Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    +1 For getting a cheap Pixi to hold you over. Since they're so cheap these days I grabbed one off Amazon, and I have to say I actually prefer the form factor to my creaky Pre+. The keyboard is fantastic.
    I had a similar dilemma. I bought a Pixi plus off eBay for less than $60 (brand new). I really love this phone. The keyboard is fantastic.

However, I would love to get my hands on a new Pre Plus. You mentioned one for around $80. Is this new? Where did you find this deal?
    My issue wasn't Sprint coverage, just device lust and RAM frustration. I won a $41 Pre+ on eBay and used it to Plus my Sprint Pre-. (btw, I kept my Sprint keyboard, too, which I highly recommend due to the Verizon Pre+ keyboard issues.)

The resulting device is much less pristine than my Pre- (went cheap on eBay) but I never get the TMC error and the less-aged battery that came with the Plus was a small bonus.

I'm very happy with my FrankenPre Plus and would recommend it as a cheap stop-gap until the Pre 3 comes out.

-Andrew
    Palm history: II, IIIc, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, FrankenPre+, (legit) Pre+ & TouchPad.
    I am in the same position, bought Pre- in 2009, now on my 5th pre, ready to move onto the Pre2 unlocked if I can find it cheap enough, which will hopefully last my until this fall/winter when the Pre3 comes out on Bell, if it comes out on Bell...
    Quote Originally Posted by leebae View Post
    However, I would love to get my hands on a new Pre Plus. You mentioned one for around $80. Is this new? Where did you find this deal?
    I bought one off ebay in really good condition for $70 + $5 for shipping. There are many available, although the price at the moment seems a bit higher than last week. Just keep looking.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    as you've gone with the preplus instead of the pre2, why not get the best of both worlds? put WebOS 2.1 on your preplus. The verizon 2.1 upgrade is by far the cleanest of the US carriers - everything just works. you don't have to delete your profile data before upgrading, you get a proper 2.1 profile, and all the standard verizon carrier apps are there.
    WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals
    As sad as it is, my Pre- is finally dying, can't use Touchstone to charge & the USB port is shot. I'm buying two Pres off of Ebay, that should hold me over until I finally see something on Sprint (I hope). I only pay $69 a month (450 minutes, which I never use up), bet Verizon can't top that.

If I could find a Pre2 cheap, I'd definitely create a FrankenPre.

Can someone explain why Sprint & HP don't want to have a Sprint Pre3? Something would have leaked out by now...
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    I think you'll love having a Pre Plus compared to the original Pre. But if you're a sales agent, do you get any sort of discount on your monthly bill? If not it may be a bit cheaper to go with AT&T. AT&T does now offer the same mobile to mobile for any network as long as you have a family plan. Plus they offer unlimited texts vs Verizon's 5000/month. But Verizon does seem to have a more reliable network. Although I haven't been on AT&T for years, all my friends have it and never have any problems with it.
    Who told you Verizon doesn't have unlimited text? I am on that contract on both my home and work service.

Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    Just one comment regarding the Pre2. It seems like an excellent phone from a hardware perspective, very fast, solid slider, good keyboard, OK camera, etc.

Problem is, Verizon may or may not end up releasing webOS updates for it... Basically Verizon seems to be pretending that the Pre2 doesn't exist, and only people who know about it and ask for it are getting it. It may take Verizon a long time to approve the 2.1 upgrade, or they may skip it and go to 2.2 (which would be a good think, IMO), or they may never upgrade it... Tough to say whether they'll support what must be a very low volume phone for them. Too bad really, since it's such a big improvement over the Pre+.

My advice? Get a Pre+ from ebay, or a Pixi+ for a couple months off contract, then see how you like the Veer or Pre3.
    If what you say is true about 'having to ask', then why does the Pre2 show up as an available phone through the update page? I agree that agents don't push it, but it's not 'hidden.' And as a matter of fact, hasn't there already been one update???
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    as you've gone with the preplus instead of the pre2, why not get the best of both worlds? put WebOS 2.1 on your preplus. The verizon 2.1 upgrade is by far the cleanest of the US carriers - everything just works. you don't have to delete your profile data before upgrading, you get a proper 2.1 profile, and all the standard verizon carrier apps are there.
    WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals
    I agree... I've done this on 3 phones [I have a nice pre- with 2.1.0 on it is anyone's interested...

I'll also offer to do this for anyone for $10... a measly fee to cover my time.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    You can get a Pre 2 for FREE on contract, then save your money and buy the Pre 3 off contract when it comes out. After all, your company is going to pay your cell bill now. So put that money back every month and don't worry about upgrades... buy what you want when you want.
    I agree 100% with pastorrich1
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    Sounds simple dude.

One your paying your Bill now. So 50$ a month roughly. So put aside your bill cost as if you were still paying it.

Buy a Pre2 outright on CreditCard. Pay off everymonth with the amount of your Bill. Then when Pre3 comes out. Upgrade which will be 300$. And keep paying the amount of your Bill towards your creditcard or how ever you pay for it.

Then. Sell your PRE2 for like 200 bucks in the summer to recoup some of the cost.

Or do the Pre+ the same way.

