View Poll Results: How many times have you had your Pre replaced?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 - 2

42 24.71%
  • 3 - 4

23 13.53%
  • 5 - 6

20 11.76%
  • 7 - 8

7 4.12%
  • 9 - 10

4 2.35%
  • 11 or more

6 3.53%
  • Still on my original

68 40.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Using my 5th one as I type this. I had some weird issues the other day, my Sprint service would drop and come back at random. Whenever I did anything. Sitting on the touchstone, no problem.

Hoping it breaks again, I'm done with this hardware. Software is awesome, but I'm tired of the hardware...im going to fight for something else...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just waiting from my contract to be up to move to a better phone. I've had way too many problems. I feel like a freakin' programmer now from all the troubleshooting I've had to do foor my Pre.
    Zero! *knock on wood* Lol
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    After my fourth replacement of my Palm Pre, I had to make the switch. Iím the guy who prides him self on by not following the crowd, the iphone was not for me. I still love the webOS operating system, and the good keyboard the pre offered, but the quality of the phone is horrible at best. Im hoping the Palm Pre 3 will be a game changer. I may reconsider getting a Pre 4 after they work out all of the bugs and the quality issue is no longer a factor.

I now have a Samsung Galaxy S. I wonít be the guy to compare two phones that have over 2 years difference in technology and performance. I will just say that I am content with what I have so far going on day 4. I still believe the webOS is the best multitask phone with their use of the cards to navigate from programs; that keeps me hopeful that the next line of Preís still have a chance to compete. HP needs to do something drastic to open the phone up to developers because the average consumer is addicted to apps, the webOS app store is pathetic compared to the competition.
    April 2010 Pre still fine.
    WebOS used to be great! 👎

Pre, Veer and now iPhone. Since HP killed WebOS.
    So I've realized that all the people who've had to replace their devices for physical damage are people who don't take care of their electronics. I've had to replace mine a few times but that's only because my headpiece stopped working.

Other than that my phone was in great condition, a very small oreo effect and that's it.

I had a few friends who have the Pre drop their phone multiple times.

Sprint Love
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    None, october 2009 Pre.
    Once. I thought I broke my AT&T Pre Plus, but I sent it to TopTongueBarry and he said it was fine. So I ended up getting a developer Pre2.
    Let me show you what cynicism looks like.
    Too many since June 09 that I lost count.... Haha but honestly somehwere around 6-8. The newest one I got seems to be holding up pretty decent. There is a crack developing in the top left corner though :/..
    I've had my Pre- replaced 3 times.

Once because the phone actually messed up. The other two times I lost them.
    Global Posts
    354 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    So I've realized that all the people who've had to replace their devices for physical damage are people who don't take care of their electronics. I've had to replace mine a few times but that's only because my headpiece stopped working.

Other than that my phone was in great condition, a very small oreo effect and that's it.

My wife's just got her 9th a few days ago and it seems to be holding up, I'll keep my fingers crossed. Most of the issues have been with audio: the speaker, mic and volume buttons... number 8 was dropping calls also
    - Sent from my HTC Evo 3D
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I replaced my Pre once back in June of 2009. It's still holding up, but I'm not sure for how much longer. Hopefully it will work at least until Sprint gets a new WebOS phone.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    1st, brand new - lasted one day, stuck on airplane mode.
    2nd, brand new - Oreo. lasted 6 mo, volume rocker not working, burned out gesture button.
    3rd, refurb - No oreo, lasted 6 mo, the phone would power off if i opened the slider. Loose ribbon cable according to Sprint tech.
    4th, refurb - lasted a week, keyboard stopped working altogether. No oreo.
    5th, refurb - current phone, slight oreo (sigh)

Common weak points, which is no surprise to anyone, are usb cover breaking off, area around the usb cover developing cracks, which then chip off, hairline cracks in the top plastic area around the corners, touchstone cover feeling loose (I guess that's just due to age).... Pre is just a crappy phone in terms of hardware.
    Bought my Pre Original the day it came out and embarrassed to say that I am on Pre number 13 according to Sprints systems. I am rough on my phone and my kids don't help!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post

Ooooor, maybe they got a couple of bad refurbs *me*

I've been having issues with my phone re-attaching itself to the sprint network after coming out of roaming...

Seven for me. Although the last one wasn't done by the carrier. It was done by me. My last pre- was falling apart. So I bought a pre plus off ebay and did a little fronk-in-shteening on it. I included that in the count because I thought it kept with the spirit of the question. (E.g. how many times did you have a problem w/your pre that required you to replace it?)

Reasons (that I can remember for replacement)
    1. Oreo
    2. Failed volume up button
    3. Screen bleed (light)
    4. Don't remember
    5. Audio squeek - very wierd problem: certain frequencies would cause a loud high pitched squeek through both the speaker and headphones.
    6. Screen delamination. The pre I got after this issue lasted the longer than all the rest combined - about 18 mos.
    7. Power button failure, cracked USB, the ghastly headset - ebay purchase of pre plus.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 04/17/2011 at 08:25 PM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    I'm on my 6th Pre =/
    Unfortunately, my third Pre Plus replacement failed me last week. This time, the radio wouldn't communicate to the mothership as neither phone calls, text messaging nor internet could be accessed.

Sadly to say that this was the final straw (for now) and I am now an HTC Thunderbolt owner. I needed to have the phone replaced that day and the Verizon stores in my immediate area didn't have a Pre Plus in stock.

My original Pre Plus had an issue with the keyboard backlight and the second had some sort of ROM and touchscreen problem.

Being a long-term Palm user (still have my original Palm III and Handsrping devices), I love WebOS and will go back when HP "gets it right"... HP, please do that.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Bought at the same time, same store. I've been on my Palm Pre Plus Since May 2010, he had to replace his 5 times (including one refurb that didn't work out of the box).

1. Display full of unintelligible vertical lines
    2. 1st refurb came broken - volume up didn't work
    3. Power button stopped working / went dead
    4. Volume button went bad
    5. Power button stopped working / went dead

Love the OS - hope HP brings better hardware engineers.

After the 5th time, sadly had to convince support to replace it. Couldn't bear to risk another refurb. Now son has an HTC Incredible. I'm still on 1.4.5. Where's my 2.1???
    still on my first one from 8/9/09 only had the power button replaced and cut out the usb door for easier access to the socket but still going strong, luckily enough
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast