1.    #1  
    So I dropped my Pre minus on concrete and cracked the touchscreen. Everything seems to work fine I can make calls from my bluetooth car, I can receive calls and texts, etc...... except I can't use the touchscreen. I have some data that I don't think I backed up - plus the whole calling Sprint and re-installing everything which I've done 3 or 4 times before. If I buy a used Pre can I transplant everything into the new body?
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    They can probably port your Contacts. If you have items on the USB drive; plug into your computer and press Orange(Option) + Sym + U to activate USB drive mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by landford View Post
    So I dropped my Pre minus on concrete and cracked the touchscreen. Everything seems to work fine I can make calls from my bluetooth car, I can receive calls and texts, etc...... except I can't use the touchscreen. I have some data that I don't think I backed up - plus the whole calling Sprint and re-installing everything which I've done 3 or 4 times before. If I buy a used Pre can I transplant everything into the new body?
    You can transplant everything, but you need to take care while doing it or you may cause other issues. You'd need to transplant at least the memory board and the comm board to not require doing any meta-doctoring work.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks, abbsotutely, this makes me very happy. Are there instructions somewhere? I opened it and saw the guts screwed in; I assume I would remove most of everything and just re-place into the other one that has the working screen - I'm fairly handy - so you think it's very difficult to do?

Thanks again-
    Tom
    Check out the iFixit Teardown (the memory board is shown in Step 18 as the "logic board"), the WebOS Internals Creating a Sprint Pre 2 (this has really good pictures of the initial portion of the disassembly), and possible issue to try to avoid during reassembly.

If you're very handy with tiny electronics then it isn't that bad. Looking at the iFixit should give you an idea of how difficult it is and whether or not you can handle it. Just take your time doing it and make sure you keep track of every screw and cable.

When disassembling, the first difficult area is separating the back bezel (step #6 in the Webos Internals picture guide) and the second difficult area is to make sure you don't tear the volume ribbon cable (step #8-#9).

When reassembling, make sure to get good contact for the antenna when you move over the memory/logic board (see the third thread link for pictures) and then to make sure you pull out the battery pull tab before screwing on the back plate (step #14 in the Webos Internals picture guide).
  6.    #6  
    THANK YOU!!!! - I'll let you know how it turns out
  7.    #7  
    I just found a phone for cheap with a bad ESN - that should work fine right??
    As long as the screen is fine, it'll work fine. You could even switch over to a Pre Plus screen if you want to eliminate the physical button on the front.
    This is slightly OT, but per the iFixit documentation, is there any written or visual documentation on how to complete the back separation from the AT&T Pre Plus? I'm striking out.

I literally got as far as the screws, then peeled back the antenna connection area only to notice it's completely different than the Verizon & Sprint versions. Also, what is the best way to separate the volume rocker?

Thanks, and even if you just have a redirect for me, that's ok. I'm at the office & my searches have been very crude & far from thorough.

Cheers,

JSJSJS

***Ok, sorry, per your Pre 2 link, I get the rocker part. My only concern is the antenna/gps cords.***
    Last edited by steffej3; 04/07/2011 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Found some...
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    This is slightly OT, but per the iFixit documentation, is there any written or visual documentation on how to complete the back separation from the AT&T Pre Plus? I'm striking out.

I literally got as far as the screws, then peeled back the antenna connection area only to notice it's completely different than the Verizon & Sprint versions. Also, what is the best way to separate the volume rocker?

Thanks, and even if you just have a redirect for me, that's ok. I'm at the office & my searches have been very crude & far from thorough.

Cheers,

JSJSJS

***Ok, sorry, per your Pre 2 link, I get the rocker part. My only concern is the antenna/gps cords.***
    The GSM antenna/GPS cords are just slightly longer than the corresponding ones on a CDMA version. You can pop them off to be able to completely remove that back bezel. Or you can leave them connected and just disconnect the comm board from the back to allow you to move the back bezel and the comm board as one unit.