Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    I apologize if I missed a thread about this, but I really want to be sure about this. I am being forced (tomorrow) to upgrade my phone, lest I lose my upgrade until November. I definitely want to continue to use my Pre as a wifi only device. Will I be fine just leaving it as is and letting the service be disconnected from it? I would assume it would be fine, I just don't want to lose anything. Thanks in advance.
    Andrew - Sprint Palm Pre, webOS 2.1
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    You'll be fine. You won't loose anything other than the obvious (cellular service). Put it in Airplane Mode, then turn on WiFi.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    I feel like there's a patch for that. When upgrading, they generally say that the phone has to be off for a certain amount of time. Does airplane mode suffice for that?
    Before you upgrade, be sure you use the preware "saved package list", run the save/restore app to back up data, and then copy everything from your usb partition to your PC.

In order to keep using your Pre as a wifi device, you will have to jump through a couple of hoops, but then you will be fine. Once service disconnects, you will be fine in airplane mode. But the first time you connect to the internet over wifi, the phone will realize that you no longer have service. It will log you out and wipe the phone and apps (but not the usb partition).

You will want to run the Palm bypass utility to make your phone functional. If you want to be able to use your current Palm profile, apps, etc, you will then want to install the bypass patch in preware and then run the first-use app. It will let you sign in to your Palm profile and you will be all set.
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Thank you very much. In that case, I will probably just re-doctor using the wifi only 2.1. That's exactly what I wanted to know.

PS: I groan every time I see your sig... then I realize my pointer is elsewhere.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Cantaffordit, you can't just switch it to Airplane mode and keep it there? I thought the Palm Profile was tied to the (Palm) ESN/MEID as opposed to mobile number?
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    every time I've connected via wifi it has done this. I don't know if I was officially in "airplane mode? but I had the phone radio turned off. As long as he is totally backed up, he can try enabling airplane mode and then connecting via wifi. But eventually the phone will figure it out. A restart, swapping the battery, whatever. It will figure out that you have no service and boot you. If you are prepared, you can run the bypass utility, enter dev mode, install preware, add the bypass patch, and be logged back in to your profile in less than 30 minutes. No problem.

I just wish Palm would make this automatic because these are great little mp3 and podcast players...
    ...i've been wifi only for weeks without any issues at all...i just turned off data and phone...on a 2nd device I use airplane mode..same thing..no issues...???
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    ...i've been wifi only for weeks without any issues at all...i just turned off data and phone...on a 2nd device I use airplane mode..same thing..no issues...???
    Have you rebooted the phone yet? Or bought an app?
    ...i reboot every couple days....i've updated all apps, patches, and kernels on both...one even needed to update to 1.4.5. No issues at all...ive got full functionality on both devices.