Then put your monthly bill aside every month there after as if you were paying it and keep doing that and you will always have money for a new phone each year.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Ok... if you are on SPRINT like I am; first thing to do is call customer service and tell them you are switching carriers in a month or so (or whenever your "contract" is up) and ask them if there's anything special you need to do in order to port your number.

They will most likely start making offers to you - like 25% off your entire plan for the rest of your life in addition to $100 off on your next bill.

For me, I will be purchasing the Nexus S (with the upgrade discount aka the "with new contract" price), because my Pre- is just killing me with how slow it has become even with the Uberkernel installed (as much as I love WebOS).

My hope is that the Pre 3 will come out within 30 days so I can just return the Nexus S - pay the $35 restocking fee (and whatever price difference) and get the Pre 3 (also with the upgrade discount).

If the Pre3 doesn't come out until June, I may hop to the EVO 3D or the Veer and then to the Pre3 (and just pay 2 x $35 restocking fees). That way I get new hardware and get to check out the hot new Android devices in the meantime.

Honestly, as much as I'm excited about a new Pre handset, if HP doesn't step up the game and get Skype video chat, Netflix streaming, and decent doc viewing/editing I may just stay with one of the Android devices. HP may just be too little too late for me...
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I'm in the same boat. My launch day Pre- is still hanging on...for now. I want to buy the Pre3, particularly if it comes out in June. But if it doesn't come out until the end of summer (like Sept) then I'm thinking about jumping ship to Verizon for the Pre2 simply because I can't wait that long. If I get the Pre2 I could wait for a year or so and get the Pre3 when I have an eligible upgrade. I would like to know when the Pre3 is going to be released so that if I have to go the Pre2 route I can at least get my new contract started so I can get an upgrade earlier.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Seems like a no brainer to me. You get your Verizon contract paid for? Easy call for me to make.

I like Sprint, but not better than free somewhere else.

On the ETF, if you move to a location where you can demonstrate coverage is not acceptable, I think the ETF can be waived, check it out.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    After reading this entire thread it would appear that you chose to go with a Pre + and wait for the Pre 3. Smart choice!!

I have question for the people who suggested that you buy a Pre 2. Does Verizon offer the free Wifi Hotspot feature with the Pre 2?

I have have a Pre + which I use, and a Pixi Plus NIB just in case my Pre+ breaks. I am due for an upgrade but I have decided to wait because I use my Wifi Hotspot almost DAILY. I average about 4GB/month usage, I don't want to waste my upgrade on a "stop-gap" phone when better phones will be out "in the coming months...".

To be honest as much as I love WebOS, I love having a phone with great features MORE. So for me, I am actually looking past the Pre 3 and hoping that HP releases info or specs for a phone that is BETTER than the Pre 3. Right now I have my eye on the 4G Droid Bionic by Motorola. If I don't hear any news of a 4G LTE HP phone by the time the Bionic comes out, than I will jump to Android, and come back when HP has a cellphone that can compete with the best that Motorola and HTC have to offer.
    I couldn't agree with you more complete thought. I have an upgrade ready to go now and am currently getting by with a Pre Plus that is busted and on it's way out. I would like a Pre 2 but Verizon wants a hundred bucks and another two years for it using my upgrade and I am not about to do that for a Phone that should have been the first Pre Plus hardware wise in the first place. Compared to Android hardware available now the Pre 2 is already close to being outdated.

I plan to use my upgrade on the most compelling android based hardware set including 4G within the next month or so. That includes phones with far superior screens size and resolution wise, dual core chipsets, more RAM and the list goes on compared to whatever HP will have to offer. It's absolutely mind-numbing how poorly HP is handling their ownership of webOS. They have a great great OS. Until they wake up and match it great hardware for cell phones it's market penetration will continue to be nil.
    I can understand the frustration with HP's inability to get new hardware out to the market quickly.

However, I would not like the market to be flooded with webOS devices, some of which are sketchy at best. This what it seems like Android does. Every manufacturer has something Android.

I prefer an Apple approach or maybe a hybrid Apple approach. That being release a few devices similar in design. Control the hardware quality. Be unique (nothing unique about Android anymore).

I feel like I am an owner of a unique special device not just what everybody else has.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttremblay View Post
    Won a Pre+ on ebay for $60 last night and will be waiting for the Pre3...
    Activate it, then doctor it to 2.1 with the meta-doctor (look in the WebOS Internals section of the forums here), install Preware on it, and overclock it to 1ghz. Voila! Pre-2 functionality and almost as fast.

Then you can hold out for the Pre3/Slate/whatever.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by rposa View Post
    Activate it, then doctor it to 2.1 with the meta-doctor (look in the WebOS Internals section of the forums here), install Preware on it, and overclock it to 1ghz. Voila! Pre-2 functionality and almost as fast.

Then you can hold out for the Pre3/Slate/whatever.
    This
    My only big grip about the Pre 2 is the lack of auto-focus on the camera, which the Pre 3has. There are so many times I've wanted to snap a shot, but can't get a good pic cause it's all blurry.

I'd recommend option a.

EDIT: NVR mind, looks like you went with Option a... Gratz!
    Last edited by sinime; 04/11/2011 at 02:55 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12