Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stilger View Post
    I am also thinking of going back to 1.4.5. I have a Pre Plus (AT&T) and have been running 2.1.0 for a about 2 weeks with Uberkernel. I like a lot of the new features but overall I think the phone is slower, the sms app is flaky and I do not think the phone is as a whole as reliable. I was really hoping that 2.1.0 would be as good or better then 1.4.5 but imho it is not.

On a side note. The process for upgrading to 2.1.0 and the effort and work put in by Rod and the whole team is awesome.

I do think on the right hardware (Pre2 or better) 2.1.0 would be very nice if the sms flakiness could be fixed.
    FYI - I doctored back to 1.4.5 after stopping backups and my paid apps came back fine. I miss a couple things from 2.1.0 but overall im glad to have a phone that is stable and does not lag on me.
    I have a sprint Pre- running 2.1 and was about to go back to 1.4.5 but I tried the F104a starfighter in the testing feeds and my phone is better. I am running the default F104a profile in Govnah. My main issue with 2.1 running UberKernel was reduced battery life, lag and audio streaming(drPodder). I am still not 100% sure if the streaming is fixed but I am going to test for awhile.
    FYI my Pre- would not run the SR71 1.2 kernel it would get stuck in boot loop. No problem with F104a @ 1.1... Hope this helps someone else out also.
    burn? i highly doubt it. if my phone ere drfective, it wouldnt have accepted SR71. just some of u have pres with pink underwear. i can asure you that one year can pass n ill still have 1.2ghz strong on this phone. its not as bad as i thought. battery is from 30 to 41 C

Quote Originally Posted by shabby71 View Post
    And you will probably end up burning up your phone befor I do!! LMAO
    Quote Originally Posted by rigo0523 View Post
    burn? i highly doubt it. if my phone ere drfective, it wouldnt have accepted SR71. just some of u have pres with pink underwear. i can asure you that one year can pass n ill still have 1.2ghz strong on this phone. its not as bad as i thought. battery is from 30 to 41 C
    I think I'm stickin with 1.0GHZ, I can't take the risk. But I wanted to ask you, are you having any issues with the photo app? Meaning you snap a pic, but it doesn't appear in the "Photo Roll" location? Also, are you having issues with the avatars in the messaging app? The photo's that I assign to contacts show up very awkward in the contact avatar
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flak1969 View Post
    I have a sprint Pre- running 2.1 and was about to go back to 1.4.5 but I tried the F104a starfighter in the testing feeds and my phone is better. I am running the default F104a profile in Govnah. My main issue with 2.1 running UberKernel was reduced battery life, lag and audio streaming(drPodder). I am still not 100% sure if the streaming is fixed but I am going to test for awhile.
    FYI my Pre- would not run the SR71 1.2 kernel it would get stuck in boot loop. No problem with F104a @ 1.1... Hope this helps someone else out also.
    I've been having the same problems as you. I'll try F104a kernel, but if that doesn't improve things, I'm going back to 1.4.5

I hope it works out.
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by veelo2 View Post
    I've been having the same problems as you. I'll try F104a kernel, but if that doesn't improve things, I'm going back to 1.4.5

I hope it works out.
    Honestly going back to 1.4.5 has made the phone run way smoother than 2.1 ever did for me i.e apps opening, scrolling through my contacts, scrolling through my launcher pages just to name a few. I may some day try the switch again but for now I will stick with 1.4.5 (PALM LOGO)!!!!
    LIVE HARD, PLAY HARDER and KNOW WHEN TO SHUT ONES MOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Honestly going back to 1.4.5 has made the phone run way smoother than 2.1 ever did for me i.e apps opening, scrolling through my contacts, scrolling through my launcher pages just to name a few. I may some day try the switch again but for now I will stick with 1.4.5 (PALM LOGO)!!!!
    I'm pretty close to switching back, but I figure I'll give this kernel a shot. May as well, after all the work it took to get it doctored to 2.1 in the first place.
    Just wanted to share..

I have had MAJOR lag issues with 2.1....and was VERY close to going back, as I mentioned above I think...

BUT...yesterday morning I decided to try the one kernel I hadn't tried yet...F104A Starfighter...

..AND I removed ALL patches, and started installing them one by one...specifically just the ones I can't live without. Since then it has been SO zippy...no lag....crazy.

So I'm back on board for now. I also got the reboot scheduler...set it to reboot every night just to clear any crap going on.

So yea...try that kernel if you can..
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    So I'm on Bell Canada, If I switch to Pre2 on rogers but then decide I want to go back to my pre, I can't cause I won't be allowed to go back to 1.4.5?. Even if its fully legal?.
    Not true. A handfull of people have had trouble going back to their 1.4.5 profile from the custom, meta-doctored build of 2.1. I have gone back and forth from 1.4.5 to 2.1 a couple times on my Sprint Pre and have had no issues. You should theoretically have zero issues in your situtation. The only problems a few people had were with using software on devices they were not supposed to.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flak1969 View Post
    So far, F104a Starfighter has solved all my problems with 2.1. Night and day difference - it's stable, battery life is back to normal, and no slowdown with any of the music apps.

Anyone considering downgrading back to 1.4.5 should definitely try this kernel first.
    Quote Originally Posted by veelo2 View Post
    So far, F104a Starfighter has solved all my problems with 2.1. Night and day difference - it's stable, battery life is back to normal, and no slowdown with any of the music apps.

Anyone considering downgrading back to 1.4.5 should definitely try this kernel first.

Quote Originally Posted by xBRIMSTON3x View Post
    Just wanted to share..

