1.    #1  
    My wife's screen on her pre plus (we'll call it phone 1) was broken. I had an extra pre plus laying around the house (phone 2) so i swaped the screens. The thing is, now phone 1 has the sereal number and profile settings for phone 2 but the NAM for phone 1. does anyone know if the com board is in the screen assembly. Also, if i put the cracked screen back on, will it brick phone 1 since i never transfered the hardware tokens.

Bothe phones are on the Verizon network.
    Bump

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by efd702 View Post
    My wife's screen on her pre plus (we'll call it phone 1) was broken. I had an extra pre plus laying around the house (phone 2) so i swaped the screens. The thing is, now phone 1 has the sereal number and profile settings for phone 2 but the NAM for phone 1. does anyone know if the com board is in the screen assembly. Also, if i put the cracked screen back on, will it brick phone 1 since i never transfered the hardware tokens.

Bothe phones are on the Verizon network.
    Ok, the data storage area, and processor are in the screen half of the phone and the comm board is in the back half of the phone. Your tokens are stored in the front half of the phone. If you Dr. and log into your Palm Profile everything should be fine. The comm board ESN is what is registered with Verizon.

And no, it shouldn't brick either phone if you put the cracked screen back on either back.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    He didnt dr just swapped

Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    He didnt dr just swapped

He will need to Dr. with the stock Verizon Pre Plus Dr. and try logging into his profile. If it turns out he has profile issues, he may need to pull the tokens from the other device and make a meta Dr. run it then stock Dr. again. But I suspect that just running the stock Dr. and logging into his profile will fix him.
  6.    #6  
    I managed to get the profile restored without running dr but the esn still doesn't match. Will dr fix this or should I just let it be
    I managed to get the profile restored without running dr but the esn still doesn't match. Will dr fix this or should I just let it be
    The ESN doesn't match what? It doesn't match the comm board that is actually in the phone?
  8.    #8  
    The esn in device info doesn't match the one on the sticker. Instead it displays the esn of my spare phone
    The esn in device info doesn't match the one on the sticker. Instead it displays the esn of my spare phone
    That is because the sticker is the one that came with the front half of the phone correct? You only swapped the back bezel and comm board right? The ESN is tied to the comm board not the processor and memory.

So device info should show the ESN of what is actually installed, not what is on the sticker. The ESN is not a writable token.
    From what he told me , he never removed the comm board.. He removed front housing assy and swapped those

Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    From what he told me , he never removed the comm board.. He removed front housing assy and swapped those

But changing the back bezel is changing the comm board, the sticker that the ESN is on is not attached to the back bezel. If you were to disassemble the slider further you could swap that over with the sticker but that is much more intricate work than six screws, two ribbon cables and a volume rocker.

This should answer my question... Did he swap keyboards or keep the keyboard with the good screen?
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 03/31/2011 at 07:18 AM.
  12.    #12  
    The sticker and comm board are the one- that came with from phone 1 and the screen is from phone 2. I never had to call verizon to change phones so I got the right comm board. The only thing is in device info the esn doesn't match the board that is in her phone.
    The sticker and comm board are the one- that came with from phone 1 and the screen is from phone 2. I never had to call verizon to change phones so I got the right comm board. The only thing is in device info the esn doesn't match the board that is in her phone.
    So you completely removed the entire slider mechanism and swapped the entire back half of one phone with the other?

Or you pulled the sticker out of the phone that you got the comm board from and swapped it too?

The reason I am being so specific is the ESN is hardcoded into the comm board. You cannot change it, in fact it is a felony to change it. If you are absolutely certain that it is reporting incorrectly then DR the phone like I suggested in my first response. If it still reports what you believe is the wrong ESN... then you weren't absolutely certain.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    So you completely removed the entire slider mechanism and swapped the entire back half of one phone with the other?

Or you pulled the sticker out of the phone that you got the comm board from and swapped it too?

The reason I am being so specific is the ESN is hardcoded into the comm board. You cannot change it, in fact it is a felony to change it. If you are absolutely certain that it is reporting incorrectly then DR the phone like I suggested in my first response. If it still reports what you believe is the wrong ESN... then you weren't absolutely certain.
    Thank You ..!! Thats what ive been saying!!

15.    #15  
    But changing the back bezel is changing the comm board, the sticker that the ESN is on is not attached to the back bezel. If you were to disassemble the slider further you could swap that over with the sticker but that is much more intricate work than six screws, two ribbon cables and a volume rocker.

This should answer my question... Did he swap keyboards or keep the keyboard with the good screen?
    I kept the original back bazel and keyboard and swapped screens so the if the comm board is in the keyboard the esn should match
  16.    #16  

I completely removed the slider and swapped the screen, keeping the back half of my wife's phone. Plus if I had the wrong com board, why was it still registered with her NAM
    I completely removed the slider and swapped the screen, keeping the back half of my wife's phone. Plus if I had the wrong com board, why was it still registered with her NAM
    Then Dr. away and see what you end up with. It may pull that information during the Dr. I don't know for sure, but would have assumed at the very least it would real time check that. If that info survives a Dr. and isn't accurate and matching when it's done, then burn it... it's possessed.
    Maybe we're just mixing up terms ... is this a discussion about the "Serial Number" (which is loosely tied to the memory board) or about the "ESN" (which is tightly tied to the comm board).

Also what's the history of phone #2? Was it previously activated as your wife's phone and then turned off and left unused when the #1 phone was activated for her? Was it never activated? Was it used for any other conversions?
    This makes sense and i believe it he has confirmed it...
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    Maybe we're just mixing up terms ... is this a discussion about the "Serial Number" (which is loosely tied to the memory board) or about the "ESN" (which is tightly tied to the comm board).

Also what's the history of phone #2? Was it previously activated as your wife's phone and then turned off and left unused when the #1 phone was activated for her? Was it never activated? Was it used for any other conversions?
    Thanks, I thought they were the same. When I called verizon they had the correct esn in their system. For some reason they were reluctant to tell me what esn was on the account and I had to call back 3 times till I got someone who would.