1.    #1  
    Hey all,

I just registered to see if anyone can help me out getting data back off my Bricked Pre's internal USB drive. The phone is officially dead, I've tried everything possible to get it to boot, including recovery mode and WebOS Doctor, and nothing is working at all. When turned on, the "palm" logo appears (not pulsing) for about 10 seconds before the screen flickers and starts all over. I have a new Pre and I logged into my palm profile to download all my backed-up data, but there are some files on the USB drive that I would really like to get back. Any help will be great!

Palm Pre on Bell network, was WebOS 1.4.5 until the crash.
  2.    #2  
    Two more points I forgot to mention. I've tried "WebOS Repair Utility" I found here on PreCentral with no luck. Program hangs while trying to load the devices build info. Also, with regards to WebOS Doctor, at 4% the phone seems to reset and I get a "Disconnected" error message....
    You weren't able to doctor your device in recovery mode? Or is it still not booting after the doctoring process? It is very difficult to brick your pre you know...
    So she asked: "What is it with you? Is it ignorance, or is it apathy? And I answered: "I don't know and I don't care."
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    I've had this problem where it would not get past the boot logo. I held down the power button and switched the ringer switch back and forth multiple times.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Glad you liked that, GFN :-)
    So she asked: "What is it with you? Is it ignorance, or is it apathy? And I answered: "I don't know and I don't care."
    Back to OP:
    Before completely giving up, try this wiki page
    Good luck.
    Memboot - WebOS Internals
  7.    #7  
    Hey everyone... thanks for all the speedy responses... To clarify, the WebOS Doctor doesn't work. When the progress bar reaches 4% the phone resets itself and the WOSD gives me the "Disconnected" error. The battery is fully charged when I attempt to run the OS Doc and it is in recovery mode.

As for holding the power button and switching the ringer button, that doesn't work either. The phone doesn't boot enough to recognize any key combos before resetting. (Except for Recovery Mode Vol + Pwr), which means that Opt + Sym + R doesn't work, nor does Opt + Sym + U.

Thanks again for all your help... I'm currently trying the How to Recover - WebOS Internals trick now and I'll keep you posted. Just as a reminder, my service provider already sent me a new Pre, so I really don't care about salvaging this one, but am more concerned with getting my files back off the USB drive....
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Any luck? I tried installing the iPhone user spoof through novaterm and it pushed it but when it came to restarting the device, it won't go past the Palm logo (GSM Pre+ on 1.4.5). Trying out the repair utility, hoping it'll work.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Well the repair utility and memboot both failed, seems my Pre+ is well and truly borked. Guess I'll just have to DR it. Although I've got dusted off my old Pixi+ and am using that for the time being, I think I'll just wipe my Pre+ and install 2.1 on it. No chance of saving those sms's
    Quote Originally Posted by brilejr View Post
    Just as a reminder, my service provider already sent me a new Pre, so I really don't care about salvaging this one, but am more concerned with getting my files back off the USB drive....
    Any news?
    Had this problem before...your phone is done. Hope you have the insurance to get a new one on warranty.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    So I DR'd my Pre+ back to 1.4.5 then meta'd it up to 2.1 and installed Preware and Govnah, oc'd to 1ghz and got all accounts up and running. I emailed all my memos to myself and contacts/calendar are in the cloud anyway. All my apps redownloaded and Palm has my profile down as 2.1 so all in all, I'm a happy customer
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    I've had this problem where it would not get past the boot logo. I held down the power button and switched the ringer switch back and forth multiple times.
    OMG You saved my life! I just had this problem with a Veer I just bought on eBay. It worked!