I have had MAJOR lag issues with 2.1....and was VERY close to going back, as I mentioned above I think...

BUT...yesterday morning I decided to try the one kernel I hadn't tried yet...F104A Starfighter...

..AND I removed ALL patches, and started installing them one by one...specifically just the ones I can't live without. Since then it has been SO zippy...no lag....crazy.

So I'm back on board for now. I also got the reboot scheduler...set it to reboot every night just to clear any crap going on.

So yea...try that kernel if you can..

That's two votes for that kernel....can't wait til it's stable!
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    2.1 was fun on my Sprint pre- I installed 2.1 on March 19 2011, But as of 2 days ago I am getting horrible lag that ends up locking up the phone. I would watch Govnah and my swap memory would start to sky rocket to about 120mb. Keep in mind that I kept the comp cache at 64mb. Even when I would completely disable the comp cache my swap memory would just blow up in about 30 mins of the phone being on! My suspicions were mby the phone was trying to pull down all my Facebook contact photos. I deleted my FB contacts and still the swap would exceed 100mb. Next I tried deleting all my audio off of the pre (I have heard people talk about a memory leak related to the audio) I still got the same result. I am currently doctoring down to 1.4.5 I backed up my data and turned off backups. If any one else was experiencing this problem lately please chime in.

2.1 on the pre- worked fine until now, with uberkernel running at 500/1000 Screen state.

Downgrade is complete. Currently it is installing my apps from the app catalog & pulling down contacts from google & FB.
    Last edited by balistic2; 04/07/2011 at 10:02 PM.
    I switched from UberKernel to F104A Starfighter this afternoon and I did notice a difference in speed in comparison to uberkernel. I have it set to 500/1.1 and its moving very swiftly.
    yep f104a kernel did wonders on my phone. its now usable in 2.1 =)
    Camera Fun! & Face Morpher
    My babies =)
    Funny...also tried the 1.2ghz overclocking...didn't work on my Pre-, which is a bummer. Either way, 1.05ghz is pretty stable and helps make 2.1 usable. Without it, would even try...okay will I tried, but it didn't work that well.

Wonder if anyone running 2.1 has been able to slimdown the build to increase performance. I guess it is possible to remove stuff not being used using Meta Doctor, but the only thing I can think of that I don't need is the Auto Search Engine adder that pops up constantly. Don't think that is working too will since CNET search engine tries to add every time I'm on their website. Sorli...
    I wanted to drop a message and let everyone know about my 2.1 Rebuild...that went perfectly and looks like it has saved the day keeping me from switching back to 1.4.5.

I took the initiative this afternoon to redo my Sprint Pre- 2.1 build and updated Meta Doctor config files per webOS Internals instructions to add WIFI pre-config so my profiles and data would reinstall properly out-the-gate. It actually worked and all the thanks goes to webOS Internal and Precentral.net (forum) for the great info and suggestions. The primary things that I changed for my new 2.1 config were:

• Meta Doctor - config changes to add WIFI, Preware Auto Install, etc
    • Backup Delete - per webOS Internals and disabled (did this before, but made sure just in case pictures were being saved or registered)
    • Purged USB Storage - internal device Purge USB Storage - to remove photos that were conflicting and causing camera to error

The Meta Doctor config file update fixed half of my problems not having great cell coverage from home and provided instructions copying my WIFI configuration file (prefsDB.sl) from my old 2.1 installation that allowed using my local router and WIFI connection to download initial profile data, apps, and misc.

WOW, what a difference that made...

My profile reinstalled Perfectly and without problem. Not sure if deleting the USB Storage before reinstalling my new 2.1 configuration fixed my camera problems, but either way it is now working. I can take pictures again and save them to the normal location without lockup error or otherwise. Presently downloading my apps via WIFI and reinstall F105 and Save/Restore to reset some of my lost configurations and data.

Figured someone out there was also thinking about retrying their 2.1 build and would be interested in what I did. Maybe worth a shot and it worked for me. Sorli...
    I am with Bell so where would I go to find the latest doctor for 1.4.5 for Bell??
    go to palm.com the updates are there if you want to upgrade to 1.4.5.
  18. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Has anyone else gone back to 1.4.5 after trying out 2.x. If so what exactly do you do? Do you just use the doctor that is downloaded when you install quickinstall or is it another doctor? When I first went to 2.x I thought everything was great but as of late(the past few days) I hae been having problems with data connection working when it wants for instance can't get onto facebook with data connection then the next day I can. I can get onto the app catalogue but I can't download an app from there when using my data connection and all in all I don't really find the phone that much faster with the 2.x overclocked compared to the 1.4.5 overclocked. Does anyone else have thse types of issues????
    The issue with not being able to download from the app catalog when on cell data is NOT related to 2.1. I'm still on 1.4.5 with Bell and am having the same issue. There is another thread about this (I'll try to find later) but the issue is definitely with Bell and not with 1.4.5 vs 2.1. Everything works flawlessly on Wifi.

Update: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...wnloading.html
    Last edited by Vij; 04/11/2011 at 11:31 PM. Reason: added link
    Just an update F104a is keeping me on 2.1 on my Sprint Pre-.
    Try it before going back to 1.4.5 I think you will be happy.
    I have 2.1 on my Sprint Pre -(Overclocked). I'm gonna go back. When it works it works great with all sorts of great enhancements but when it starts lagging and studdering you might as well decide not to use your phone for the next 3 or 4 minutes (or pull the battery). Of course thats when you need it the most.
    Last edited by casiouser; 04/14/2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: added overclocked
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast