Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    Hi guys,

    First post here but I've been watching over you all from the backseat

    Long story short: I think I might be buying a Pre tomorrow to use on O2-UK.

    I first had the Pre when it launched in October ’09 here in the UK but shortly sold it to go to the iPhone (3GS). I didn't want to wait for Palm to fix the battery issues and the lack of apps was quite poor back then.

    2 years on, HP have now bought Palm and I'm still in love with webOS and I see a big future for it and I want to get back to the OS that I think is far superior to anything I've used (and I've used them all (bar Windows Phone 7))

    I do have a couple of questions though:

    1) How does the Pre hold up nowadays?
    I know it's pretty old hardware, things have moved on, but if anyone still has one, is it usable? Hangups? Slow downs? Freezes?

    I am coming from an iPhone 3GS so I understand the hardware isn't as fast, etc, but have Palm optimised webOS for the Pre?

    2) Battery
    This is probably the main reason why I gave back the phone. It probably lasted on average, 6 hours or so. I'm not sure but I was taken back by it.

    3) OTA Updates
    Having said all of the above, and that the Pre³ and other much faster webOS devices are looming, will the Pre still get some love with 3.0? 2.x updates? I understand 2.1 is the latest.

    Many thanks guys.
  2. #2  
    You can't get a Pre 2? Majority of the issues you've faced on your old Pre are better or fixed on that. They have optimised it a bit with the OTA updates, but you won't get webOS 2.x on it, and 2.x is where the future is heading. The Pre 2 is the only already released device getting 3.x when it is ready, the Pre minus has been completely abandoned (apart from homebrew solutions) and the Pre Plus has been partially abandoned.

    Id say, lash out the extra money for the new Pre 2, and your phone will last much longer than the nearly 3 year old phone that (hardware wise) was out of date even at release...

    Alternatively, wait, and get a Veer or a Pre 3.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    You can't get a Pre 2? Majority of the issues you've faced on your old Pre are better or fixed on that. They have optimised it a bit with the OTA updates, but you won't get webOS 2.x on it, and 2.x is where the future is heading. The Pre 2 is the only already released device getting 3.x when it is ready, the Pre minus has been completely abandoned (apart from homebrew solutions) and the Pre Plus has been partially abandoned.

    Id say, lash out the extra money for the new Pre 2, and your phone will last much longer than the nearly 3 year old phone that (hardware wise) was out of date even at release...

    Alternatively, wait, and get a Veer or a Pre 3.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I'd have to agree, get the Pre 2 (MANY issues have been fixed from Pre +/-) or wait for the Pre 3. If you can, just get both!
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    You can't get a Pre 2?
    The thinking behind getting a Pre was it'd be a cheap phone to run 2.x on... BUT!

    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    ... you won't get webOS 2.x on it
    Nail in the coffin for this idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    Id say, lash out the extra money for the new Pre 2 ...
    Too expensive for my first point. The Pre 2 is going for roughly ~£299-350 on eBay. Ouch.

    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    Alternatively, wait, and get a Veer or a Pre 3.
    I think I will just wait then. I will most likely get the Pre 3 or whatever they come out with.

    I just want to come back to webOS and ditch my iPhone 3GS!

    Thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by gauravity View Post
    The thinking behind getting a Pre was it'd be a cheap phone to run 2.x on... BUT!


    Nail in the coffin for this idea.


    Too expensive for my first point. The Pre 2 is going for roughly ~£299-350 on eBay. Ouch.


    I think I will just wait then. I will most likely get the Pre 3 or whatever they come out with.

    I just want to come back to webOS and ditch my iPhone 3GS!

    Thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated.
    I have the original pre-, running webOS 2.1 on it. And it is not bad. You can install the 2.1 on the pre- or pre plus using meta-doctor script. It's pretty easy to do. And I have to say it made me love my phone again. But you do need to overclock it to be really usable.
    But my point is, it is still an option for you to get a pre. I would get a GSM pre plus version and doctor it to 2.1.
    So she asked: "What is it with you? Is it ignorance, or is it apathy? And I answered: "I don't know and I don't care."
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by chertik0ff View Post
    I have the original pre-, running webOS 2.1 on it. And it is not bad. You can install the 2.1 on the pre- or pre plus using meta-doctor script. It's pretty easy to do. And I have to say it made me love my phone again. But you do need to overclock it to be really usable.
    But my point is, it is still an option for you to get a pre. I would get a GSM pre plus version and doctor it to 2.1.
    True, but that comes back to what I said previously, buying a three year old phone and forcing it to cope with the new technology may be fine for a bit, but it won't last long and especially if its your main phone, you are better off putting your money into something that will last.

    My complete recommendation would involve waiting for the new phones. And odds on, if a Pre 2 is too expensive, the Pre 3 will be too, so I'd aim for the Veer as it is rumoured to only be about 200 bucks. And also, it is coming out in about a month so it isn't too long of a wait compared to the Pre 3.

    Lastly, when the Pre 3 comes out, you can expect a price drop on the Pre 2, how much that drop will be one cannot say.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by gauravity View Post
    Hi guys,

    First post here but I've been watching over you all from the backseat

    Long story short: I think I might be buying a Pre tomorrow to use on O2-UK.

    I first had the Pre when it launched in October ’09 here in the UK but shortly sold it to go to the iPhone (3GS). I didn't want to wait for Palm to fix the battery issues and the lack of apps was quite poor back then.

    2 years on, HP have now bought Palm and I'm still in love with webOS and I see a big future for it and I want to get back to the OS that I think is far superior to anything I've used (and I've used them all (bar Windows Phone 7))

    I do have a couple of questions though:

    1) How does the Pre hold up nowadays?
    I know it's pretty old hardware, things have moved on, but if anyone still has one, is it usable? Hangups? Slow downs? Freezes?

    I am coming from an iPhone 3GS so I understand the hardware isn't as fast, etc, but have Palm optimised webOS for the Pre?

    2) Battery
    This is probably the main reason why I gave back the phone. It probably lasted on average, 6 hours or so. I'm not sure but I was taken back by it.

    3) OTA Updates
    Having said all of the above, and that the Pre³ and other much faster webOS devices are looming, will the Pre still get some love with 3.0? 2.x updates? I understand 2.1 is the latest.

    Many thanks guys.
    To give you advise that will give you the best experience of webOS, settle nothing less than a Pre2. If you're not willing to drop the coin to get it now, wait for the Pre3 to come out and vendor start doing clearance sales of the Pre2 or just get the Pre3 subsidized by your carrier. The Pre/Pre Plus was a GREAT phone back then but not in the hear and now.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

    www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by chertik0ff View Post
    I have the original pre-, running webOS 2.1 on it. And it is not bad. You can install the 2.1 on the pre- or pre plus using meta-doctor script. It's pretty easy to do. And I have to say it made me love my phone again. But you do need to overclock it to be really usable.
    But my point is, it is still an option for you to get a pre. I would get a GSM pre plus version and doctor it to 2.1.
    How usable is the Pre? Do you know how much usage you get from a full charge on average?

    I'll be using it as my main phone (from the iPhone 3GS) and step up to a "proper" HP/Palm handset when the new ones are released. Maybe until Septemberish? Not really fancying the Pre3 to be honest, so I would wait for even newer phones.
  9. #9  
    Avoid the original Pre at all costs.

    If you overclock the Pre Plus and run 2.1 it will be nearly as good as the Pre2. If you just want something to tide you over till the Pre3 is released the 3.0 issue wont effect you.

    I've got a Pre 2 on order and hope to get a few quid for my old Pre-. Also when the Pre3 comes out I will sell the Pre2 and hopefully wont be too out of pocket in the long run.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    The Pre 2 is the only already released device getting 3.x when it is ready...
    Was this ever officially announced? Wait, does it even matter?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by gauravity View Post
    How usable is the Pre? Do you know how much usage you get from a full charge on average?

    I'll be using it as my main phone (from the iPhone 3GS) and step up to a "proper" HP/Palm handset when the new ones are released. Maybe until Septemberish? Not really fancying the Pre3 to be honest, so I would wait for even newer phones.
    I agree with hagster on getting the pre plus instead of original pre. It runs much snapier than my pre (-). I get almost a day worth of good use with one charge. (I charge it over night) But I also have add some juice during the day with my car's touchstone charger... So, I would say it is similar to your Iphone 3GS.
  12. #12  
    I updated my Pre+ to webOS 2.1 and it's been mixed. There are some bugs that need to be worked out, but the overall general operation is usually better than 1.4.5. My GPS actually works now (take that Verizon!), and the email app is much faster with the new database system (especially when emptying the trash folders). The battery lasts significantly longer with 2.1 than 1.4.5. I can go the entire work day without charging it, while working a couple of hours in a bad cell spot in our building, and still have 40-60% battery. If I don't stay in that area, or keep placing the phone in the right spot to keep a couple of bars on it, then the phone will be around 70%. This is with checking emails, occasionally surfing the net, pulling in tweets from twitter, and using some utilities like the calculator or a conversion app I have. This is with my phone set at 800MHz with throttling for screenstate.

    The Pre 2 will obviously give you the best experience for what is out there now. But, with an overclocked Pre Plus, the experience is doable. If the phone starts to become unresponsive, slowing down a good bit, you need to restart it as there appears to be a memory leak in 2.x, which I believe someone else mentioned is related to the audio stack. Hopefully this will be fixed soon. So far it's only happened to me once. But it is there.

    The other option, obviously, is to wait for the Pre 3 or Veer. I would also suspect more form factors to come later in the year.
  13. #13  
    I have just acquired a Pre+ off of Ebay (Verizon version). Running stock with literally one patch, haven't overclocked it.

    Instead...I underclock it. I downclock the processor to half-speed when the phone is idle (just like the Pixi [600Mhz, 128 idle] and the Pre2 [1Ghz, 300Mhzidle] do it).

    In addition, I also purchased a brand new battery (DrBattery app said that the battery off of Ebay only had 800/1150mAh left in it.) With a brand new battery and downclocking when the phone is in standby, it lasts a full day easily enough. (Before I couldn't get my old Pre+ to last a full day at all).

    However, reading the comments in this thread, I agree. I could put 2.x on this Pre+, but in the end I'm not sure but what I should sell it while I still can, and get a real WebOS phone later to replace my Pixi.

    I'm just not sure. It's nice to have, but I really don't need it, and much better phones are coming in the next few months.

    [Also, I really hope those new phones work with the Palm series touchstones.]
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by twilightomni View Post
    [Also, I really hope those new phones work with the Palm series touchstones.]
    They do. Apparently, however, they don't support the feature in Exhibition that allows the phone to run different Exhibition modes based on which Touchstone it's on. Apparently the new version of Touchstone will add something that will allow the phone to identify it.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by chertik0ff View Post
    I agree with hagster on getting the pre plus instead of original pre. It runs much snapier than my pre (-). I get almost a day worth of good use with one charge. (I charge it over night) But I also have add some juice during the day with my car's touchstone charger... So, I would say it is similar to your Iphone 3GS.
    Completely agree with the Pre+ over the Pre-. I just completed my upgrade this past weekend, and WOW what a difference 512MB of RAM makes (vs 256MB in Pre-). This is the way the Pre- should have been from the start. But the advantage of the extra RAM also seems to provide benefits in battery life. I think the reduced level of swapping even saves battery as writing/reading from ram is a lot less power hungry than frequent swapping to/from flash.

    If you're interested in some additional power savings, you should consider using "Data on Deman" via Mode Switcher. Here's a thread that describes it: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...you-think.html

    The basic idea is that you have mode switcher turn the EVDO data connection on only when you need it. The EVDO connection, combined with synergy constantly trying to use it, consumes a lot of juice. So turn it off until it's needed. This has more than doubled my battery life. Of course, it comes with some tradeoffs, but the battery life is really quite amazing.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 04/05/2011 at 09:51 AM.
    Twitter: dullgeek

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions