1.    #1  
    i really hate to make a thread over this (groan...another dumb issue!), but really i haven't found a way to fix it.

basically i did the WebOS 2.1 upgrade on a Verizon Pre+ using Cygwin, ran fine. booted up, HP logo, all that good stuff. there WAS a final error indicating "flash failed" (didn't record the error), but when i disconnected from USB it booted into 2.1 no problem, reinstalled apps, resynced everything, imported my contacts...phone works fine (it displays EV instead of 3G now, but who cares about that?)...really everything is peachy. i can download apps from the standard store.

it won't let me update preware feeds....here's what it's saying:

unable to run command: /user/bin/ipkg -o /media/cryptofs/apps update 2>&1
    Downloading
    <feed address>Packages.gz,sh: wget: Permission denied,An error occurred,
    return value: 1., Collected errors:,ipkg_download:ERROR:
    command failed with return value 126:
    'wget --passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipkg-xSc7TM

i disabled all of the other feeds except webos patches so i could get a better view of what was happening since it was showing me like, every single feed giving the same error.

tried it on the regular network and wifi. tried dev mode off, dev mode on. any ideas? i may try to doctor it again, but i'd rather find out if i can just use quick installer to satisfy some kind of dependency or a terminal to change permissions somewhere.
    have you tried reinstalling preware?
  3.    #3  
    four times...also with different downloads just in case one was corrupt
  4.    #4  
    there's no pre-requisites anymore to installing preware is there? i think you used to have to install several packages in order to make it work, but it was unified into a single installer. is this correct? i used this file alone to handle the installs

PrewareInstaller-1.5.0.exe

also...is it necessary to have the SDK installed or anything? i have novacom installed so i didn't think anything else was required. plus it said the install was successful, so i figured it would have let me know if it couldn't make proper modifications in order to be used.
    hmm not sure maybe post your question in the preware thread or the 2.1 update thread you might get rod to respond and give you the solution. I thought there was a thread about that though.
  6.    #6  
    yeah...really sorry to post kind of haphazardly. I noticed an abundance of questions involving issues in this area and thought it was an ok place. i did look for a thread about this, but the person was having some different issues. i'll go see about posting elsewhere, thanks for your time ^_^
    the latest preware I believe is 1.5.7 my only suggestion would be to uninstall preware fully restart pre and then use webosqi to reinstall preware. I haven't experienced what you are experiencing. I had a problem with the first use doctore and I just did a partial erase and fixed that problem. You could try that but other than uninstalling rebooting and reinstalling I am not sure what to tell you.

How are you trying to install preware?
  8.    #8  
    hey..not to sound too asinine..but where is the 2.1 or preware thread? i'm very bad at forum navigation (never got the swing of it, prefer IRC). when i go to forums all i see is hardware-related forums, general discussion, and whatnot. vague things, nothing specific. i'm still looking but i've been at this problem since 11am lol it's 12:25am now
  9.    #9  
    ok i'll go try that ^_^ thanks! i fear i may end up re-doctoring...which isn't a problem, but the app reinstall process takes a year and a day at 500mhz ; p
    yes I feel your pain. What I do when I doctor is to open up app catalog and pause all downloads. Now is your pre still installing app catalog programs when you are trying to install?
  11.    #11  
    yeah the catalog works fine, which makes it doubly frustrating preware is the ONLY thing not functioning lol

the phone just got done rebooting, let's see what happens. interestingly enough it says "no device is connected" in QI. gonna go toy with this...

*edit* think i forgot to turn dev mode back on ; p that's prob an issue haha
  12.    #12  
    yeah command failed again. gonna rebuild the 2.1 doctor and try again before i repost as you suggested (want to make sure all bases have been covered)
    Quote Originally Posted by doodoostickstain View Post
    there's no pre-requisites anymore to installing preware is there? i think you used to have to install several packages in order to make it work, but it was unified into a single installer. is this correct? i used this file alone to handle the installs

PrewareInstaller-1.5.0.exe

also...is it necessary to have the SDK installed or anything? i have novacom installed so i didn't think anything else was required. plus it said the install was successful, so i figured it would have let me know if it couldn't make proper modifications in order to be used.
    Where did you get the prewareInstaller-1.5.0exe?
    Quote Originally Posted by marksj View Post
    Where did you get the prewareInstaller-1.5.0exe?
    Nevermind found it.Duhh just gotta look
    Hi, did you ever get an answer to your problem? It's happening to me too... driving me crazy. I looked around to see if you had reposted elsewhere but couldn't find it.
  16.    #16  
    nope. still looking for a solution. rebuilding and doctoring twice more didn't help, though the first retry left my device hanging with a spinning "loading" screen and an image of clouds

do you get any flash errors when you doctor? mine simply states it could not restart the system, but when i disconnect it and pull the battery it boots just fine.
    yeah i always get an error at 82%, verifying ROM. but i read, i think in the official 2.1 upgrade thread that it's a harmless md cheksum error. like you, I pop the battery out and it boots up ok.

it did not go easily for me though... doctored a crazy number of times before everything finally logged in, downloaded apps, etc. so i'm very hesitant to redoctor for fear that it will take me another several days to get the crazy thing working again.