regarding the Pre2. It seems like an excellent phone from a hardware perspective, very fast, solid slider, good keyboard, OK camera, etc.

Problem is, Verizon may or may not end up releasing webOS updates for it... Basically Verizon seems to be pretending that the Pre2 doesn't exist, and only people who know about it and ask for it are getting it. It may take Verizon a long time to approve the 2.1 upgrade, or they may skip it and go to 2.2 (which would be a good think, IMO), or they may never upgrade it... Tough to say whether they'll support what must be a very low volume phone for them. Too bad really, since it's such a big improvement over the Pre+.

My advice? Get a Pre+ from ebay, or a Pixi+ for a couple months off contract, then see how you like the Veer or Pre3.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    Just one comment regarding the Pre2. It seems like an excellent phone from a hardware perspective, very fast, solid slider, good keyboard, OK camera, etc.

Problem is, Verizon may or may not end up releasing webOS updates for it... Basically Verizon seems to be pretending that the Pre2 doesn't exist, and only people who know about it and ask for it are getting it. It may take Verizon a long time to approve the 2.1 upgrade, or they may skip it and go to 2.2 (which would be a good think, IMO), or they may never upgrade it... Tough to say whether they'll support what must be a very low volume phone for them. Too bad really, since it's such a big improvement over the Pre+.

My advice? Get a Pre+ from ebay, or a Pixi+ for a couple months off contract, then see how you like the Veer or Pre3.
    Yep, exactly what I'm doing ! Also, someone mentioned cost of plan...it's not a concern, company is paying for it
    If your coverage is spotty, it is easy to prove, dropped calls, coverage map. And you can get out of ETF, I have done it with minimal effort. The other part of the dilemma is harder. I would go with the Craigslist or Ebay used Pre Plus and wait for the Pre 3.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    If your coverage is spotty, it is easy to prove, dropped calls, coverage map. And you can get out of ETF, I have done it with minimal effort. The other part of the dilemma is harder. I would go with the Craigslist or Ebay used Pre Plus and wait for the Pre 3.
    Wow! Awesome advice, was all ready to pay $50 but I gave them a call, pushed it up one level to an escalation manager and they took it off without much hassle. Thanks!!
    I wouldnt try any weird business....just buy a pre plus on ebay and pre 3 later

THats what I did / am doing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast